Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "Keep on Truckin' " '34 Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

bonneville? drags?

2. I told my wife I would not miss the Drags. That is my one must attend event for the year. Every year!

Are we going to see the coupe at MoKan this year Mark???

3. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

:cool:Love your truck , nice build .

4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

the outside goal is to have it done in time for b-ville and the drags. but if it isn't ready, we'll load up the 54 and have a blast anyway.

we'll be there.

5. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

Have you been driving the truck lately? Updates? Pictures? Videos?

6. Wicked cool man. I'd seen your link to this on other threads & clicked on it last night. Good read & a.neat truck.

7. Thanks Mike! You already know how I feel about your coupe!;)

Cool Mark! We will meet in August one way or another!

No sir! She is out of commission right now. I did just receive word however that my intake is on its way back to me as we speak! STOKED!! That reminds me that I need to get some new intake gaskets...
    How's your project going BTW? I need to check in on your thread.

Thanks sko! I appreciate it!

8. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

That's exciting! I can't wait to see it. Driving weather is apon us and I really need to get cracking on the truck again.

I started to fizzle out working on it a couple months ago. I had too many projects (4) and now that I've sold a couple I have much more time and energy to put into the deuce! Just started gathering parts lately. Brake lines, hoses, and fittings, floors and seat back, and some misc. Stuff to get cracking on the wiring.

But I did just score these thisnweekend to match my intake manifold ;)!
    [​IMG]

9. Nice drmrman! I just got a set of those same heads for a future project myself.

No good news here. I am still fighting carburetors as I was before. Not real happy at this point...

10. drmrman

drmrman
    from new Jersey

What's a matter with the carbs? Fit problem? Performance problem?

11. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Looking good Mike! I can't wait till my '27 is up and running.

David

12. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Any good news or?

13. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Inspiration.

Attached Files:

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

c'mon mike! got it figured out yet?

15. Hi guys! Thanks for checking in. I had to step away from the tuning issues for a bit as frustration was setting in, again, ha!

I did buy another set of wheels from Gary (hot rod roadster) off of his '36. I had been trying to collect a set so I could plunk down some coin for some WWW Firestones. Thanks again to Nick ( Malcom) for relaying them to me this weekend. It was great talking with you!

The truck, while obviously still in progress, has always bothered me as being a bit incongruous. I've always said I was striving for a '57-'58 time period because of the engine, but the rest of it looks like a '40's build. The problem is there weren't really many (any?) trucks being built early that I've found, so I'm going to change a couple things.

In addition to the white walls, I also want to add some bobbed rear fenders, so I'm on the hunt for something there. Are '30-'31 A fenders the same for trucks and cars?

I've also been working on fitting just the top of an extra hood that I have to make tuning easier.

Anyway, two steps backward and a couple sideways!

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  16. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Greetings! I think the truck fenders are differrent but I'm no expert. I have a set of pretty crappy fenders that I was thinking of doing the same with. If I end up not using them I'd be happy to send them your way.

17. Hey B.E. I appreciate it man! My favorite swap meet is this weekend so hopefully I can find something there. I would think the truck fenders would be different too. I'll have to look in some catalogues tonight to see what's available for comparison.

18. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

man that dude has a bad ass beard...

19. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

30-31 coupe, sedan, pickup, all use the same fenders.

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

and if your going to cut them up anyways whats it matter what they came off of anyways?

21. Ha!

Thanks Mark! Makes sense knowing Henry's ways.

Well, I wasn't sure how much curve the body side had. I thought maybe the pickup fenders were flatter? If you look at '28-'29 fenders, the mounting surface is a lot more shapely and would probably take more work to mount on my bed sides.

22. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I'm pretty sure that they will be to small, but I have a couple of Model A hoods that you can have if you think they will work..........they are just collecting rust on the side of my garage and I was thinking about 'flipping' them on CL for ten bucks. Let me know and they are yours.

Chris

23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I suppose so, I guess when I hear bobbed I think of the fronts out there floating like on a bike and didn't put together that the rear would not be the same

24. motorheadsdiygarage

motorheadsdiygarage
    from Montreal

Absolutely a pleasure to read this post, you are a very talented fabricator.

Kudos on the project.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  25. I happened to see an orange '34-ish Chevy truck by the side of the road unloved yesterday. Me seeing this MUST be a sign for me to buy it. Love your truck.

26. Thanks for the offer Chris! I actually have another complete hood from a '36 that I picked up at the Lawrence swap several years ago. I think your dad actually has or had the matching grille shell?

I might be able to use them on my T though now that I think about it (hmmm, scratches chin...)
    I'll be in touch!

As if the orange and blue wasn't bad enough together. Now it looks like the Boydster!!! Yuk!

Sent from my Droid using TJJ sucka!

Attached Files:

27. Thanks man! That means a lot!

You should buy it and we'll start a club! Thanks brutha!

28. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

I wish you were closer, I'd aggravate the crap outta ya! I need some real help with my pile!

29. Sending a PM brutha!

I took the truck out today for the first time since I've had it back together. My tip-in stumble is back...awesome. :mad:

Does anyone have an extra old stock 2G rebuild kit with the leather accelerator pump? I didn't get mine back and that's what cured it last time. :(

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

see you at Salina this year?