Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Jalopy Journal #3 Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey guys, a lot of you should be getting your books in the mail if you didn't get it on Saturday or at the Round Up. As such, I figured it would be a pretty good time to start collecting feedback assuming we will eventually start working on #4 sometime soon.

So, tell us what you did and did not like. Be kind as we have fragile feelings, but be honest and constructive.

Thanks!

Ryan

2. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jalopy Journal #3 is a high quality bound, enjoyable to read book. Which really isn't suprising if you have #2. To say the book is "high quality" really doesn't do it justice. The binding is that of an heirloom poetry or prayer book. The pages are silky smooth. Literally, like silk! The articles are not the usual car magazine types. They are so much more personal. The advertising is tastefully set in the back of the book. Yet, all are appropriate to the book. My only suggestion would be to make a reprint of #1 available as the Jalopy Journal is becoming a set in most of our collections!

Fly'n Kolors likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks sista!

As for a #1 reprint, we are flushing through an idea now. Our biggest issue is that the content in #1 is really bad... And I don't want to taint the latest efforts.

4. I am impressed all the way around. got mine yesterday. Read most of it but saved a couple stories for later. Thanks to all involved.

5. Y'all have a problem. You've set the bar too high; it will be hard to top #3. I don't envy you the task of maintaining the high standard you've set. Great Job, looking forward to #4.

6. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got mine today awesome! Great work Ryan.

7. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got mine Saturday. Nicely executed. Love the car stuff. The portraits? Did I mention I love the car stuff.

8. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Fragile feelings my ass! My only bitch is you and John signed mine so small I had to get prescription glasses to see your autographs. Don't be so humble. Other than that you guys "Nailed It!"

signed, a FAN.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've heard that more than once. I think this is good constructive criticism. We went with the portrait feature simply because I thought they were beautiful. That being said, we might have gone to far over into the "lifestyle" segment with that one.

Our ears are on.

For the life of me, I don't understand why anyone would want their books defaced by John, Jeff, or myself. You have any idea what we paid for that paper? I mean, that shit is expensive. And you want us to chicken scratch a name on that gold? It's hard to do man! :)

10. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Everyone should be required to sign their work. Be damn proud of your work on #3 Ryan, John and Jeff.

If you sign it larger could be worth bigger $$$ on Antiques Road Show. I hope.

11. Ranchero59

Ranchero59

Got my copy yesterday. Great work Ryan. I am really impressed with the quality. The photos and the text.

12. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Always a nervous time; the days and weeks after we put out this book. We love what we have created, but in the end this doesn't really matter if you guys don't.
    I'm glad to hear that so many people are liking it so far. Keep the comments coming; we want to take them all in so book #4 will be even better.

Thanks for the support.

13. Got mine today. I agree on the portrait stuff. The book didn't need it. Loved the photos and story by my friend, Doug "Mazooma" Hayes. Personal stories, told by the people who lived them make for great reading. Also the story on Fabian Valdez. He is an underrated craftsman. He learned a lot of his trade from a good friend of mine, and my Dad's, the late Ronnie Benham. Ron sent me to Fabian for some aluminum work on my RPU. Glad to see this metal master getting some press.

14. OK, I just read the whole thread; nothing but gushing praise there (mine included). In the interest of answering the original request for constructive criticism here's all I see. I found two (2) typos in the whole thing. Tisk, Tisk...:D

15. got mine yesterday. took a quick look through it. gona break into it this weekend. very nice quality materials. the last 20 pages or so at the top just stuck together (seems to be the ink that ran to the very top) but didnt require much at all to pull them apart. over all looks amazing. i am sure the content will has high as the materials.

16. oh an i think you should do a reprint #1 regardless of how damned "bad" it was...

17. Special Ed

Special Ed

You might consider re-issuing #1 as possibly a #1.5 version, and cleaning up the stuff that you find "really bad". Just a thought ... :cool:

Outback and Dean Lowe like this.
  18. Yes, I found a typo in Doug's story. Also, the rider of the Perry & Scott "Stage Fright" twin was Preniss Perry, not Prentiss as it's spelled in the story. Don't know if that was Doug's error, or an error with the publisher. Anyway, the man had balls of steel, and was one of the stars of the 60's drag bike scene. Just wanted set the record straight.

And count me in for the reprint of JJ #1!

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Can't wait to read it....

20. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yeah! I like everything about it. Sign me up for number 4.

21. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a work of art!!!
    My Wife (Who continuously hides my other Car Stuff in "the back room")
    Said "it's Gorgeous"...It stays in the coffee table.

Typos gives it character!

Re-Print:
    And Ditto Auggie & Special Ed's request...please re-print # 1

CAN'T WAIT
    (Well, I can...Quality stuff like this takes time) FOR #4

Hurrah Ryan!

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Typo's are 100% my fault and no one else's... I believe there are four in the book.

I'm good at Typos. They arre kind of my thing.

23. Got it today and I'm trying to save it for my ride to Florida for vacation but I did flip through it really quick and both #2, #3 are already worth their weight in gold to me. If you all ever consider re-printing #1, I'm in.

24. tallhtrddr

tallhtrddr

Ryan I appreciate what you all did with jj #3, it is a very classy piece. I received mine Saturday and have not stopped flipping at enjoying. Great job. As far as a reprint of #1 I'm in, and can't wait for #4. Again great job and thanks for all you do!!!

25. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

I received my copy Monday and was pleased with car pictures but like others didn't understand why the portraits were included (reminded me of my wife's Annie Leibovitz photography book). Still have to read the print, but liked the photography.
    I too would like a copy of the first book.
    Thanks for your work..

26. Sounding like I miss out by not getting this book. Best order one.

27. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Typos?? Shit, I thought we caught them all. If only our curator was inebriated less often…….

28. Got mine. Well done gentlemen. I even liked the portraits story just maybe a little too many pages for that story but other than that perfect.

Stu Padasso likes this.
  29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Just came in the mail today, will work on #2 first..

30. God damn that's good.