Register now to get rid of these ads!

History THE HOT-ROD PROBLEM - Life Magazine, Nov 7, 1949

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C. John Stutzer, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  2. Damn crazy teen age hot rodders.....................

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. A Boner

A Boner

Looks like the Keith Weesner roadster.......didn't know he is that old!

4. 1pickup

1pickup

If I was a teenager reading that in 1949, I'd want to join in the fun. The thing that really stood out to me now as an old guy, was the hat ad. Four damn near identical hats, with four different names, & four different uses. Were people really that dumb then?

bengeltiger and C. John Stutzer like this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Guess you're not a hat guy. No worries, some guys just don't "get it". I own a few Fedora's from J.&J. on 5th in Manhattan and when I lived in New York City, it was still a VERY stylish hat. None of those hats in the ad are the same, but a "hat guy" can see that and admire the differences. Dumb? Hardly. Sadly, in cities other than NY, a nice hat gets a bad eye. Peasants!:D

Now, ya wanna know what's dumb? Owning 10 different baseball caps and the only differences are the free advertising slapped on the front. Now, that sir, is REALLY dumb. And I own 20 or so.:D

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

them were the days of being wild in the streets, and with no billet

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Damn hoodlums. Funny, kinda, I bet they didn't do an article about all those middle aged grown ups, driving drunk.

[​IMG]

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  8. None of this is true, at least, that's what a Hamber once said, in no uncertain terms, when I mentioned these type of printed fabrications.

denis4x4 likes this.
  9. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Pretty cool....This date is my actual birthday

10. I just want it to be known that I was one of the "cool greasers" in high school, and wore my points and Florsheim shoes.

Black. Highly polished. Deadly.

BOOM

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I believe you, even your name fits the profile.:cool:....:)

12. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Damn kids. What's the world coming to?

Hah! I have that "Champ B-17", guess I can only were it with sporty clothes from now on.

I own probably 8 or 9 fedoras, and more than a few other Trilbys, Homburgs, and Milans, but only one ball-cap. Guess I'm a "Hat Guy"...

13. Then??? o_O Now they're all buying $300 telephones that all look the same. :p

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I always knew about chicken but never heard of the musical chairs car thing, I guess it wasn't as popular because you had to have a suicide rear door, 4 door to play. Though it was stupid I could have probably done it when I was younger but today I think I would be doing good if I could do it,walking the running board etc.with the car sitting still:D
    [​IMG]
    The bottom pic reminds me of some of the things seen on TV today about condemning drug making or bomb making but it shows basically how they make it:rolleyes: ridiculous !

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    C. John Stutzer likes this.
  15. On the rotation thing, I guarantee he is not opening that back door on the 4-door at 50 or 60 mph. Really would be a suicide door.

Mick

16. in 1949 a hot rod was considered a problem.....now when a cop sees and old car with someone with grey hair driving it they don't even give it a second glance

17. mountainman2

mountainman2

That article proves that "journalistic license" is not a new style invented by today's media. (However, the "modern journalists" seem to have perfected the art.)