Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The latest project at Jokerr Fabrication

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rooman, Nov 28, 2014.

1. 117harv

117harv

WOW, outstanding craftsmanship, beautiful welding...thanks for sharing.

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

That is one cool Hot Rod your building.

3. racemad55

racemad55

Beautiful work !

4. fishslayer82

fishslayer82

Love the Jokerr style. I see its got a nailhead, Gonna be black right??

5. Roadsir

Roadsir

That some great fab work. Man that body is cherry....
    Maybe I missed it but what was the total chop? 4? 4.5? Little deceiving with the windshield laid back.

6. rooman

rooman

Now that the body is a Ryan's getting painted it is time for some chassis construction details.
    First up, notice that the frame is not boxed. Joe and Marty reasoned that as the 33 body is a lot more rigid due to the way the floor is dropped below the frame rails in the rear (behind the front seats) and also mounted in both planes with bolts through both the top and the sides of the rails there was no need to add boxing plates. The additional tubing that houses the torsion bars and the gussets that tie them to the frame also adds a lot of strength to the frame in the front where most of the torque loading is concentrated. Joe did use a couple of tricks to tighten everything up and we will show you them down the road a bit.
    [​IMG]

The rear end is a genuine Halibrand Champ unit with adapter rings so that early Ford axle tubes will bolt up.
    [​IMG]
    This photo shows quite a bit. The main focus is on the engine mount but you can also see a bit of the custom cross member that Joe built and looking down under the mount the beginnings of the torsion bar tubes are visible.
    [​IMG]

This one shows the engine mount bracket itself
    [​IMG]

As well as showing the mount pad in place this shot also shows the original style lever action shock tucked away into the corner
    [​IMG]

And here we have an overall view of the front cross member with the V8-60 axle lurking under the rails.
    [​IMG]

The view from above with the shock arms in place
    [​IMG]

The center cross member has a drop out section for serviceability. Disregard the square nut, it is just what Joe picked up to hang everything together
    [​IMG]

Master cylinders mounted and you can also see the rear mount for the split wishbone. Note that the outer end of the short lateral tube behind the master cylinders ties to the frame rail adjacent to the wishbone mount and also ties in to the X in line with the gearbox cross member.
    [​IMG]

Slightly obscured here but you can get an idea of the cool mount for the back of the wishbone.
    [​IMG]
    Here is an overall view of the frame with all of the tubing in place. Next time we will have a closer look at the rear suspension and some other frame details including the exhaust plumbing. Quick quiz--what is different regarding the frame itself.
    [​IMG]
    Roo

7. rooman

rooman

OK, now here is the rear of the chassis. You will also see the exhaust system progress in some of these photos and we will take a closer look at that as well.

Once again because of the dropped rear floor some of the components had to be kept well below the top of the frame rails. You can see here how the upper arms of the triangulated four link are bracketed to the front side of the axle tubes. There are two reasons for this with the first being the lack of clearance above the axle housing. As we showed earlier in the body photos the tail pipes actually come up through the trunk floor as they pass over the housing. The second reason is that the front of the link also needs to be low to keep the suspension geometry correct and avoid unacceptable pinion angularity as the suspension articulates
    [​IMG]

The redundant holes in the rails were welded and ground
    [​IMG]

Last time we talked about the fact that the frame is not boxed and here is one of the reasons that joe felt it was unnecessary. Where the factory cross member/x bracing runs parallel to the frame Joe welded everything together, rosetting the holes and also fusing the edges of the flanges.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the stop for the torsion bar anchor/adjuster
    [​IMG]

And here is the arm and adjuster bolt in place. You can also see how the front mount for the upper four link bar is tied back into the frame structure along with the fact that the lateral tubes tie the various elements of the frame together.
    [​IMG]

Just an overall view of how it all fits together
    [​IMG]

If you scroll up to the torsion adjuster photo you can also see the original frame mount for the panhard bar which was a clevis attached to the side of the rail itself. When Joe added to two lateral tubes from the arched cross member above the pinion he added a boss to the right hand tube to mount the chassis end of the bar. The lateral tubes had been added to better brace the arm end of the torsion bar tube
    [​IMG]

A top view of the overall package with the entire exhaust system in place and mounted
    [​IMG]

As well as another look at everything these photos also shows the spreader bar which Joe bent to follow the lower body contour.
    [​IMG]

Here is a closer look at the now fully welded exhaust and also a better view of the upper four link mount
    [​IMG]

Due to the way that it winds through the frame the exhaust system has multiple slip jointed and tabbed connections.
    [​IMG]
    The exhaust system is in place in this photo which serves to illustrate the fact that no part of it is visible below the frame rails
    [​IMG]

Note the flex connector in the down pipe from the header itself
    [​IMG]

Just a few more detail shots of the suspension components.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The modified shock arms along with the rear spreader bar prior to final welding
    [​IMG]

Time to hoist the engine and trans and finish up any little details before sending the chassis to the painter
    [​IMG]
    Roo

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Oh my. This is just so cool. Iz be in love, luv. Gary

9. 80WTI

80WTI

Your workmanship and fabrication skills are outstanding mate, love what you are doing and look forward to future posts. Lee

10. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

wow, amazing work and details....... i love the custom brackets everywhere

11. Can you tell us exactly what you have done to the shock arms to compensate for the inboard mounting position? Lengthen and bend? I know 3w Larry had these on his coupe and it had issues. I think the Rolling Bones guys now use friction shocks instead ? I have a set of Houdaille's I am using, but may just keep them in the original position.

By the way, amazing details in the chassis, going to be a sweet car when finished. Eagerly awaiting more updates.

Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. hipster

hipster

Sharp! Thanks for the info!

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay, I liked the body work, and I thought that was a hard one to beat. But this is fucking awesome! That kicked ass.

That is an hardcore frame set up!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

Wow ! Looking real good marty !

15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

How did I miss this one? Super nice fabrication reflecting great talent and skills. The chassis is a work of art and should be a smooth riding axle hot rod — I like it!

16. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like the stock '33 position. They went back outboard in '34 again. As long as a guy keeps the arms the stock length, the ratios shouldn't change and the shock should work as Ford designed.

17. gonzo

gonzo

Wow great work. Given the quality of the chassis work I'd say its a miracle there were no hidden sins in the body. So nice!

18. Meyer

Meyer

19. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

beautiful workmanship! cannt wait to see it finished! roo im coming down to see you.

20. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Where did you get the wishbone ends, what are they from?
    Same with the shocks?
    Awesome build!!!

21. Look up CTaulbert Corey makes, and sells his own tie rod end wishbone bungs.

The shocks were made by French company named Houdaille, and were original equipment on early fords. There are a few places that will rebuild them, sometimes finding rebuildable cores can be a head ache. The place i used supplied the cores so it saved the guessing.

JasonCarGuy likes this.
  22. rooman

rooman

Thanks mate, saved me the trouble. The shocks are indeed swap meet finds that were rebuilt.

Roo

23. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

love jokerrs stuff, always interesting

24. Holy Cow,the fabrication on this coupe is nothing short of stellar!

We could all learn something from the amazing work from these capable hands. HRP

25. What a great build keep the updates coming.

26. 3day

3day
    from UK

Stunning coupe

27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Love the Lever action shocks and the slick hidden mounts!

28. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

Get build, did I miss the name of mfg. for that cowl steering box. It's tiny and perfect. Who makes it? I what's robbed from?

29. Welderboy60

Welderboy60

Great "English ".

30. basicbob

basicbob

It has been an honor to see each of Jo Kerr builds thru out the process. Amazing how far forward Jo's thinking & fabrication skills allow him "Function & Design" in the final product.

(Welderboy60) I beleive the steering box is one of Jo's F100 steering box cowl conversion builds.

Thanks Rooman for the pics & Jo for sharing his handi work.