Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The "Keep on Truckin' " '34 Chevy Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cactus1, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Ghost28

Ghost28

Every time I see a video of your truck rolling down the road it fires me up to get a project on the road. (Nice job.) I did take the 28 chevy to a local sonic last friday night, and had a blast. I had a old straw hat, and a piece of field straw hanging out of my mouth, felt like a clampet hillbilly. There were even a few people that thought the 28 was an original delivery.

2. Well, I was actually thinking the other way...
    Like: cool another guy my age is into that stuff.
    And then it hit me: That guy I thought was my age is actually 13 years older then me. :eek:
    But then again I suck at guessing somebody's age.
    No offense.

3. Thanks John! I still can't believe she actually goes. I mean, I know people have been building shit forever, but this is my first and there were times I thought it would never be on the road!

I can't wait to see the delivery in paint. She will be a show stopper!

Oh, I misinterpreted what you were saying but in no way took offense you whippersnapper! Haha!
    Somedays, I roll out of bed and feel like I'm 80. When I drive the truck, I feel like a teenager (except, I never had a cool car then :D.

4. kisam

kisam

Congrats Mike!

5. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Mike you built the truck I've always wanted to build but never got there.
    What a great truck!! I fully enjoyed all the videos you posted, its almost like driving it. ;)
    You deserve the Misfits award for the truck. :cool:
    Thanks for posting it all!

6. Thanks Kat!

Thanks man! That means a lot to me!

7. Haha! The rusty zipper club, sweet!

8. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

Hey you old coot, happy belated! And congrats on getting the truck "shook out"

9. Thanks brutha B.E.!!

10. rayfife

rayfife

Hey Cactus 1,
    I met you last Sunday at the car show and the pics. are great. My favorite, the cab with PATIENCE written on the back. from one chevy owner to another (1931) keep going. Lenny

11. Len! It was a pleasure to meet you my friend! Emily and I had a ball Sunday and loved your sedan. Len is the real deal folks. He bought his '31 in '64(?) and is still enjoying it! Thanks for checking in and welcome to the HAMB!

Mike

12. On our visit to the junkyard last weekend (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631150) Kevin found this cool-ass weatherhead/loom cover thingy on the firewall of the '41. I had never seen one before and thought it was the neatest looking thing so I decided to make one for the truck.

I've been working on the yard and painting crap around the house so this was a nice little project to help maintain my sanity! Ha!

I made a quick "hammerform" (sort of), grabbed some ally that I had, and went to town.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ sucka!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  13. Oh, I forgot, then we went to a local show in the afternoon and I saw this...

All of a sudden, they're everywhere!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  14. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Nice work...I like your loom cover. This one kinda looks like a robot's heart pumping rainbow blood.

Attached Files:

15. Haha! Thanks Jimmy!

16. That loom cover is a nice touch! I'll have to file that away, very nice!

TJJ on iPhone

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  17. Annoncement, stay away from the zebra acid!

That is a cool cover, I saw the one Kevin found but the crappy monitor at work was hard to tell.

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that's neat, mike. i like it.

19. Thanks fellas! You rock!

20. Your truck is outstanding. The choice of parts and pieces used is perfect. This gives a lot of younger guys the right way to build a cool and safe Hot Rod...

21. Really nice job on the cover. I agree with Jimmy on the other one.:eek:

22. NealinCA

NealinCA

I REALLY like that wire loom cover. I might have to "borrow" that idea...

Neal

23. Thanks pal!

"Borrow" away as partial payment for me "borrowing" your taillight stands :).

I think this may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me, especially after I went to a car show Sunday and they put me in the rat rod category, haha! I politely borrowed his sharpie and changed it to "hot." :eek:

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I officially have NO IDEA how I missed this thread, but MAN... I love this thing! Great build! Well done man!

25. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

so if i end up with this 34 chevy pickup my brother found in a field I'm telling the ol lady its your fault haha.

26. Get it! I'll take the heat brutha! :D

27. Thanks Scoot! That means a lot coming from you man. Thanks for checking in!

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

in the crummy pix it looks like the roof is there but sorta falling to the wayside. wonder if the wood didnt just rot and let it fall over? im thinking a roadster pickup may be called for...

29. Yup. That's what happens. It is just a skin nailed to the wooden structure. I think the Rpu thing could be kinda cool and actually contemplated it myself when one came up for sale on here a couple of years ago. I was going to use NealinCA's '32 as a blueprint.

Still an ass load of work, haha!

30. I should probably let this thread die, but I'm still working on stuff so, here's the latest.

While the driver's door is still wood framed, I had restructured the passenger side a while ago. I had also fabricated the structure that was to hold the window regulator but I was never quite happy with it. I have the original tin door panels so it was important to me to try to get everything to line up as original in case I want to use them. I also have the garnish moldings which are in four pieces per side so that had to be taken into consideration as well.

Here's what I came up with.

I went ahead and made the one for the other side when I was happy with the design.

Attached Files: