Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Hussy's Transformation!!! ('26 T Roadster)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Mar 27, 2009.

1. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Neat hot rod. Keep us advised as it progresses.

2. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Looks good! Drive the wheels off of it!

3. The wheels look great, but now the paint just seems to have no life.....maybe the chrome will help lift it....?? Otherwise, it's coming along great.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hmm that's an interesting thought. I did not notice so much but I can tell you that after having the car for a while the "lack" of chrome in the right areas such as the tube axle and hair pins make the paint look monotonous. That's probably what your eye is catching or perhaps I need a new color!!!!:D But I sort of thought that way down the line anyways.:D:D

5. Dude, I hate to do this to you, but that frame would be the cats ass if it were painted white. This is 1963 you know ;)

Plated axle and pins would look sharp as well. This coming from a guy who has never had a thing plated in his life :D

Love the stance, looks like a tiger ready to pounce.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Looks good, the color on the spokes looks right to me and a lot easier than what I was thinkin

7. yes,yes,yes!!! diggin' it!!

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I had thought about the white frame a couple times too. I am definitely doing the plating at some point. You know what's up Chris. I think your a closet showrod guy deep down.:D

I thought about the advise you gave me but I just didn't think I had the talent to pull it off. Especially since I have never shot anything that doesn't come in a can from the get go. Your positive response on the wheels is definitely one I respects since your stuff is so spot on and accurate.

Thanks guys.

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i was thinkin' the same thing as chris. a white frame with the axle and hairpins chromed...maybe a banjo rear with the bells chromed and the center section white to match the frame...

love the wheels though, and those tri-stripes...they give me the vapors...

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like the ideas but I was sort of trying to keep this thing not too showy which I know is sort of a contradiction of most 60's cars I know. The Banjo rear is the nicest rear ever produced but replacing my '56 Chevy rear is counterintuitive as far as a "HOT ROD" goes.

I like the white frame idea but I think the chromed front end may do the trick when it's completed. If not the frame may be the next step although I don't want to copy too much off the IVO "t" haha!!

Pearl White engine?

Thanks the Tires are my favorite part of the car.

11. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Awesome looking T, but that steering arm scares the crap out of me, if you had a blow out on that front tire, wouldn't the arm drop into the pavement and leave you with no control, also the Ackerman principal of paralel travel on the wish bones and drag link being as close to the same as possible would give you better handleing...........Just asking.....:eek:

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

There has been a bunch of concerns pertaining to that steering arm. With everthing that I know about Ackerman and such you would think the steering and handling of this car would be terrible and contain a lot of bump steer. But I'll be honest this car drive awesome and steers great too! The thing that could really help is if I got rid of the welded spider grears out back that create the posi. The rear pushes through corners and can be difficult at low speeds.

I think the arm does look "ify" in the pics and may even look "ify" to you in person. I did not build the car originally and can only say that this car had been beat upon and taken across great distances with no problems. It's actually a great car to drive (if you can get used to how small it is). As far as a tire blow out, I believe the bottom of the arm to be above the bottom of the rim so as long as my measurements are correct that should be ok.

I'll be honest, I don't think that this car is safe but I don't think anything this small and fast really ever is. I try to be as responsible as I possibly can when driving it and check things religiously to make sure I cover my bases. I give the car my utmost respect while driving.

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i am sure that as a working stiff you have a budget. i was just trying to live vicariously through you for a bit. as for the chevy rear being a better 'hot rod' rear, i suppose you are right. at least, in this case, with the motor you've got and all.

you may be right about the painted front being enough once the frame is white. but i'd be itching to get SOMETHING to the chromers...haha

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

By all means lend me every bit of your wishes and opinions. I love to hear them all and many of the ones you have listed have been running in my mind for a while. I am certainly itching to get stuff to the chromers....in fact I had a chrome shop (locally) take down everything I wanted to be chromed so that I could get it done before the Round Up but I never heard back and after 5 calls I figure this asshole doesn't deserve my business. Because this guy could have supposedly done it really cheap was why I thought about getting it done. If I were to pay a big chrome shop I may have to sell everything I own to get it done. Hahaha!!

It's still ringing in the back of my head and perhaps if I can shame this guy into doing it even cheaper because he did not return my call I may get it done this summer. Other wise I have some stuff on my plate and I am just grateful to have a running car right now that I can cruise around Charlotte with.

And just remember if you can trade me a '36 Ford Coupe or roadster you can own this one!!!:D:D:D:D

15. I'm sure you saw it, but there is an article in R&C this month on chroming headers and keeping them from bluing. They said the chromer leaves out the copper step, and then powdercoat the inside for insulation. But like I said, I'm sure you already saw it. Love the transformation, some chrome and white paint would go a long way to making it AWESOME!

