Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "Keep on Truckin' " '34 Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Hey Tim. I dunno yet. I haven't heard my schedule yet. Is that your goal for the '46?

2. Mike, which part is the one you are talking about being leather?
    [​IMG]

The one on the left in the pump that I took out of the carb. Middle is the new one from the rebuild kit. On the right is a leather piece that came with the kit, but I'm not really sure where it goes?

3. Hey Martin, the black and blue cups used to be made of leather. The blue ones are for ethanol because the black ones seem to swell. I had an old leather one that I was using last summer when I was dealing with a stumble and for some reason, it seemed to cure my issue. I don't have that one any more much to my shagrin. I am now back to my weak pump shot.

4. Oh, I see.
    Do you know what the pink thing is for?

Are you running tri power?

5. I don't know what the pink one is for. I tried to use it last summer as I recall but I wasn't smart enough to figure it out.

6. And yes. (trying to anyway)

Sent from my Droid using TJJ sucka!

Attached Files:

7. I'm thinking it goes in like this:
    [​IMG]
    No?

Looks good, man!

8. Hey, that's a thought! You're smart. Ima try that out.

9. Nope. That thing just gets stuck in the bore. I tried to use an old pump from a 97 with a leather cup and the squirt was good on the bench, but the length was off once bolted together.

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

sheesh. you can't win. throw all that junk away and go EFI...hahaha.

11. Yeah, I noticed that when I put mine in there. Strange.
    Maybe it goes between the spring and that slotted cap that constrains the pump?
    Dunno. Anybody out there that has used it before?

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah sorta, my pipe dream date for actually driving it is June 4th so I can finish workin on it not 55 miles away from we're I live haha. But also because it'd give me a little time to shake it down for a couple weeks before headed for salina.

It will be the first drive longer then an hour for the car, I'm pretty stoked :)

13. Well, it's back to basics for me. I rebuilt another 2G that I had and slapped her on. I made a couple of block-off plates for the end carbs, freshened up the '57 oil-splash air cleaner (that I had originally planned to run until I got starry-eyed for the tri-power) and put her back together. After a few adjustments, she is at least running as well as she was last summer. I blasted around all over town today and she didn't even fuss much. Kind of boring compared to the 3x2s though. I am not giving up just yet, merely a speed bump!

Attached Files:

14. Ha! Either that or a short cliff...Kablammo!!

Still no clue on that thing. I found my good leather pump though, it had been put in one of the end carbs (nice rebuild huh? Just stick the old parts back in) I guess I should be happy. It's a little longer pump and makes a nice shot compared to all the others I have. That equals no stumble or hesitation which is awesome.

Tim, I'm pulling' for you brutha'!!

15. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it's better'n not drivin' it.

16. killerbunny

killerbunny
    from serbia

Looks great..<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:D

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

So so clean, at least you can bomb around in it for now and get the juices going. I think I've got roughly 6-8 full days of work till the 46 moves on its own. I only get 2 at a time but I suppose I could call in with hotrod fever and do 3 or 4 some weekend...

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ohhhh, purty, purty...
    [​IMG]

Wow, driving it already! Cool. Now get back to work on sorting out the tripps.:D

19. Thanks guys!

I also got my hood tops squared away. It sure is a lot easier to work on this way. I pulled the sides and got a new hinge from the Filling Station. I ended up "Rolph-ing" the front and rear to hold it in place. A quick highway test at 75mph (allegedly) and all is good.

I will have to build a trough to vinegar soak the rust off as it is unfortunately to tall to fit in my molasses tub.

Attached Files:

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks awesome. i like it a lot.

21. Hey Man, here is the answer to your little pink leather thing.

I mean the one for your truck!<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Leather Throttle Shaft Seal
    [Q1744A]

</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right><TABLE class=infoBox cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD><TABLE class=infobox cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=infoBoxHeading width=120>Quantity</TD><TD class=infoBoxHeading align=middle>1+</TD><TD class=infoBoxHeading align=middle width=50>10+ </TD><TR vAlign=top><TD class=infoBoxContents width=120>Price for each</TD><TD class=infoBoxContents align=middle width=50>$1.95</TD><TD class=infoBoxContents align=middle width=50>$1.56</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=infoBoxContents width=120>Your savings</TD><TD class=infoBoxContents align=middle>- </TD><TD class=infoBoxContents align=middle width=50>20%</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD class=main><!-- // BOF: Additional Images --><TABLE style="POSITION: relative" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 align=right border=0><!-- // EOF: Additional Images --><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallText align=middle>[​IMG]
    Click to enlarge
    <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Replacement Throttle Shaft Seal for Rochester 2G carburetors. OEM # 7009387
    Quantity: 1 leather seal

</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=smallText align=middle><TABLE style="POSITION: relative" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 align=center border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD class=smallText align=middle>This product was added to our catalog on Wednesday 06 April, 2011.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

ever get your carbs figured out?

23. Thanks Flow. I'm still not exactly sure where that goes though, ha! Must be later than mine?

Tim, I was so frustrated with them that I've just been running it with the center carb only. I did buy a set of new machined bases to try out and they seem to seal very well (visually anyway.) I've been just driving it when I can. Things are busy at the house, and I've been trying to get my shop a little more organized so not a lot of time in on the old girl. I did take it to a local show a few weeks ago and got some nice compliments ( and also some RR comments :( but whatever.)

Thanks for asking! It looks like you're making good progress on the sedan. Still on target for Salina???

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup more or less, a lot of stuff that in a perfect world should take 10 minutes has taken 4 hours do I'm a little on the long side of the plan but with Sarah's help I think we should make our deadline. Wanted to make sure I could drive it to work and back for at least a week before the big trip.

Got our room booked and our route planed so all that's left if sweating it out. You guys going to make it?

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

will the Chev be in Joplin?

26. Cool. Well, we're pulling for you! Still undecided about Salina. Emily has so much going on with the store and stuff that I don't know if she/we can get away. I'm kind of saving myself for the Drags and we will for sure be there!

Yessir! Registered, room is booked. I cannot wait to see your coupe there!

27. Here is a pic from the show I attended. It was part of some magazine tour from California or something. Street Rodder maybe? I dunno. There was some injected '40 coupe they were displaying. There were lots of nice cars in attendance.

I even caught Charlie and the Maserodi on the way out.

Attached Files:

28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

don't hold your breath...we're probably gonna be in the '54 the way things are going.

29. Awe man. There are just not enough hours in the day are there? No major setbacks I hope???
    So, did you find another bellhousing for the '54?