Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Kustomrama Dream Truck

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by SuperFleye, Mar 5, 2015.

1. LAROKE

LAROKE

She sure is. Hubba, Hubba!

volvobrynk and Kvipt like this.
  2. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426615613.091510.jpg
    Thanks! She's a keeper, her food making skills are excelent

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Damn....you got the life brother...

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Tony

Tony

I've been following along with this build and just have to chime in...the Ranch is looking great man!
    Glad to see i'm not the only crazy one who obsesses over door gaps :)
    I can't wait to see the final product!!

And as far as your little woman, well, respectfully i must say you're a lucky man :)

Tony

5. This is killer! We need more info and build pictures of it as well if you have them. Great work on both cars!

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. I too, am reminded of Stuckey's sedan when looking at your Model A. I love it! I am certainly enjoying the Ranchero build and the tribute to one of the iconic customs of the late '50s.. Don't forget the "beak" on the roof!!

Oh yes, does your girl have a sister??? :oops::)

Dave

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Very cool, you can put me on the list of those keen on the A! I love channeled A's with fenders!

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Great work, gentlemen. Have you thought about hiding some backup lights in the space above the taillights?

9. 'Mo

'Mo

Spaeking of which, I'm looking at a 1960 "Custom Cars" magazine atricle, which calls the DeVito custom
    "A pioneer of truly custom roof scoops".

10. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Unfortunately, the Ranchero roof is too short and straight to make the scoops look good, so we decided to drop them! A pioneer of roof scoops! I guess he was, and I guess the inspiration could have come from the 1958 Chevrolets?

11. Aww, just a little "beak" to carry over the theme of the fenders..
    Kustomrama_RoofBeak.jpg

Can't wait to see paint!!

-Dave

12. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Wow Dave! That looks good :)
    Two like that would work as well. The ones we mocked up, to make two similar to the Maze, were raised up starting right behind the windshield. That looked a little funky.

13. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Just dont slip when your standing in the bed!!!! OUCH!

SuperFleye likes this.
  14. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

Great work guys! I´m glad to see that you keep the rockabilly culture alive. For some reason I thought that it was "dead" here in Norway. I must have lived under a rock... It was not after I finally got myself a 54 Chevy again that I discovered kustomrama through HAMB. Hope to be able to attend some of the kustom events in the near future! (Just need to please the local "Biltilsynet" so that I can get some plates on my car....) PS. Also love that Amazon in the background there ;)

volvobrynk and SuperFleye like this.
  15. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]
    Yesterday I woke up to the sad news about the passing of Jerry DeVito. Those of you that have been following this build knows that I never had the pleasure of actually meeting Jerry. While researching his incredible Maze for this build, I have talked to many of Jerry's old buddies. Everyone had good things to say about Jerry, and many told me that Jerry's ideas were always spectacular! A couple of weeks ago I called Bob Heinrichs, the aspiring young custom painter that helped Jerry paint the second version of the Maze back in 1958. Bob told me a great story from back when they painted the Maze that I would like to share with you all: " Jerry thought outside the box. We are old friends and I was always amazed at his ideas. I wasn’t painting cars full time yet in 1958, but I had been pin striping cars for about 6 years when he asked me to do a wild paint job on his 57 Ford. He wanted a paint job like no one had ever seen. Since I was driving cement truck for a living I had to work on his car at night and it took awhile. The first thing I had to do was set up my garage so I could do the work at home. My work on his car began with prepping the car before I began the laborious task of masking and laying out the tape. Mind you I had to lay out the design over the complete car – the roof, hood, trunk and sides. It took about 4 days of taping the design before I was ready to do the masking. So here Jerry enters the picture… I took the weekend off and when I came home Jerry’s car was gone. I thought someone had broken into the garage and stolen the car. I called Jerry to see if he knew anything about it. Indeed he did! He had a hot date that Saturday night and he needed the car. So…he removed all the designs, tape and masking paper and enjoyed his car for the evening. He did offer to help me retape and remask the car. Three weeks later the car was ready to show." I had a good laugh when I heard this story. It seems like Jerry was living the good life back then. The Kustomrama Dream Truck is a tribute to Jerry's amazing Maze. I have known for a while that Jerry has been very sick, so me and Olav has been trying to get the car done while Jerry was still with us. Jerry was very excited when I first told him about the build, and I think he was looking forward to see it done. The build is just weeks away from the finish line now, but it seems like we lost the race. RIP Jerry

jakespeed63 likes this.
  16. 'Mo

'Mo

Sondre, you didn't lose the race. You brought Jerry to within sight of the finish line.
    That CAN be as good as it gets. That's where Moses died. No regrets!

17. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I guess the car will be 'in memory of him' now! Keep up the wonderful work.

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I thought about this thread and this car when I heard the news. Look at it this way... Jerry can now give you the spiritual guidance needed to finish the paint job!

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sorry to hear of Jerry's passing. An icon, to be sure.
    First time I saw the Maze was in its '57 scallops, downtown San Jose, 1st St./2nd St., 'draggin' the main'.
    Front line parking spot at the famous John's Drive In, on west Santa Clara St., across from Babe's Mufflers. Second version was really wild, with the 'beaks', everybody liked 'em.
    I saw the 3rd version right away, I had installed a 354 Chrysler hemi in my bud Jack's '31 Plymouth, and he wanted to primer it yellow...so we went to Gene's body shop, over by the Fairgrounds.
    The MAZE was inside, with its new 'facelift'. Front fenders/hood were in black primer, it was a 'shock' to see...Just seemed out of context with the rest of the car.
    I joked with Gene: "What's Jerry gonna do when he sees what you did to his car?"
    Gene laughed, (but not loud)
    The car was soon finished again, Jerry was having a 'tea kettle' problem (leaky FoMoCo carb) and had the air cleaner off.
    His wife, Donna (or another young lady) was driving the car that evening, parked in the familiar front row parking at John's...
    When she started the engine, smoke came billowing from the grille and hood edges, a couple of the guys standing around tried to get the hood open, but the engine burned.
    Much of the lead work melted, it was 15 minutes or so before the Fire Dep't got there.
    This was the last time I saw the beautiful MAZE, Bob Heinrichs said later that it was sold.
    Last time I saw Jerry was at Moe Miller's 'Valley Custom' shop in San Jose, 1983...
    Godspeed, Jerry.

20. Yet another "name" from the little pages gone. ..Sad. A little while back I was watching my Geo. Barris DVD and noted his comment to Larry Watson when they came upon the pic of Jerry's car: I'm paraphrasing, but it went something like "Great car - and a real nice kid". R.I.P. Mr. DeVito.

Dave

21. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Sad you guys couldnt finish the ranchero in time. Dont stop now you guys are so close! I love the work so far and want to see it finished.

22. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

If everything goes as planned, the Dream Truck will be driven into the paint booth next week :)

Strittan and Maverick Daddy like this.
  23. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the great story Mike! It is always great to hear first hand information from guys that were around.
    Can I add this information to the page I have on the car on Kustomrama?

What can you tell me about Gene's body shop? I have tried to research that shop for a while. Gene's full name was Gene Caravalho right? Was he a young guy? Did he do a lot of custom body work back then?

24. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome quote Dave! Thanks for sharing. Watson's words needs to go into the story as well :)

25. Marten

Marten

Thanksss..one real cool story so far. To be continued

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I knew Gene, believe that was his last name. @ROD&WHEELER Dennis (on the HAMB) used to do piecework for Gene, Dennis is older than me...and Gene was older than Dennis.
    Dennis knew all the guys well, as he was a charter member of the Rod & Wheelers.
    In 1958, I was 16; Gene was at least 25, I believe. (never thought about it then...LOL)
    Gene's body shop turned out more custom work than anyone in town at that time.
    Dennis may correct me, but I think Gene's shop did the final chop on Dick Benjavino's '48 Ford four door. One unique car.

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Also should be mentioned: Louie Stejanovich, worked in San Jose in numerous custom shops, bodyman and painter...Louis went down south and worked for Barris, around '57.
    I knew his Dad, there was some mention of Louie's work in R&C little pages, or one of the early mags. Sensational painter.
    Anybody remember Fuzzy the Striper from San Jose? (these guys were all friends)

28. Louie Stojanovich.
    The only reason I know how it's spelled is because I am a HUGE fan of his Plymouth through all the versions.

29. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1430053939.643487.jpg

We're getting closer to paint now! If everything goes as planned it will be covered with the white paint for the lines tonight!

30. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Great story, fantastic build. You guys are very talented, can't wait for more!