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I actually don't mind the Bluing of the exhaust but thanks for the heads up. I just got my R&C in last week and have not looked through it. A new exhaust will have to be built if I want to chome them. These ones have seen better days and I would like to use a different main pipe and get rid of the external cap.

17. Mmmm, I'm really not into show rods. I mean don't take offence to that or anything. I'm into cars that are kinnda the exact opposite of show rods. "patina" is a good word for cars I dig the most. But it's gotta be real ;) I do love a great looking car with all the right colors and a good splash or chrome, but a lot of show rods are just fuckin gawdy and are loaded up with a bunch of stupid shit that has no ryme or reason. It gives a good show car a bad name.

So, if it were my car, I would plate the axle and hairpins, also probably do the drag link and tie rod as well. I would paint the frame anything but the same as the body (probably white) and do some other things simple black (steering box, pitman arm, backing plates, ect). This way it gets that show look, but nothing overboard at all.
    Please see this as just my opinion, your car is fuckin RAD as-is, this is just my honest opinion on what I would do if I were in your shoes. Do what you want, you have so far, and so far it's looking SWEET!!

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh Chris, you silly bastard. I know you like your shit worn in and authentic so no offense taken. I know that this may be hard to believe but as much as I love this car I would trade it any day for a late 40's bare bones hot rod. I really never thought I would own a car like this but I am glad that I bought it. Flashy has never been my thing and I almost think that a Roadster in general gives me too much attention.

None the less, I have grown attached to this car and I do love the instant speed on tap which is the main reason I have grown fond of these cars as of late. But the car that I build with my own two hands will be a far far cry from what I have here. It will be bare and stripped of the unnecessary stuff such as chrome for the most part.

Thanks for the advise. I know you know what's up so your opinion is welcomed and embraced. I have been going back and forth whether to get rid of this car for something that my wife can ride in when she eventually becomes pregnant. I thought a '35-'36 Ford Coupe but your friends Sedan is wearing on me!!!

19. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Jeffery, Chris is RIGHT about the white frame!The mixed wheels look spot-on, I like the tripple white walls too!Your ''T'' is gettin' more '60's show Rod, everytime I see it and again as Chris says its' lookin' SWEET!

Nick.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You guys have my mind spinning!! The white frame would look awesome but it'll have to wait till winter or beyond because I have the '54, the '31, and '32 to get started and I don't want the car to be sitting during the summer when I could be driving.

On a similar note, looking at the Weez Painting it appears that his "T" has a white frame so I'm thinking you guys are on to something. What about the pearl white engine block since we are daydreaming?

21. Fuck, yeah paint the block white...then be prepared to have to touch it up and clean it after every drive. Pull it out every spring and repaint because it stains. I mean, it is a huge show rod trick, but if you wanna drive it, I'd paint it another color and just dress it accordingly.

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hahaha!!!! Definitely don't want that much maintenance on something that is a fair weathered car to begin with. I would rather drive it more often then wash it. What sort of sucks is that NC has really beautiful climate (hot and soggy) but it rains at least once a day it seems in the Summer which hold this car back from being driven even more. That's why I did not want to get this car too showy because I want to be able to drive it without worrying about polishing everything again the next time I brought it out.

All these plans may be just that because like I said, don't be surprised if this thing finds a new home and is replaced with a '36 sooner or later.

24. 31whitey

31whitey

Its been nasty here lately...like its stuck between seasons...

I feel like im living in a warm, wet, sock....

the car looks good, but better its been a driver, logged some highway miles...

If it was me...I leave it...

Channel your energy(and your cake) into your 32 build...

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh I am resting right now as far as thoughts, emotion and energy goes. I am trying to reserve my self for when that new body is resting in my garage.

I do have to get that '31 ready for my father-in-law and Davina and I would like to have the '54 driving one year from now so I have to bust my ass in other areas, so rest assure the Roadster is staying as is for this summer. I need to focus on getting the rest of my shit on order before moving on to that one though.

As for the weather? It's been good here until this past weekend. Little on the colder side (80º) for Charlotte but still nice. Dude you need to take your wetsuit off while welding. No wonders it feeling like a wet warm sock!!!

26. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

On a similar note, looking at the Weez Painting it appears that his "T" has a white frame so I'm thinking you guys are on to something. What about the pearl white engine block since we are daydreaming?[/QUOTE]

MMM! Pearl white would look bloody KILLER!!!:D

Nick.

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah but as Chris stated, it just sounds like a pain in the ass huh?

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think the white frame looks cool but I don't think that it should be the entire frame. Out back where the "Z" is located becomes way too apparent. I think maybe from the firewall forward in a pearl white and chrome the front suspension. Here is a quick photoshop before I call it a night.

[​IMG]

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Bump for white frame opinions! Do you like the back of the frame white too?

30. Yeah, looks a little busy out back, but really like it up front. Try the whole frame black...what does that look like?