Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Joe Bailon Interview: Building "Miss Elegance" & Creating "Candy Apple Red" !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG]

JOE BAILON HAS BEEN A TRUE Pioneer & Legend for almost 7 decades ! In this rare Interview done at the 32nd Annual KKOA Lead Sled Spectacular in Salina, Kansas, he shared with me the stories of how he created "Candy Apple Red" Paint, AND, his landmark 1941 Chevy "Miss Elegance" !

He was with GEORGE BARRIS, and, JOHN D'AGOSTINO, for our yearly Sunday Morning Interview Session...and it was not only informative, but lot's of fun as you'll hear !

Since Joe will be with us again this year at the 33rd KKOA in Salina,I wanted to share this with you so that if you have any questions for Joe, this will give you a few ideas !

Just Click-On-Here ...and you're on your way to hearing some GREAT stories from one of the Hall Of Fame's longest-running members: JOE BAILON !!

Again, thanks to all my H.A.M.B. friends ! We'll see you in Salina !!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  2. Cool interview, I always look forward to these to learn more about the history. Candy paint was a turning point in the history of customs. Joe Bailon in the west and the first candy I saw was by Bill Hines in Detroit.
    Another great interview.

3. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

hotrod1940...

Thanks so much ! I had an eMail from another visitor to the Site today with comments close to yours.

I LOVE delving into the Histories of these greats, like Joe, 'cause I always learn something new myself.

Sometimes, like Joe telling how he got a job at the Fitz Paint Shop from Mr. Fitz asking about his frenched license plate, is just priceless info that none of us would be able to hear if the recorder wasn't running.
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage187.html

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  4. Did Joe say what happened to the original Miss Elegance and if it still exists. Look forward to him finishing the recreation. That was a wild custom in the day.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Very Cool - Thanks

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Joe Bailon is also on Facebook,loves to reach out so check him out there.

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jalopy Joker...

So glad you got to hear it !

Joe will be in Salina this week. He'll be flying in from Calif. with John D'Agostino.

hotrod1940...

No, Joe didn't say where it went or if it's still around...we were "changing from subject to subject" so fast. I'll see if I can find out this year if he has time to do an update on this:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage187.html

8. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Joe was just wonderful again this year ! Said to thank all who stopped by his table in Salina.

He is just remarkable and at 90 years old...it's great that he's still able to meet all of those who've followed him through the years !

Thanks again to all our H.A.M.B. friends !

9. 'Mo

'Mo

There was a great magazine article about this years ago. I don't want to get the facts wrong, and I believe some of the principle players are on the HAMB, so hopefully someone will give the straight story..

BUT... I think the car was crushed. Some of Bailon's friends were able to get that famous dashboard out (bare) before it was crushed, and surprise him with it at picnic at his place. What I'll never forget is Bailon saying "I cried from head to foot!"
    LOL! "I cried from head to foot!" I love it!

Plans were to use the original dash in the Miss Elegance recreation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013