Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The life of Losthope's 1954 Ford!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LostHope, Aug 31, 2011.

1. It really looks great! For the rubber on the skirts, try the hardware store weatherstrip section. They have a black D shape that should work well.

2. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks, Ill have to check out what my hardware store carries...

Got one wheel done:

got the die grinder out and started scuffing up the rim, i took the most outer edge to bare metal but didnt get to crazy on the center since the cap will cover most the rim,and dont want to drive my neighbor nuts with the compressor constantly kicking on next to thier house:
    [​IMG]
    Primered and painted(all i had was a can of flat black in the shed , i might repaint them gloss black):
    [​IMG]
    and with the cap:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tragic59

tragic59

Great job, dude. I wish I had your energy. Or is it just all your "spare time"? LOL.

4. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks "Cactus1", I went to home depot and think i found the "D" shape weather stripping you suggested, they only had this kind and the other square foam type, my pops used the square foam style on his skirts and I didnt really like how it turned out and was on the fence on what to use but this "D" style looks like it should work out and not look out of place thanks for the lead on what to use..And for around $6 you get two strips that are 8 1/2 feet each cant beat that!........I'll try and install it on the skirts tomorrow and snap a picture or two:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. LostHope

LostHope

Haha Both! Amazing what you get accomplished when you stop drinking....I wonder what my car would look like if i didnt waste all those years and money partying all the time...oh well it was fun living the fast life, now im just having fun with my ol' skools! Need to get you to start drawing me up some more tattoos for santa maria car show. Ill hold the tattoo equipment in my lap all the way to the car show if there not enough space left in the car! LOL

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  6. tragic59

tragic59

Haha! Let me know what we will be working on... I'm looking forward to the trip.

7. LostHope

LostHope

Been a lazy day today but did try out the weather stripping on the skirts(still need to paint rear wheels black), It fit perfect far as the width of the material and the width of the metal edge:
    [​IMG]
    Im very pleased!!!it makes the skirts fit nice and tight against the fender, It will for sure keep any rattling down that the skirt may make, and it looks almost like the factory rubber right now i just have it mocked up need to fit it better but have to pull the rear wheels for paint first:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  8. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Losthope,
    Would it be possible for you to take pictures from the back side of how they mount. As if you were in the wheel well. Id like to see exactly how you used those clamps and how the hardware/brackets?? interface with the fender. I bought a pair of fiberglass skirts for my 41 Chevy and they have no brackets at all on them.
    Thanks,
    Paul

9. LostHope

LostHope

No problem man!

This is the only pair of fender skirts ive owned so i dont know if they are all the same or not but on mine if you look in at this picture it has a bracket on each end...this is where i needed the clamps to hold the bottom of the skirts to the fender, my skirts also have the center lever clamp for holding the top:
    [​IMG]

I just clamped the brackets to the lip of the fenders on the bottoms, worked out pretty good because i can just loosen them if i need to get them off on the side of the road:
    [​IMG]

another shot:
    [​IMG]

kinda crappy picture but tried to show how its just sandwiching the skirt and fender lip together,and also how the thumb screw mounts at a angle so it holds it away from the fender so its easy to unscrew:
    [​IMG]

Hope that helps cheers!

10. Nice! I'm glad that stuff worked out. I used it for the cowl and door seals on my '34 and it worked a treat.

11. LostHope

LostHope

Not alot going on lately but I did pick up the newley rebuilt carter afb 500cfm carb from the shop and swapped that on instead of the edelbrock 600 cfm carb that i had on it to get it running,besides a really dirty air cleaner now the y-block should be in is happy place with the 500cfm's....
    [​IMG]

I also picked up some valve cover gaskets and finally got around to putting on the set of original stamped chromed valve covers(not chinese repops) i picked up a few years back at the sacramento swap meet..I eventually want some old school finned covers moneys tight at the moment and i have these on hand.....my engine bay is dirty as hell from sanding lately but here a few pictures:

Old painted black valve covers:
    [​IMG]

chromed valve covers:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  12. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man...I haven't checked on you in a while but see that you, as usual, are moving right along!!! I LOVE the wheels and skirts!!! Excellent job!! The chrome valve covers are the tits too!! It's nice to use soem parts that you've been stashing for so long!!

