Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Hey Mick I will get some copies done and get one to you, this was hanging in my Dads shed for over 20 years. I will let you know once I have one for you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks for the responses guys.
    Glen, I see this is your first post. Welcome to the HAMB and the Last Grasp Thread. Once agan, thankyou for delivering the quickchange.
    I have spent the last 4 days down at Tony and Rita's. Once more I thank them for
    making me feel so welcome. Over the next few days I will give an account of what we got up to during my stay.
    I have only been home an hour or so and am just about ready to hit the sack.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  3. rileyrecords25

rileyrecords25
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I considered buying this car before I purchased my 5 window. I'm glad you guys got ahold of it even if it left the USA. Now I get to enjoy the great build of this car and the legendary story you have shared with all of us. This has to be one of the best threads going here with tons of awesome cars being shown along the way. A small window into whats going on over there.

4. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thankyou Riley.
    As I have said on many occassions on this thread. It takes a lot of work to put the thread together, but I feel it is all worth it when I get such positive comments and posts.
    This body required a lot of work, but Tony and I knew we had the abilities to take it on. It has been a great journey so far and will continue to be.

Geoff aka whodaky

5. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Hi Geoff and Tony,
    please consider this candidate for a haircut.

It is waiting for a proper flat top Bonneville styled slamed and raked pillar job from the masters!!

Attached Files:

6. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Tom, if Tony is up for it, so am I.
    Without meaning any disrespect to the guy who did the original chop. I really want to fix those A pillars and the tops of the doors.
    So as you suggest why not hit the top really hard. I know Tony really wants to chop another Aussie coupe. I have never chopped an Aussie coupe, but using the techniques Tony used on his blue coupe and the thoughts I have, I think we may be able to do something really unique.
    Here's a quick photochop, the real chop will be way different than this though!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

7. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Geoff the coupe definately has been Whodakerized!

Thats the theme but more rake.

But i patiently wait in line, there is already a number of coupes waiting in the driveway!!

definately a cooler look on the term chop shop!!.

8. NSTLGA 33

NSTLGA 33
    from australia

Thanks Gary, that would be awesome, would really appreciate it.

And Geoff. Your always welcome to take some measurements off my coupe should the need arise.

9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Tom you have a way with the queen's English.
    Thankyou Mick, I will keep your offer in mind.
    Okay below is this week's installment of my striping.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

The one below is about 2'' ( 50 mm ) square.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  10. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Tom and Geoff

Along with the chop, may I suggest you "Narrow" the roof when its being chopped.

The aussie coupes widen out as they go upwards from the door to the roof. Robin Cseh and Phil McNally "narrowed" robin's coupe, and it looks so much better.

11. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Mark;
    Yes narrowing the roof at the rear woul be part of the plan. It is one of the things Tony did when he chopped his blue coupe all those years ago. There are also a few other little things we will do, that we have in mind!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Bitchin.

I always wondered why Tony's 5 window looked so good, beside the amount he chopped it, there is something else that makes that Aussie body look so good. Now I know - Narrowing it!!

13. JAWS

JAWS

Bonneville chop like this...?

Attached Files:

14. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Once again Geoff ,I hope you don't mind but after reading Mark's comments about narrowing the rear of the roof got me thinking of a coupe who's chop pre dates Jake's. It was done by Jim Casey (the then owner) and Rob Muston in the early '80's. The rear of the roof was pulled in at the top to straighten (looking from the rear) the C pillars.

[​IMG]

At around the same time I had a '39 Chev sedan which we chopped & converted to a tudor.The Chev was chopped using a second roof ( that Jim & I cut off a car dumped in the bush) so we could easily maintain the original front & rear angles and also only had one weld across the roof. The '34's roof was then filled with a discarded section of the '39's roof.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately Jim didn't finish the car himself. It was at the stage shown in the pics when he sold it.About 6 months later it hit the road full fendered , painted maroon & BBC powered.

15. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392290120.771287.jpg

Some old pics from Port Fairy many years ago, I think about 1999 and Jake 34 was taken in 1987 at Queenscliff?

