Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

With this section tacked in place, a further relief cut was made at right angles to our very first relief cut. With this new cut made and the intersection of this and our first cut tacked; this area was holding it's shape nicely. When all this is eventually TIG welded ( we are tacking with the MIG ) and hammered as we go, the minimal amount of stress and tension in the roof at the moment; will be relieved and a minimum of hammer and dolly work will be required.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Whilst we have shown images of progress on both sides of the roof, we have only got the bulk of the left side done. This side still requires further work in the form of filler pieces and aligning the window frame joins. All in all Frank is very pleased how it is all looking.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Super bitchin' build...

4. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Well after I made those earlier posts this morning, I went and did some work on the Last Grasp's dash.
    Basically I marked out where the new centre insert would go. Cut out the piece that would be removed. Did a fair amount of final fitting and then tacked the new piece in.
    I am very happy with how it looks. I will proabably get it welded next weekend!
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. This is all very interesting to see! Thanks for sharing with us.
    I like the work on the dashes.

~Alden

6. rattlesnakehoey

rattlesnakehoey
    from Australia

Enjoying the build Geoff, please let me know when you intend on heading down to Tony's. I'd really dig heading surfside to distract / annoy / frustrate & maybe even learn from the masters.

7. 63Compact

63Compact

Great job so far guys.

8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Very awesome

9. cool-33

cool-33
    from Australia

Geoff great work on all the posts it has been great learning from you and Tony the chop is coming up great and can't wait to do it again.

10. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks for the comments guys.
    During the week and today I did a bit more striping on the laptop and the bike helmet.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

So after I had done that bit of striping I got stuck into welding the section into the Last Grasp dash. I am really pleased with how it turned out. Still a way to go on the dash, but it is getting there.
    Not long after I had taken photos of the dash, Tony rang, so we talked for and hour and a half. I told him these couple of posts would be done in an hour or so.
    Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Did a bit more on the dash today. Basically marked out and trimmed to fit the lower '32 style section to the upper '34 section. Got it all tacked together and it only requires a bit more fine tuning before being fully welded.
    I am really pleased with how it is turning out!
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Rok 51

Rok 51

Tony and Geoff, Just found this. Haven't read it all yet, but hope you enjoy the build. I will be following along and enjoying the story.

Rocky.

surfgeezer likes this.
  14. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Today I got the dash all welded up. All that is left to do is a bit of hammer and dolly work.
    I have put a fair bit of time into this dash. But it is quite unique and turned out just as I was hoping.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Gerg

Gerg

as always man great work that reminds me i have some posters that need to go across the pond

16. Downunder Deuce

Downunder Deuce

Hey there Geoff, I was just talking to Kuda and asked if he'd heard anything of you and he told me about the coupe that you and Tony are into. What engine will you use in it? Do you still use your coupe? Haven't hadmy roadster out for years, just keep paying the rego... hope you are doing fine....Robbie

17. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Geoff
    Great thread. The dash looks really nice.
    Michael

18. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

So it's been 5 weeks since we last worked on Frank's coupe. In that time I have been working on the Last grasp Special's dash. Yesterday I went down to Carol and Frank's. Where Frank. Tony and I would do a bit more on the chop.
    Of course I took the dash down with me to show the guys. I also took a copy of Jalopy Journal 2 that I had got for Tony. Tony had brought along the new issue of the New Zealand lil magazine, Jammin Gears. Which Tony sends to me each month, well actually Rita sends it to me.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  19. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

So today the plan was to get the right side quarter window up to the stage we had got the left side to the last time we worked on the chop.
    This all went very easily as we knew exactly how to tackle this after having done the left side!
    With this done we then formed the filler pieces to bridge the gaps left from the chop.
    We have decided not to add the filler piece in the quarter window frame area at this stage. We will do this when we have welded the area of the roof just above this. This whole area will require a fair bit of fine tuning and leaving this little piece out will allow us a bit more room on the inside of the roof to have access for the body hammer and or dolly.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

So next we moved onto the left hand door window frame. We decided we wanted to keep the top hinge.
    It all came together well. As time was getting on we just got the window frame pieces tacked on and the next time we will bridge the gap left because of the lowering of the roof.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

21. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

When I had arrived at Carol and Frank's in the morning, their youngest daughter Rachael had asked if I would stripe her laptop for her. Of course I said yes. So after we finished work on the coupe for the day, Rachael bought her laptop out to be striped.
    While Racheal was there I asked if she would take a shot of Frank, Tony and I in front of the coupe. I was sought of inspired to do this, by a thread Tony and I were looking at on the HAMB earlier in the week. Where there were a number of images that had shots of guys in front of their cars. So here is a couple people shots. Frank is the younger guy on the left, Tony is crouching by the left front wheel and that is me behind Tony.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Oh, nearly forgot; here is a shot of Rachael's laptop. We will add more colors to this whodaky another time!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  22. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Looking good...

23. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

good looking chop...

24. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

It's been a month since we last worked on the chop on Frank's coupe. As Tony was up from Port Fairy I went down to Frank and Carol's yesterday to work with Frank and Tony on the chop. We had a good day and have now got the chop up to the stage where, when we next work on it; we will be doing the final welding of this chop!
    Here we can see Tony making the filler section on the right hand door window frame.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Of course one must stand back and admire one's work!
    [​IMG]
    Geoff aka whodaky

25. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Whilst Tony was working on the right door. Frank and I were chopping and refitting the window frame to the left door!
    [​IMG]
    We then started to make the inner and outer filler pieces for this door.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Geoff aka whodaky

26. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

After all the door filler pieces were made and tack welded into place. Triangular filler pieces were made to fill the areas on the rear of the roof where the relief cuts were made, to allow the roof the take the shape it would need to be when completed..[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    As we were fitting these pieces, we were also hammering these areas a bit more to get to almost our desired shape. Of course the final shaping will take place as we hammer weld these areas during the final welding.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Geoff aka whodaky

27. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

So after about 6 hours, we now have the chop ready to weld. As I had said a while back,we will be TIG welding the chop. All the tacking has been done with the MIG. Before we TIG weld each area, we will be grinding the MIG welded tacks flush; both inside and out. This is done as we will be hammering and dollying our TIG welds as we go.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Of course all the best shops have a shop dog. In this case Frank has 2 dogs, Chelsea and Jackson. I managed to get a couple of shots of Jackson as he wandered in and out!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Hey Tony I hope Carol doesn't see that shot. You do remember Jackson is supposed to be on a diet?
    Geoff aka whodaky
    PS Next weekend I am headed off down to Rita and Tony's. So the follwing week I should have some progress shots of the Last Grasp Special

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  28. Gareth

Gareth
    from San Diego

Nice work guys! Thanks for taking the time to do a write up Geoff. I actually passed you going the other way on the monash early sat morning and wondered if you might be headed for Frank's place. Looking forward to more updates.

29. flatoz

flatoz

Enjoying this Geoff,

and the chop is a nice side piece. Both coupes are in good hands.

Funny, I was just staring at the striping you put on my roadster at a Picnic a few years ago yesterday, 'thinking' as you do.

cheers for a great thread.

30. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Great progress guys! Thanks for the pics of Tony's shed... love that place!

Keep us posted gentlemen.

HC... Alex.