Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Keith Dean Interview: Memories & Stories of His Dad Dick Dean

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG] KEITH DEAN, BETTER KNOWN AS "KID" DEAN, is the son of Hall Of Famer DICK DEAN. Dick, as you know, was one of the most Legendary customizer's to ever light-up a torch, and known as the "King Of Chops" due to the massive amounts of 49-51 Mercs that he chopped through the years !​

But Dick was multi-talented and worked equally well on many Dragsters, Bonneville cars, and, Indy cars...including Andy Granatelli's 1967 #40 Indy car. Dick was also the Chief Engineer on the ill-fated Gullwing-Bricklin...which many don't know, or, remember.

So, in this one-on-one, late-night Interview, KEITH DEAN and I talked about his memories of his Dad, his favorite cars that Dick built, and, Dick's "Shalako" project...and, of course, his views on the Bricklin.

These are thoughts and memories from the heart, as only a son could share about his Dad. This is one you have to hear ! Simply Click-On Here , listen & enjoy !

PS: I talked to Keith about this yesterday. Dick passed away 5 years ago next month, and with Father's Day coming up this weekend, I thought this would be a fitting Tribute to have his stories of his Dad posted now.

ALSO, I'd like to pay Tribute to both Dick, who was a friend, and, my Dad who passed away 30 years ago. My Dad taught me a lot about cars, but he taught me more about life...he was the most wonderful person I've ever met...and I was blessed to have him for my Dad.

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  2. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

3. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Looking forward to seeing you in Salina my friend, an to listening to this new interview as soon as I can get home in front of the computer.

4. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Thanks Travis ! Salina will be fantastic this year, amigo !!

You will love these stories ! Keith is not only a super-builder that learned from his Dad, but has a "memory bank" full of great stories about Dick !
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage185.html

5. First met Dick Dean when we were both in the 1958 Detroit Autorama and we were both young squirts. Dick was just starting his career and had a wild paint job down a couple of cars from my 1946 Lincoln semi custom. Bill Hines debuted his original ''Lil'' Bat in the same show. Dick wound up in CA, and I wound up in Florida. We met again 30 years later in Pidgeon Forge and He was quite a guy. ALways enjoy these stories, except they remind me how old I am.
    Keep up the good wotk Lonnie and Keith carry on the tradition, your Dad would be proud. I will see if I can find the picture of your dad and I at the Pidgeon Forge show.

6. Found the picture, but it was before the digital stuff so the quality isn't very good. Lot of fun with the Old Farts Car Club and Dick and I talked over old times in Detroit.

Attached Files:

7. Mercchev

Mercchev

Dick Dean was a cool guy. We used to take him out for lunch at Paso when we saw him. He offered to chop my Merc, I still regret not having him do it, dangit.

8. KEITH DEAN is a great guy and does some amazing work and doesn't try to be a rockstar.He lets his work do the talking.I have always been treated like family by all of the Dean family.Keith is just a great and very generous person who just happens to build some amazing Kustoms.I feel I have a bond with Keith and the Dean family since I ended up with Dick Deans last chop.

Tomorrow will be exactly 5 years since my last time seeing Dick.It was Saturday at the fathers day event which would be the last time I got to see him.

Keith....keep layin the roofs the way you do.:)

9. HELLMET

HELLMET

he is one of my hero's and close friends. awesome guy. glad to call him my friend. billy

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jeff...

Thanks for those memories. That Father's Day event you mention, is the same one that George Barris mentions on my Tribute Page to Dick...it was the last time many saw Dick.

That's the main reason I wanted to Post this Interview for this Father's Day Weekend to honor Dick, as well as my own Dad. When I talked to Keith about that he was just really pleased with those sentiments.

Keith is a great teller of his Dad's stories ! And thanks for all who eMailed me about this Interview...sharing is what it's all about.

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

hotrod1940,

Great memories ! And, that's a neat photo...thanks for sharing it. Dick was a one-of-a-kind ORIGINAL !

And, Keith's carved out his own career...learning from the best !!

12. Thanks a lot Johnny.....ya man that is exactly how it went down that day and I will never forget that.That was the first and only time he was able to see the interior work that kiwi did.Thanks for the compliments on the car.

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jeff...

You're welcome, my friend. All the work on that car made it just plain fantastic !