Keep it up, Bro!!!

Also.. I couldn't agree with you more when you said that, "Amazing what you get accomplished when you stop drinking...."

HAHAHA!!! That is VERY true!!!!!!!!

13. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Who dropping all these cool parts, every post from you is " I picked up these __________today and they are great"

I'm kidding, your car is turning out great, nice to see a group of friends working together and you using what you can to make things work, good job.

Godspeed
    MrC.

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah...good thread. Great car.

15. chopd top

chopd top
    from Florida
    1. HAMB Relays

16. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks everyone ! Not much going on lately besides driving the truck around and trying to work the kink's out of it since its my daily now,and the landlord has been next door for the past week fixing up the house next door to rent out so havent did any major work on the builds, good news is that I have a big electrical job wiring a custom home that starts on the 9th thats out of town that should last a couple months so ill be busy working on that so when i come back should have some money to put into the 54 maybe get some primer and finish getting it in one color, in the mean time I went out and washed it and took a picture to stay motivated and something to look at when im out of town....Enjoy!:
    [​IMG]

17. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Man, that 54 is comin along! Looks great too.. The body style reminds me of an old metropolitan that's been on the back of my grandmothers land for 30 years.. The ford is a hell of a lot better lookin of a car tho! I saved a couple of those door lights from the scrap yard awhile back and plan on puttin em in my 64, love the look

18. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man...you have come about a million miles with this '54. Unreal. Not sure which I like better, the '54 or the C-10. Both are a real study in hot rodding and the flavor and what it's all about. Glad that I found both of these on the HAMB.

19. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

great thread! lots of work, but tastfully done!

20. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Hey Bro....anything new with the 54?? I see that you've been messing around withthe truck but I thought that I'd check in on the 54 too. You been driving it much this summer??

21. LostHope

LostHope

Been working so much out of town havent had much time for either the 54 or the truck, I did buy a new battery for it and started it up and let it run for a bit....I have it on non op. at the moment but in a couple months I plan driving it around.

22. LostHope

LostHope

Had A little spare time to work on the ford! I had cut the springs a long time ago and remember only having a inch or so of travel with the bump stops cut in half , but over the years of sitting I guess the springs sagged some more and was riding on bump stops, and the ride was shit....So I finally bought the ford aero star springs everyone's using:
    [​IMG]

Here's the before pictures with the front riding on the bump stops, I Loved the way the whitewall just started to tuck under the fender lip:
    [​IMG]

It measured 24 1/4":
    [​IMG]

Got the front end up in the air and started taking it apart:
    [​IMG]

When I compared the new springs with thw cut springs I was kinda skeptical if they were going to work since the cut springs were taller?:
    [​IMG]

With the new springs in with the car on the ground it now measured 26"
    raising the car back up 1 3/4" in the front:
    [​IMG]

I guess it dosent look to bad, but WOW at first it felt like it was a 4x4 when I let the jack down.....its not tucking the whitewall anymore but it gave me some room between the bump stops and id rather have function over looks at this point....Might lower the back a little more and try and give it a little of a tail dragger look:
    [​IMG]

until next time!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  23. Damn Dude! You're an inspiration.

24. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

25. murfman

murfman

coming along nicely

26. tattoodj

tattoodj
    from sc

u wouldnt happen to know where i could score some fenders would u?

27. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks guys!

Sorry man I'm on the look out for some fenders myself!

28. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Glad to see that you're able to get a few things done! I agree with you too about function over looks. Besides....I think that it looks great with the new height and if it keep syou from bottoming out the springs then it's a must!!! Love this car!!!!

29. I've followed your build for a while, and its coming along really well. Super adventurous, and looks really nice. I'm sure I'll be out in california someday to see it in person