Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Hot Rod Dash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 6, 2008.

1. alchemy

alchemy

I like dashboards too. I seem to prefer oddball 20's-30's dashes that I find at the swaps. Usually having no idea what they came out of.

And then there's the gauges to go in them................

2. Somebody should post Rolf's Dash up here.
    Simple and classic. Here is mine. It is the dash that came with the car. It had some custom work done to it in the center. I left the center V and had to cover the middle area where the gauges had been as the fill job was pretty rough. I hope someday somebody will recognize the V to find some history on it.

Attached Files:

3. Jdee

Jdee

I have heard the first dash boards were to keep your horses from kicking up rocks when you dashed along the old roads. :D
    Some of our collection at the old shop..
    Jdee
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Thank you! Finally someone brought that up. "Instrument Panels" people, they're called instrument panels..... :rolleyes:

5. alchemy

alchemy

Instrument panels are the chrome surrounds that hold the gauges. Dashboards are the wide steel parts that hold the instrument panels.

6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I've always thought that for me the right wheels and tires and dash treatment really define what a particular is about. I always look at the dash.

7. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I am with you on less is more. Zach and I were just discussing the Bob McGee dash the other day.

Like Harrison said, sometimes a '40 dash is hard to beat. Like in this roadster last week at the GNRS-- sweet
    [​IMG]

8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Stock Model A rail extended to fit the 58 Edsel dash W/ Sun Gauges the covered in Pleats

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Deadender60

Deadender60

Ryan you are a lunatic.. but I think I am aswell, I did the same thing on Monday (and do a lot of) I stayed up past 2am looking at old lowrider pics.. Yes I know I should of been working on deadend.. but I was stuck on looking at old pics.. anyways... great dashes.
    -Juan

10. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I always liked the 33 plymouth insert, and mentioned to a buddy that I was looking for one on ebay, he reached in a cabinet and handed me this one and said "here, take it, i'll never use it" Here it is roughed in on my roadster
    [​IMG]

11. ig'nant

ig'nant

Damn Ryan, you're a mind reader. I've been obsessing over two things lately: What can I chop up and turn into a hot rod body, and what's the coolest dash I can hack up and put into said bastard-child hot rod body.

Cool stuff.

12. autobilly

autobilly

Petejoe, love your dash. I've gotta get a digital camera and learn how to post pictures. I'd love to show you guys an EK Holden (GM Australia) dash,cluster and steering wheel.

13. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

uh..why...?

:)

14. plmczy

plmczy

Evel, that is kool. I was looking for one of those instrument clusters for my dodge, but I settled on a 53 plymouth dash for it. later shawn

15. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I take the "less is more aproach" as well
    [​IMG]

16. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

The dash is my 29 was "lightened" before I got it. I have been trying to decide what to do....

I have a stock gauge from a 64 Ford pickup... really nice round spedo about 7" in diameter. Matbe I'll make something like the Neikamp dash. Or use this nice Chevy dash that I have. (might ruin the all Ford thing that I have going)

[​IMG]

thanks for the blog post Ryan - sleep well.

- Joe

17. 55olds88

55olds88

cause they are pretty cool, specially for Aus stuff, I have long thaught about using the turn signal lights out of an EK dash in something else (they unbolt at the rear) ..... I am a bit biased having spent the best part of 20 years looking at one at least occasionally.
    For my A however I go from simple to sliced and diced 55-56 Olds dash to match the intended power plant (right around into the doors where it wraps around too....) would make it easy to remember where to find things too..... :)

18. autobilly

autobilly

Because even though they are local product (and for some a cause for "cultural cringe"), I like the styling and think they are kool. Also because most HAMBers haven't seen 'em.

19. stragedy

stragedy

Cos EK's are COOL ! Mini 57 chebbies.
    I want one. Stretch the front door and convert it to 2 door and drop the top...
    Pic blatantly stolen from the internet somewhere..

[​IMG]

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That is superb!

21. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Soon to be finished. 32 Roadster.

[​IMG]

22. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

One of my favorites........ because I also own a rare set of these 5" SW gauges and the same set of smaller 2 5/8 crescent gauges to go with them.... It's all going in my roadster...

[​IMG]

23. HELLMET

HELLMET

my dash also keeps my up at nite. can't wait to see those gauges come to life. soon i hope .billy

Attached Files:

24. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Did you guys notice that he used a Chevy valve cover to bump out the center of the firewall?

Attached Files:

25. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

dash art, as a kid I liked my old mans 47 dodge, the speedo would change colors from green, to yellow, to red, as speed increased. would watch my Model A gas gauge, the indicator would move as the level would drop, and pretty soon you could see the gas itself. Duece gas and temp gauges, amazed me. Absolutly th best looking were the 40,s Buick gauges.And Buicks were among the fastest cars, the speedo said so, Buicks went to 120 and slo poke Caddys only 115. Glad i didnt think about this stuff before bedtime ggg

26. metalshapes

metalshapes

Here are some of the Dashes I did...

'27 T coupe.

Attached Files:

27. metalshapes

metalshapes

'23 Rpu.

Attached Files:

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

Another '27T Coupe.