Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Levee Leveler (A Single Seat Racer Circa 1934)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Oh man that looks like a good time! Thanks for the vid! I'd like to have that 120 Jag that was whipping around the track!!

Thanks man! Sounds good.
    I think they were working on that expansion when we were there last. Such a great collection!

2. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Are you using cut off nails to hold up all of the tools on the tool wall? It looks pretty cool.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

We are getting some weather so I'm going to bet on Cactus being busy for a while so I don't feel like I'm stepping out of place by saying that yes his tools are held by some sort of nail arrangement into thick plywood.

4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

These K8 car plans and an article were submitted to Ray Kuns for his "Automobile Racing" series of publications by Walter Klausler who at that time was the Auto Shop instructor at North High School in Minneapolis, MN. They appeared in the 5th edition on pages 30-35 which was published in 1939. Kuns started the series in 1930 and did the last edition, #6 in 1947.

Klausler's students built these cars during the 30's in the school shop to learn auto mechanics and to not do outside work that would take income away from professional garages during the depression. Some of the cars were sold to racers such as Russ Lee and Billy Snyder. Walt also owned a number of them and used them in the lesser IMCA fair races he promoted during his summers, hiring drivers to make up his field of 10-12 cars. Races at that time might consist of time trials, two 6 lap heat races with half the cars in each, a 4 lap trophy dash for the 4 fastest cars and a 10 or 12 lap feature for all cars, with a thrill show intermission like an airplane crash into a building, a parachute jump, a wing walker, or a motorcycle crashing through a burning building.

I worked with Walt and was very close to him until his death and wrote a 5 page biography of him in the mid '90's that was published in an IMCA Oldtimers newsletter the year he was our honoree of the year.

brEad, Atwater Mike, Tman and 6 others like this.
  5. Dustyrelics

Dustyrelics

I picked up this post card at a garage sale showing the early racing that used to be held at many fairgrounds. Thought it fit this thread.

29e3e218-6e16-4e33-944f-631efd9a729d.jpg

brEad, Atwater Mike, dad-bud and 3 others like this.
  6. Fantastic! Thanks so much for the history!

Yes! That's exactly the feeling I'm after! I'll have to print that out for my inspiration wall. Thanks for checking in!

7. Yes, @Tim....nailed it! ;)

Atwater Mike likes this.
  8. 97

Wow that made it extra well worthwhile posting the plans. I have built two big cars from these plans and have another on the way. Have also scaled them to build a body for a vintage midget which I restored here in NZ....Great to know the back story after all these years, I have always believed they were drawn by Ray Kuns.
    The books must have been sold around the world, I know of at least 6 survivor race cars in NZ built wholly or partially from these two simple plan sheets, more in Australia and South Africa. I can only imagine how many were built in the USA, and still cars being built today to the old plans....amazing.

hipster, volvobrynk and cactus1 like this.
  9. Instead of making a new front motor mount why not use a Model B. You have three different ones to choose from and can use the V8 rubber donuts.

10. I wanted one but couldn't find one before I started making mine...
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

ClarkH, gwhite, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  11. Then I made these to bolt to the frame. I wanted them to resemble the body mounts as I like their shape.

image.jpeg

More rubber "stoppers."
    image.jpeg

brEad, ClarkH, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  12. So neat man! In 07 I talked to a guy at the Pileup about a vintage sprinter he had. really would like to build one at some point!

cactus1 and volvobrynk like this.
  13. autobilly

autobilly

Terrific build, those Miller 91's have long been my favourite "roundy racers".

cactus1 likes this.
  14. cretin

cretin

Pretty cool. Interested to see this one come together.

cactus1 likes this.
  15. A thread popped up today that reminded me of a couple pics I forgot to share. I was fortunate enough to get one of Kevin Lee's steering wheels to use for this project. The only problem is that it is way too nice for the first iteration of the racer. He has given me his blessing to scrud it up but I'm not sure I can do it just yet!

image.jpeg
    While perusing the swap meet this spring I spotted this Bell(?) 17" wheel and snapped it up.

image.jpeg

I cleaned it up a little and I will probably wrap it with friction tape to use for the "as found" version of the car.
    image.jpeg

It will get connected to a Model A box that will be set up for center steer kinda like this mess on my buddy's old track T.

image.jpeg

brEad, Stogy, bct and 3 others like this.
  16. Here it is drilled and bolted up. I will be gusseting it either top or bottom (haven't decided which yet?)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here's a mockup of a proposed grille shape. I've also toyed with the idea of modifying a '32 shell.

image.jpeg

Then it was onto the transmission. I had this one attached to another engine that is destined for the T roadster I spoke of earlier. I have a 'B' trans that I'll use for that one and put later gears in it.
    image.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    brEad, gwhite, whtbaron and 5 others like this.
  17. With the transmission cleaned and bolted up it was time to sort the driveshaft. I had some tubing lying about that was close enough in diameter to aide in mockup and final measurements. I've never messed with a closed driveline before so I've been dreading this part!

image.jpeg

I also did a little bending on the shifter trying to figure out the seating position.

image.jpeg

Here we go...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

I've been preheating with the rosebud to get good penetration with the little welder. (And a heavy 'V' groove of course)
    image.jpeg

And here it is back in place.
    image.jpeg

gwhite, Stogy, bct and 3 others like this.
  18. 97

Just make sure it is tall enough to allow you to fit the Hal DOHC when you find your one!!:cool::cool:

19. 55willys

55willys

I really like using those model A tie rod ends on things, I scavenge every one I can find. I also used the F5 drag link ones on my friends modified. I really like the whole build so far. Good use of repurposed parts that nobody really wants to use for anything else anyway.

Atwater Mike and cactus1 like this.
  20. cretin

cretin

Looking good. I hope you stick with that grill rather than a '32. It's not often I say that.

gwhite and Atwater Mike like this.
  21. Wouldn't THAT be nice?! :)

They are a great looking part! I have an F-1 drag link that I will modify to use for this as well. And thanks!

22. Yeah, I will most likely attempt to bang something out? I have seen a few cars that look like modified stock grilles so it is just a thought. This one sorta resembles a '32 shell. image.png

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sorta looks like a narrowed 37 truck grill with the bottom nipped off, either way may be easier to bang something out than to turn something into a jigsaw puzzle.

24. I think it will be a puzzle no matter how I attack it! ;)

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Fair enough! I'll come take a look ;)

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is one of the most exciting thing to watch come together. Really excited for you PDP!

cactus1 likes this.
  27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAMB power never ceases to amaze. Fantastic history lesson, very cool shit. Looking good, Mike!

cactus1 likes this.
  28. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Maybe you can hit a scrap metal yard find an aluminum or stainless steel tank or large container and cut and polish one out of that. Might look a bit like the old millers. Just a thought. Joe

cactus1 likes this.
  29. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Hey, I just caught up on the Levee thread. Looking great!

cactus1 likes this.
  30. Thanks everyone! So this is weird... After all that grille talk yesterday morning I went to run a few errands and when I happened by the antique store this was beckoning to me from the sidewalk! $35 later and it was mine.

image.png

Now I know it's a tractor grille (Allis Chalmers from what I can tell?) but it reminded me a lot of this one...
    image.jpeg

Before paint 1927
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So, while not exactly what I envisioned it could work with a little slicing and dicing? For $35 I certainly was not going to leave it behind, ha!

brEad, ClarkH, gwhite and 7 others like this.