Register now to get rid of these ads!

The JADE IDOL returns to Gene Winfield.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Pete, Sep 20, 2017.

1. OneBad56

OneBad56

View attachment 3659773

That's a dual carb 312 Thunderbird with factory air cleaner

biggeorge, dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  2. Pete

Pete

I'm not really a Y block guy so all of that stuff looked alien to me.

Baron, biggeorge and dana barlow like this.
  3. Greezeball

Greezeball

Original Ford/Holley teapots

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  4. one of my favorite Kustoms....I like the wires over the chrome rims... either way it's a killer car.. Glad to see it will get a fade paint again.. Thank you for sharing !

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing about the hidden aspect thats a positive is it was respectfully hidden not left out in the elements as we have seen others.

6. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I always admired the Jade Idol... It seems like seeing "REAL" customs built by the few known customizers is difficult to see in person here on the right coast. Although we have one famous custom here in Palm Beach that I have seen and parked next to at a cruise night a number of years ago. Built in '61 I believe, the "EL MATADOR" '40 Ford Coupe. Bill Cushenberry-1940-ford-el-matador.jpg

7. SayEyeWont_74

SayEyeWont_74

How did this custom get passed down is what I'm wondering..does it only get passed down to Friends & Family or what? a lot of these iconic custom cars should have a video documentary.. cant wait to see the new fade away laid out hopefully at a show after its been done, I always see Gene around in Cali shows.

8. Go to the link I provide to Rik Hovings Custom Car Chronicle site the known information is there.

Here it is again: https://www.customcarchronicle.com/cc-builders/gene-winfield-customs/winfields-jade-idol-sold/

9. HarryT

HarryT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few years ago I had the good fortune to see the Idol at Billy's shop. It was an experience I'll never forget.
    Jim

Stogy likes this.
  10. 'Mo

'Mo

Time has not always been so kind to the car.

[​IMG]
    (Photo from Kustomrama.)

11. Dick Lobach

Dick Lobach
    from Emmaus Pa

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. Dick Lobach

Dick Lobach
    from Emmaus Pa

I was lucky enough to see it on my way back from the Tyrods show in Hudson Mass. the day before 9/11

chryslerfan55, bobwop and Stogy like this.
  13. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Very cool. Love that its y-block powered. Why was it not driven? Whats wrong with it?

Sent from my SM-T805Y using H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. sololobo

sololobo

how cool to see the Jade Idol custom, I have loved this car since its early days. Gene will have it looking super again. Gene Winfield is one of my ultimate hero car stylist. Thanx for sharing!

54monarch, kiwijeff and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Will the Jade Idol make it to the Custom Car Revival in 2018? I sure hope so!!!

16. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for staring the thread, we were talking about this weekend. Someday, I hope to see it in person.

17. I remember when Winfield first built the Jade Idol and it was in all the car mags. I thought it was the most beautiful car I had ever seen! The later incarnations were no improvement, in my opinion. I hope that Gene will bring it back to its former glory. The more it's made to be like the original, the better, IMHO. We'll just have to wait and see what happens to it. It was SO beautiful when he first built it; since then, not so much.

kiwijeff, Bowtie Coupe and Sancho like this.
  18. it's still the Jade Idol... like all old Kustoms they all get changed to keep up with trends(good & bad) , or something happens(accident).. I'm just glad it's still around and can be enjoyed & seen ! ...

19. It's was always my favourite, untill the latest paintjob, so I'm very happy that it's getting redone.

20. Yep It was on display at the show next to Jade Idol II. DSC_0295.JPG DSC_0298.JPG DSC_0301.JPG DSC_0297.JPG DSC_0305.JPG

21. Retroline

Retroline

Nice to see it out on the road. Still looks great. Thanks for the photos.

22. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I agree with BJR, it doesn't look like it needs anything done to it.

23. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I agree also.

24. I didn't notice much damage or cracking in the bright sunshine. Looks quite good actually. I did notice the chrome and stainless is in need of refresh along with window seals and felts. none of it is really terrible just aged. Perhaps the reason for the planned respray has that in mind along with adding depth to the exterior finish.

loudbang likes this.
  25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Royal Tahitian got some exercise today

26. It's great that some of you like it in its new incarnation. But many of us are hoping that Gene Winfield can restore some of its former glory.

27. If anyone can restore that car to it’s former glory it’s Gene Winfield. After all , he did build it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Sancho, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  28. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I thought the current paint looked pretty good until seeing it next to the jade idol II.

I wish I knew how Gene gets the white highlight line down the center of the cars so darn straight! Does he add it after the fades are complete, or use white as the base coat and blend the candy up to it?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

This is what it looked like November 18, 2017.
    I was amazed at how thick the paint was, I guess that is to be expected if it has been painted several times. The other thing that I found interesting was that there are about 3,200 miles showing on the odometer. I'll wager that it has a lot more miles on the trailer than on the road IMG_1284.JPG IMG_1284.JPG

Attached Files: