Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

The Hydro: Building the hydro for STREET and STRIP H.H. Uncapher ©1963 - SOLD

Discussion in '"The Antiquated" Classifieds' started by Tenaya, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Tenaya

Tenaya

City: Amarillo

State: TEXAS!
    Price: SOLD
    - SOLD, PAYMENT RECEIVED, SHIPPED -

Thanks, mutant55

-Tenaya

This is a relatively rare original copy of what I understand to be the definitive guide to hotrodding GM’s Hydra-Matic Drive transmission. I’m not a transmission expert, but the book starts out with some automatic transmission fundamentals and then jumps right into the thick of it on Page 6: REMOVAL OF TRANSMISSION FROM CAR. If you're building a period racer running a Hydro, this is a resource you need.

I want to be perfectly candid: The condition is what booksellers would categorize as somewhere between Poor and Fair. The book comes from the estate of the owner of an auto repair shop that ran from the mid-60’s into the early 2000’s (I knew the owners and they rebuilt 100’s, if not 1,000’s of transmissions over their 3+ decades in the business). They used this book for its intended purpose and that use shows in the condition: physical wear, dirt, grease marks, and water stains, along with some potentially useful ballpoint margin notes. On Page 125, FIG 369 Simulated drawing of a low lock valve was cut out, perhaps to have an outside shop make a replacement part, but the owner kept the cutout piece with the book and it’s included here.

All that said, ALL of the pages are there (the binding is worn, but intact), ALL of the pages and illustrations are legible, and ALL of the information is accessible. If you value patina, this book certainly has it :D

Clearly this copy isn’t a museum piece; but it’s more than good enough for shop use and my asking price reflects that. As of this posting there are three copies on eBay. One seems quite nice and has a BIN of $168.00 +$4.49 shipping. Another copy, also very nice, is listed at a BIN of $176.00 + free shipping. The third, showing a fair bit of wear, is an auction with a starting bid of $99.00 + $7.75 shipping. There is also a pretty nice copy for sale on Amazon for the completely insane price of $999.99 + $3.99 shipping.

I’d like to get $50.00 + free domestic shipping (USPS). If you’re outside the U.S., shipping probably won’t be free.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016