Garyd

16. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392290839.900604.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392290878.518090.jpg

Some old pics of my roadster at Ballarat 1/8 mile drags, lots of fun....

Garyd

Attached Files:

17. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks as usual for the replies guys.
    Brant, I don't think the chop on Tom's Aussie 5w will be done as radical as the Pierson brother's 3W. As Tom's will be going on the street. But he is keen to have the 'A' pillars layed back, to get what he calls the Bonneville look about the chop and to have it chopped a bit more than it is at present..
    Hey Yblock, no worries on you posting stuff, the more the merrier.
    They are a couple of neat shots of that in progress Aussie 5W. I am sure Tony is wondering about it, if he doesn't know anythng about it's past.
    GaryD, they are great shots.
    Here is an image from last weekend ( I am still getting my act together for the series of posts from last weekend). This is a little tool box Tony painted up to go in the boot of his roadster.

Geoff aka whokay

[​IMG]

18. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Hi YBlock thanks for sharing some if Austrslias unique hot rod history! Excuse my ignorance did this coupe hit the road? How did it look when complete? Perhaps I am biased but I prefer the Aussie five window over the American version as long as it is chopped RIGHT!!!

19. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

This is how it looked at the '86 Melbourne Hot Rod Show.Peter Bromage bought the coupe off Jim and finished it in a matter of months.Last I heard it was down the peninsular somewhere.
    [​IMG]

... and guess what else was on display at the same show ??
    [​IMG]

20. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Didn't Peter Bromage build another 34?

Or was it his brother???

21. Wardog

Wardog

Yblock32, The hay stack photo looks a lot like an early photo I have seen of Eddy Fords coupe. Geoff I know for a fact Gary would have no problems if you and Tony wanted to measure the old Jake coupe for reference.

22. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Prior to buying & finishing Jim's coupe he had a chopped , full fendered yellow one with ( I think ) chrome tru-spokes.

23. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Yes I do remember a yellow one.

Funny how we store all this crap in or tiny little alcohol soaked brains :D

24. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I'm lovin seeing all these Aussie 5Ws. You are a valuable source of information Yblock. Once again I thankyou for your input . Maybe centrelines on the Peter Bromage coupe?
    I still haven't got my act together to get the posts happening from last weekend, but they will happen.
    However I did borrow a number of photos from Tony that I will be scanning and showing along the way.
    The first 2 are of some of Tony's flame work. He really does know how to paint and can lay down a real nice set of burning licks. I think Renee' took these shots. She is a real dab hand with a camera!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  25. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Here's a couple of pics ( from Larry's Nats '81 book) of the yellow coupe
    [​IMG]

It had a pretty strong windsor( from memory)
    [​IMG]

26. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

That's the one I remember, Thanks for the ride down memory lane, David.

27. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Garry gave me this pic today to scan & post
    [​IMG]

Bendigo , what year ?

28. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Woah. Yblock. Now there is a blast from the past.
    Maybe the second vintage speedway meet at the Bendigo showgrounds, the year I am not sure. That is Geoff Spurway's '34 pickup beside my coupe ( the pickup we talked about a few pages back ).
    Damn, look at me at the right front wheel. No grey hair. One thing is for sure I haven't got any prettier with age.
    Now I need to go looking for another shot from that day!
    Thanks for that Yblock and Gary.
    Geoff aka whodaky
    PS I was just thinking the coupe doesn't look to bad in that shot!

29. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I haven't found the photo I am looking for. But I came across a couple I thought were neat, amidst the hundreds of other neat ones.
    The first is the coupe and Wayne's lil teardrop headed for the salt one year. That is the late Nick Naparowski in front of the coupe, Nick travelled with me that year.
    The other is a shot of Peter ( Stork ) Vansittart's Triumph. Which I mention a few pages back. That's Ray Charlton's roadster behind the bikes.
    I think both these photos were taken the same year, but don't ask me what year that was.
    Damn I have some photos, so many memories from so many years. I really need to go through all these old photos and sought them out once and for all.
    Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  30. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

Geoff,Did you do the "Welcome sign" for Lake Gairdner?? Jeff