Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Hurst Floor Shift Special

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banjeaux bob, May 13, 2012.

1. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I thought about posting these in the Linda Vaughn thread......

Attached Files:

2. striper

striper

Kinda cool...I think. I'm not sure I understand why though.

3. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Wasn't that built by Smokey Yunick?

4. ecna

ecna

Yup!

5. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The idea was to offset weight to the inside for taking the corners at Indianapolis. Probably not too safe, though...

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Not really, it was more for aero. The insperation for Smokey was the P-38 fighter plane he saw during WW2.
    Stock car driver, Bobby Johns was the driver and was cutting good laps on the last day of qualifying until he backed it in the wall, probably would have made the show, but they didn't have time to fix it.
    Smokey had every intention to bring it back in 65, but after the Sachs-McDonald conflageration, USAC changed car construction rules to avoid that happening again. Tony Hulman really wanted Smokey to bring it back, and even took Tom Binford (USAC head man) down to Fla. to see if there was any way to get around the new rules, without Smokey having to redesign the car. Apparently nothing ever came of it, as it never turned another lap.

Attached Files:

7. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

Not very traditional.

8. what's NOT traditional about it? it doesn't have flat black paint and red wheels with spider webs?

9. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Smokey Yunick,..."Traditional"????? From anything I read about him, he was anything but !!! Definitely an innovator, and genius, for sure .

4TTRUK

10. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Marc image....

Attached Files:

11. Yep Yunick special. I don't think it ever raced at indy but it is in the Indy museum from what i understand.