Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Kirkegaard Merc, 1939 early style custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sledge, Oct 1, 2012.

1. LAWMAN1932

LAWMAN1932
    from deuceville

Awesome chop great workmanship!

2. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

So I took a little break from Tim's car and headed back east to buy some mercs! Picked up three of them for a good price, but it sure was a hassle getting them out of there! Luckily my buddy Sketch lived within an hour of where the cars were and had a place for me to keep them for a while. He was a huge help and I couldn't have done it without him. Thanks dude!!

These are all coupes, Two 40's and one 39. Im probably going to get two of them shipped back home to California and sell one to cover some expenses. Im not really sure what Im going to do with them yet but Im sure happy to have them! It was an old man who had collected these with intentions to build his high school hot rod again, but unfortunately he passed away before his dream could happen.

This 40 is probably the best of the bunch. It will need some floor work and lower patches but is really strait and nearly complete! And the motor looks like it might even run with a little work!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This 39 was the most rust free of the bunch and really strait, but someone started to channel the body, installed a mustang 2 front end and modern rear end so thats kind of a bummer. They didn't chop out the cross members so it wouldn't take too much work to put the stock axle back under it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This other 40 is probably the roughest of the bunch but still has a lot of potential. This is the one that I will probably sell to recover some expenses. It's missing the engine, trans, grill, and a few other parts but would be a good builder for someone on a budget. The floors are about 60% complete but will need rockers and patches. And the back end will need some work but the fenders are all pretty strait. The fenders were just mocked up for the pictures and will fit better when properly installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It such a cool experience being able to buy three of these rare cars! Another great week in mercuryland!:D Let's build more customs!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, now I need to get back to work on Tim's car! Sorry to for taking a break Tim, but Im sure you understand!:)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  3. Geez Sledge, if you weren't doing such great things with these Mercs a guy might be bummed that you're rapidly cornering the market!! :D:D

-Dave

4. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

hahaha, thanks dave! Not trying to corner the market, just trying to save all these great cars that I dig so much!:)

5. Wow, what a score! Great job picking up 3 more, too bad you weren't around this past weekend at CHRR...I'll forgive you.

They look pretty straight for the most part. Are the bits and pieces with all the cars, or are all the trim and small items missing?

6. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Keith! yeah missing some trim and some small parts.

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The grille in the "better" '40 looks to be in exceptional condition.

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

If I didn't say it before, you suck

9. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Mr Merc? Great score Kevan, you sir have the worst case of Merc Madness on record and I personally thank you for that, hahaha

10. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Ha ha... You are crazy!!! :D

11. speters

speters

Were these in Connecticut?

12. resto-rodder

resto-rodder

What a great group of '39-'40 Mercs to find all in the same place. Now you will have a few more to add to the lineup at your garage!

13. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

Yes, it will soon be the longest 39-40 Mercury lineup in history, since the old Ford River Rouge Complex :))

14. speters

speters

I was about to message you with that craigslist ad. Glad to see it found you

15. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Yeah speters these are the CT cars. I had a few people send me that ad and still cant believe I ended up with them!

16. farmer12

farmer12

What a great car and awesome chop performed. I like it!

17. sled

sled

18. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

I finally got the roof exactly where I want it so I've been slowly welding it up for the last few days. This gas/hammer welding beats the crap out of you, so now Im enjoying a couple cold beers!:p It's really turning out nice and so Im very happy with it! Cheers!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  19. Awesome man! Keep it up!

20. VonKool13

VonKool13

You sir are living the dream!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Cheers Tim! We're getting there my friend!
    [​IMG]

rat bastad likes this.
  22. Wonderfull. That beer is well deserved

23. nifty

nifty
    from UK

ohh that's nice. Just like the photochop. The last photo with the beer in it is the best, not just because of the cold suds (well deserved by the way!!)but it gives a better indication of the profile.
    I guess the garage is too full of Merc's to be able to get a full on side shot of the car hahaha.

Tim you must be grinning now

.....I've just gone back to the first page of this build thread and I'm still in awe of how well this car flows. Fantastic eye Kevan, well done sir

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  24. DKroadsters

DKroadsters

You have earned that beer , for sure after all the hard work

I could not be more happy and you really have deserved those 3 Mercs
    It is coming out real good and i can feel the luxury Mercury theme here
    I think the hole for the 3rd brake over the rear window is just perfect :)
    Cannot wait to come over and drink some bear with you and cruise down Highway One to Los Angeles
    This car makes me smile every night i fall to sleep ;-))

This is great

Thanks Again..... Kevan

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  25. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Cheers Kevan..this is an awesome build. the factory style that was the intension is spot on!

Seeyah ..and i like cold beer too!
    -palle

26. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thanks Palle and Tim! looking forward to meeting you both in person soon! Yes Tim the 3rd brake light above the rear window will be very cool! hahaha

27. sledge, are going to finish the car? if so, what else is planned?

28. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

Hi Kevan,
    Great job, congrats! I like the 40s style customs a lot too as I am building a Zaro or Andril clone from the ex Kustomman Merc I have bought from Canada.
    PS: don t you have a 40 Merc righthand grille for sale wich I am missing?

29. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Plans are just to keep it really simple with the only major modifications being the chop and lowering. most of the stock trim will be retained. Oh and the runnng boards will be removed too!

[​IMG]

Hey Pete, thats great you have that car! It would be really cool to see a Zaro/Andril clone! No I dont have a 40 RH grill for sale. I actually need one for the Mexicali merc! Good luck with your 40!

30. Pete Fox

Pete Fox
    from Belgium

Hi Kevan,
    Thanks for your answer. Keep up the good work. Maybe I will braze one good righthand side grille together from all the broken pieces I have! Peter