Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Is this an original Ford Aussie body? It almost looks like another make altogether!

3blap.

2. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

a stock bodied Aussie '34 coupe for comparison
    [​IMG]

3. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Gary is one of hot roddings gentleman.

Geoff aka whodaky

Agree wholeheartedly with you Geoff and the same comment in my opinion extends to all the Cranskster club members i met at their first run in 2012 - they are all real hot rodders.

4. Wardog

Wardog

Tony, Gary loves the coupe and is always doing little things to keep it maintained and in great condition.
    It's in good hands.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

3blap. The grey coupe is a factory Australian 5W coupe that has been chopped. The blue full fendered 5W coupe is one that is unchopped.
    It takes a lot more work to chop an Aussie 5W coupe and get it looking good!
    Geoff aka whodaky

6. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Yes Tony, as I said above the thread it is starting to take on a real life of it's own.
    It amazing how many memories are arising from comments made by us and others.
    When you think about it, a lot these memories are telling some of the recent ( maybe the last 30 years ) history of hot rodding in Australia.
    It is many of the posts in here that lead to posts by others, that expand on things that may be posted. That in itself very interesting in my mind.
    Then every now and again, we post something about the Last Grasp Special.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Ok, I showed some of my striping the other day and asked if there was any interest in seeing more. There was a positive response, so I will make this a weekly thing in here. It won't be on any specific day, just when I remember!
    This first piece I consider to be one of my best pieces. I won't go into why I think that. It just has great meaning to me. It was done in 2003.

[​IMG][​IMG]

That blue 'whodaky' is one I did on Saturday. It is a part of an on going series of 'whodakys' I am doing , that will take me all of this year to complete. Lets just say it is going to be something special for someone!
    I think the more I show of my striping in here. Those interested in it will see that I have varying styles and some of those styles are, let's just say; a little out there!

Geoff aka whodaky

8. Very nice Geoff, 'bout to head out to the shed to do some striping myself (once these kids are in bed).

9. JAWS

JAWS

I am a fan of your striping.....you know that!

More please, whenever you feel inclined.

10. 3blapcam

3blapcam

Yeah, I know it's chopped. It definitely looks different from the US version! I think these are the first ones I've seen!

Nice striping! I like your favorite piece there! But... I like 3 Windows more!!! We need some updates!

3blap.

11. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Geoff this is a four spoke wheel I built about 10 years ago. I always wanted to find a full size Bell wheel but before the days of the HAMB finding jewellery like this was almost impossible from our side of the world. I was fortunate enough to have corresponded with Dick Lewis from PA and asked if he had such a wheel, he did and it was not or sale but he obliged by tracing the centre section for me on the back of an old hot rod poster. This was important for I wanted to get as close to the original sweet radius these wheels had close to the hub as well as getting the spoke length correct and overall wheel diameter also. This one is destined for my roadster.

Attached Files:

12. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

This is a three spoke a built later on, smaller in diameter to the four spoke. Thanks for reminding me of these bits, we all have pieces squirrelled away and your steering wheel project reminded me to dig these out!

Attached Files:

13. Hi All,

Haven't had a chance to get on to much of late, but love everything that's going on and really like the pin striping and steering wheels pics by Geoff and Tommy, great work guys. Catch up soon.

PS: Tony, myself and Shane have been talking and discussed a possible day trip to Port Fairy soon to catch up? We will discuss dates soon. Look forward to talking with you about a future project as well...

Garyd

14. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Tom the wheels look good, I think I remember you showing them to me. I am more into the 4 spoke wheels than the three spoke wheels.
    The diameter of my wheels are made so I can open the door, roll down the window and steer. The sought of practical stuff.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  15. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Geoff , Gary asked me to post these couple of scans out of the "archives".

Custom Rodder #78 June '84
    [​IMG]
    That "A" grille shell hanging on the wall ended up on my coupe !

Custom Rodder #88 Nov. '86
    [​IMG]

16. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thankyou Yblock and thanks to Gary.

Geoff aka whodaky

17. a couple of issues to add to my list to hunt down at swap meets:D

18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

WOW, I remember the Jake34 car.

19. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Mate that is simply unreal!

Did not know this feature ever existed (#78). Makes me want to buy as many early Australian custom Rodder magazines as I can at the up coming Ballarat swapo just so I can read similar stories of Australian rods.

20. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

I remember Tony and Dean doing this chop many years ago,and everything was done at "home" in your own garage with basic tools and plenty of enthusiasm,which goes to show once hot rodding is in the blood it NEVER EVER goes away,What a great disease to have...Jeff

21. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

I just seen all the pics ,man that brings a lot of memories of the good old days of us doing everything at home. We didn't have much money so you had to do what you can, your friends helped you then you helped them back on their projects. We learned from each other, so one day we got our rods on the road. Talked to Geoff tonight on the phone and we are going to work on the last grasp this weekend.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  22. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

one for Gary !

Attached Files:

23. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey Tom;
    Nice shot. I found this shot of two very similar coupes. Probably taken around '59.
    Tony, what do you reckon?

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

24. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

Hi Whodak are you presently in the deeeeeeeep south - west ??????

25. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Tom. I thought I posted last night but I must have pressed the wrong key.
    No I am not there yet, but I will be in around 5 hours, all going well.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  26. BrandyCreek32

BrandyCreek32
    from Australia

Great to have been able to catch up and deliver the Quickchange, hope to see it under the rear of something soon
    Brandy creek 32

27. 40zr1

40zr1

Just found this build thread, teeeerifffffic job!!! Y'all got talent and determination.

28. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1392014016.587502.jpg

29. Geoff this is the picture we discussed, looks good...

30. NSTLGA 33

NSTLGA 33
    from australia

Awesome pic. Wish I had a copy of that.