Register now to get rid of these ads!

the Horne post

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, May 19, 2010.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Nice piece,
    Easy mistake unless you know what to look at, I learned that myself, not so much the hard way though, Bought an NOS Cragar 4-71 blower intake thinking it was Olds, discovered it was Cadillac and sold it for a small profit.

For those that dont know, Olds has a staggered bolt pattern and water cross over, Cad has straight bolt pattern and no cross over.

Speedy Canuck and loudbang like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. loudbang

loudbang

Jot Horne is a name that may be unfamiliar to many hot rodders but the guy was an absolute legend back in the day and a genius to boot. He was the guy who doodled the famed Cragar S/S wheel and he worked for places like Bell Auto Parts. His name does not appear on many individual parts but there are about 100 intake manifolds that he made back in the 1950s that are as prized by hot rodders now as they were back then. Why? Because they worked.

Horne’s dad was a wooden pattern maker and he helped with the manufacturing of these intakes. We actually found one for sale on eBay that comes with four Stromberg carbs on it. While we are not sure that the balance tubes which are installed under the runners were there from the beginning we can say that this is a pleasing piece to look at and it would really set off any Cadillac 331 or 390 engine. Old school rodders would completely geek when they saw the piece on a hot rod because of their rarity.

This one has the word “Carnes T” etched into it. We can only guess that it was done by a ‘rodder who built a T-bucket with a Cadillac engine decades ago and wanted to personalize the thing just that much more.

cadillac1.jpg cadillac2.jpg cadillac3.jpg cadillac4.jpg cadillac5.jpg cadillac6.jpg

from here http://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/horne-cadillac-intake-manifold/

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Interesting, the plenum was completely removed and replaced with the balance tube.
    More like a Man-A-Fre,
    I wouldn't be surprised if it actually worked better.

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Tuck like this.
  5. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thats what I was thinking... I saved pics of that intake when I seen it for sale on Ebay or somewhere, someone did a lot of work to that thing. You would never even know unless you flipped it over either- so cool!

loudbang likes this.
  6. Fish392

Fish392
    from Elkmont,Al

Does anyone have a Hemi version available ? Working on a 392 project

7. Well, add another Hemi to the total I guess. Picked up this poor one at the Portland meet swap last week. Someone did some bad things to it but it was to neat to pass on. I'd like to figure out why and some history on this thing before I haul off and fix it. Really weird....

IMG_4698.JPG IMG_4699.JPG IMG_4700.JPG

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That is a really strange modification... I can't imagine why they would have done that. nice score though....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Maybe carb bases were blocked off and it got fuel/air through added ports, potvin style?

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That one looks so cool all polished like that. I haven't read the whole thread but if I had one of those th efirst thing I would do is weld an accent over the "e" or add a "y"!

loudbang likes this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Welllll... I bought a Horne (Chrysler 4 in a row 97s) from the esteemed Brian Burnett, of "DEUCARI" fame.
    It went on my 354 Hemi I got from Jim Gomes ('Gomer', Bay Area Rdstrs) Mine came off the '40 Ford Coupe (Santa Clara) owned/built by Hank Silva, who built one of the first slingshot Hemi dragsters in N. Calif.; Sadly, lost to a thief in 1990.

My younger brother has a Horne Chrysler (also 4 in a row) on his Chrysler 331 hemi. He got his from Bonneville Butch, Butch had it since '60...

So, there's two accounted for...

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  12. That's the only thing I can imagine but who knows, there was some interesting stuff being done in the late 50's & early 60's.

loudbang likes this.
  13. So this is just my second post on the site, I've lurked on it for years. I have a chance to buy a Horne 4x2 for a early Hemi...any idea what its worth? Thanks in advance for the input.

14. titus

titus

Well...... Y-block #2 showed up last week, i was at hershey last week, my buddy was there too and he texted me a pick of a y-block horne, he said he stopped a guy that was carrying it and asked if he want to possibly sell it, he said maybe, so my buddy got his number and gave it to me, i called him and talked to him for a bit, made him a offer and he said yes, so we met up and i bought it, i told him about the history etc etc.

IMG_5312.jpg

jimmy six, IronFord, Chucky and 5 others like this.
  15. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Nice find!

I have a Olds Horne, but I dont know if you should add it to your total because I bought it from a fellow HAMBer.

16. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I seem to recall reading an article in the rodders journal about Jot Horne how Cragar rented him a corner building on his lot for him too start his bisiness but it only lasted a few years and Cragar bought the pattern from him after he closed up shop. He is also the one who desined the Cragar ss mag wheel.

Kan Kustom and loudbang like this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Got this early olds Horne in the classifieds here. It was poorly modified to fit a 324. I machined off the welds and sanded and re polished it

514F9D84-794B-4B11-ADA8-C7C8C37BD3E8.jpeg
    F2F3A490-EFA1-4EEB-B17E-96975729289F.jpeg FCBA5BF2-0EC9-4D15-8E18-3BA137A12BF7.jpeg 9D46E900-4C67-49A1-8DC3-DA2AB08AD572.jpeg

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

With carbs and linkage

11494225-6CE3-4F1F-8ACE-09E64424698A.jpeg 72DC88E5-3AC3-45A5-8050-0055A50DFAA6.jpeg

19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

20. titus

titus

kidcampbell71, loudbang and Moriarity like this.
  21. Ed Green

Ed Green

add one more sitting in so cal desert. 20201121_131102.jpg

22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok, don’t leave us hanging, what’s the story??

23. Ed Green

Ed Green

oh, i have mentioned in another post about a 30 roadster body i was going to be the first in line for as a shell on saturday morning. early 730 comes and they say it has been sold. i said Huh? sucks for me well i said anything else for sale out there Rosamond Ca. they said yes come out and take a look. i drove out and in the middle of dirty pallets piles and broken down crates everywhere. there were car parts laying everywhere. i started to scrounge around and saw at bottom of crate covered in dirt a couple carbs i said cool and looks like a 4x2 intake attacked literally filled with decades of dirt i said hey how much for the carbs and intake in here he says well im to old and big to get in middle of pile and look make any offer i said $50 bucks okay he says sure. before i knew what it really was i dragged everything off the top and and yanked it out of the dirt and trid to read it and vaguely recall a couple post of horne speed equipment. as it was tuff to read with all that fine dirt as you can tell. well it was amongst alot more parts for olds rocket so i assumed it was to a 304 rocket. i may have missed out on the roadster but what a nice suprprise nice to not get discouraged. also i bought a 65 mustang shell for 600. turned out to be a GT A code. i wish i had got that roadster although the guy who purchased was very nice and hot rod enthusiest. Richard Good luck i couldnt find the doors. lol

Regards Ed, Green

24. Hahaha a Horne intake for $50. Incredible!

25. Ed Green

Ed Green

I would trade for that roadster body though, lol but then i have a 29 RPU i can put a 56 324 in with 304 heads. would be cool.

loudbang likes this.
  26. titus

titus

awesome find great score!

loudbang likes this.
  27. Sold mine to the Austin Speed Shop a few years back . IMG_0708.JPG

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. hotrodboogie

hotrodboogie
    from LA

Attached Files:

loudbang and RICH B like this.
  29. hotrodboogie

hotrodboogie
    from LA

Hi all. I’m in the U.K. I found this several years ago in the USA. Does anyone have any info on it please?

RICH B likes this.
  30. Rita Diaz

Rita Diaz

I think I have one of those Horne manifold. And I think it's for a Cadillac