Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hot Rod With No Name

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, Feb 9, 2009.

1. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

So a while back, my buddy Jody and I were talking cars, and he mentioned he had this Model A coupe he was wanting to build. We talked for a bit, and came up with some plans, but nothing definite. Jodys' dad had been a drag racer back in the day, and Jody had grown up around all things that go fast and go straight. The plan was for something along those lines. Influences included his dads cars, BSB, Deaths Doorstep and Azrael (much to my surprise). So I started with the typical questions. What mill? (More than likely a Hemi). Stance? Wheels & tires? The stick was a for sure no matter what. So the stuff we could order, we did. Stick, spindles, king pins, bellhousing, etc.

Jody was able to locate 331, but it ended up having a cracked block. Which sucked. A week or so later, he located a 392, made the purchase, and we were in. A set of Radir Spindle Mounts was chosen for the front hoops, and Jody always liked the classic Torq Thrust in the rear. As a side note, I JUST missed a set of MINT Dragmaster 15x8's on egay by $5. :( Originally the thought was to go with steelies at first, and a set of Hurst slicks. But, nice as the Hurst slicks are, the decision was made that they were too heavy (especially with the steelies) for the application. So for now, until the right set of five spokes can be found for the back end, I located a set of used AR Torg Thrusts and we're wrapping them in a set of Radir Cheater skins.

He liked the grill treatment on BSB and Azrael. I didn't want to do the exact same thing, so I located a 1939 Plymouth P8 grille with most of the trim for the front end. So far, we're on the road. Mocked up, we'll take some frame dimensional data off of it after Jody gives us the thumbs up.

As for the name, I asked Jody if he was going to name it a while back. He wasn't sure, but more than likely, as most dragsters get one. While listening to the Huckster play a few Saturdays ago up in Rockford, I asked again. He said, "yeah. The Hot Rod With No Name." Instantly I knew what he was talking about. Clint. Eastwood. I laughed and said it was perfect. Jody replied, "yeah, just like Clint. It'll show up out of no where. Kick ass. And then leave before anyone knows what hit them." :D

Enjoy. More to follow in the weeks to come.

Oh, and the intake. Well, it's right along the lines of my passion. Super f-ing rare, and when it gets here I'll post some photos for you guys to drool over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

3. Hot hot hot!!!

4. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

I'd like to see this one come together.

5. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Love all the componants, except not convinced of the grill yet. Keeping an open mind though.

6. Slickster51_50

Slickster51_50

That gonna be one bithin ride!!! Seems like you guys are going like mad around there.I wish i lived closer i would love to work in a shop like that.Only sucks im only a mechanic.Not a bodyman.

7. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am really liking what I see , but I have to agree with " choppintops " , Not to sure about that thing in the front .

8. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

Evil I tells ya!! :cool:

9. skwurl

skwurl

The grill should go.

10. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I'm not saying it should go, I'm just saying "I don't see it". From the height, its obvious that it wont stay exactly as is, so I'm going to wait and see, but at this point it looks too "tractor grill'ish" to me. The rest of the car gives me a chub.

11. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

re: the grille thing....just because it's old, doesn't mean it works. semi-streamlined parts like that just don't work on boxy cars - it will always look wrong. Stick with 29 shell or chopped 31 or deuce or make something you like (scour old Bonneville articles - sometimes you'll get an idea from seeing what someone else has done).

dj

12. Jersey Meathook

Jersey Meathook

Cut the hell outa the grille and I think it'll be good.

13. tr12

tr12

hey guys,do a search for the ugly truck,it used the same style grille and it looked really awesome.but, as some of you say,the square body and that grill i still arent sure will fit together but im pretty sure in the end itll still come out lookin pretty neat.

14. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

look`s like the hot rod with no frame ?

15. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I wasnt fond of it on the ugly truck either. Not to mention, a 40s bare cab pickup is a bit "rounder" than a model A and it throws the flow off IMO.

16. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Wow. Lots of reaction so soon. I'd ask everyone to give me a chance first. It worked on several other cars, and it should work just fine on this one too.

17. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Yet.

18. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

That's why I said I'm keeping an open mind. As it sits, I think the grill looks like ass, but when you do your magic touch,,,who knows????

Best part, even if I do/dont like it in the end,,, who cares? Its not mine,

19. HAIRY!! Good move NOT using Hurst slicks. Recaps suck. Please don't use a '32 grille! Different is good!

20. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Now, I'm not one to copy someone, especially myself. And just so all the "rat rodders" know, this is mine. And I don't have the time to work on it right now (or for the last two years for that matter), so it's not done. That's right. NOT DONE. It'll get a nice paint job, and some polished stuff. IT'S NOT DONE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  21. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You nay sayers on the grille are poking at a bonafide design genius. You may want to check a resume before calling someone's style judgment into question. I think his vision trumps yours. That whole shop is on their A game.

I'll just sit back and watch.

p.s. I need some of them bad ass header flanges of yours for a vortec 350. Any of those in the line up? PM me if you need some dimensions. No rush. ;)

22. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

23. SteadyT

SteadyT

I like it with the grille, just keep the body low to keep up with it.

P.S. Why the hate towards re-treads? Did you get killed by a set?

24. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

25. I think the Grille treatment will be totally sick, IN A GOOD WAY!!! And those last 2 pics just sum it up. That thing looks like it is ready to kick your ass, and take you to hell in a hand bag... Keep up the AWESOME work... and the updates too :)

will

26. The grille is hideous. Rebel Rodz are so yesterday. Come on man! What brand of ganja are ya smoking. Please. Just because it is different does not make it good. I know you have done some cool things in the past but come on man. I just can't see it. Now where is that old Doors album? I know it is here somewhere. Stone emaculate!

27. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

No hate on them at all. They LOOK kick ass. But are several pounds heavier than the Radirs. And weight=speed. Jody plans on taking it to the track, and although I've not looked it up in the rulebook, I'm sure there is a rule against re-treads below a certain time (or at all). And I'm not in the habit of spending someones hard earned greenbacks on something they can't use.

As for the comment about "rebel rodz", I'm not one to usually say something like this, but you can shove that one somewhere dark. ANYONE that's been to our shop knows our quality and that we try to be traditional, tasteful, and somewhat outside the box. I've also learned that we tend to build "love 'em or hate 'em" hot rods. Maybe you think we should use a glass '32 shell? Or no wait, maybe stick with a repro Model A shell? Come on guys, if you want to stick to the norm, go build a '69 Camaro. Customs and Hot Rods are all about creativity. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but at least try. And remember, there's a reason there are menu's in restaurants.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  28. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

I need to add weight to the rear of my model A. Have to keep the fuel tank full during speed exibitions. dont get the part about rear wheels being too heavy ? ? ?

you will need weight balast back their plus sticky tires for safety. All the weight will be up front from hemi........poses a wierd scene at 100 mph.

trust me on this one !

29. HotRod33

HotRod33

I like it...lets see how the grille works out its different but its cool.....

30. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

Cool build so far, look forward for more updates.