Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The ideal Torque Convertor for a Model T with a 401 Nailhead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Doing some research for my Model T build. My engine in my Model T is a 401 Nailhead with a mild cam. 3.50 limited slip 9" Ford rear. 29.5" Tall rear cheaters. Figure 2500 lbs wet, if even that heavy.

I'm looking to have my car in the 2500 rpm range at cruising speeds and will be running a Turbo 400.

So my question is this. Would a 2600-stall convertor be the right call?
    Any thoughts or recommends are appreciated.

My car is on the right, Charlie's is on the left.

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 10.09.23 PM.png

2. squirrel

squirrel

It might be ok. A switch pitch transmission with stock ST300 converter would work pretty well, too. They usually get 2000-2500 stall in a heavier car, in high stall mode. And drop about 500 rpm in low stall mode.

What transmission do you have? is it a switch pitch? I thought they all were, the 400s for nailheads.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Like Squirrel said, you might be OK, but that is still a fairly high stall for a lightweight street car. If track time is involved, run with it, but for a street only car, I like to run the torque convertor as tight as possible to minimize slippage and the amount of heat that gets dumped into the trans.

4. I would ask " How much of a mild cam"? In other words, lobe centers and duration @ .050.
    A converter from a ST300 BOP car might work okay.
    From a straight six or V6 car, all the better.
    Should give you 2,000 and change, depending on cam shaft specs.

5. My Transmission is a Turbo 400, but not a switch pitch. It is not the OG transmission but I'
    d like to use it with an aftermarket high-stall converter. Any feed appreciated.

6. I might have confused you earlier. A ST 300 converter could be a switch pitch or not. Pontiac didn't use the SP trans at all, and some of the B, O's didn't. The non SP converter might work well for you .
    The Nail head shouldn't need much converter in that light a car, unless the camshaft profile has moved the torque curve way up. That's why I asked about the cam.

7. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I recently went through the search for the Willys. I talked with a tech at B&M and he asked about the motor combo, gears, etc. and recommended a converter. I felt the advice was solid and so far it had proven a good match. My guess is all the manufacturers of performance torque converters could give you good advice based on your car and combination.

8. oldolds

oldolds

My thinking is that if you want to cruise at 2500 rpm that you would want a converter that is hooked up well before that rpm. As stated above that much motor in a light car there is less need for a high stall converter. Do you want the high stall to get past the cam being too lumpy and not being able to idle in gear?