Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Hollish Bros. Coupe (restoration shots)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike The Photo Guy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks man, the blower case looks a lot longer than the standard set up I have seen from Potvin. Maybe it was just the picture and the end plate gives it the longer look?
    Or I'm just seeing things.
    Doc.

2. oj

oj

Chain drive? New one on me.

3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

AWESOME! good to see an amazing buildup not too far from home! :D

4. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Got the hole cut in the roof, then reinforced with 3/8 cold rolled rod. Also got the back door built and in place, reinforced the opening with 5/16 cold rolled rod. Ftroop started sanding the body down, while Jerry and I were fitting the wheel tub rest on the quarter panels. more later, Todd. Sorry for the photo's, Mike was busy at the track, so i took them:confused:

Attached Files:

5. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

One more.

Attached Files:

6. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

cool oldsmobile rocket history there, ohh i love it!
    and it's a car there aswell! pretty cool aswell :D

7. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy

Here's the latest update photos of the Coupe. Todd's been working hard to get this done before the Hot Rod reunion at Beech Bend. It stopped raining just long enough to roll it out and grab a few shots before the sun went down. The body is coming off tonight so the elbow bars on the chassis can come out. There needs to be a few adjustments to get the wheel tubs to fit just right. Everything is on track so far.
    Mike TPG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

Very faithful re-creation of an historic ride...

Are you going to paint it as the original was?

What's the visibility going to be like?
    Or doesn't that matter in a car like this?

Are you going to have t-shirts made up with artwork by some of the
    Friday talent?
    I want one when/if you do...

Can't wait to see it run.

Thanx' for all the photo sharing.

9. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy

The paint will be the same. Todd should be able to see some of the track. It will be faithful to the original in that aspect. There's got to be T-shirts made. I sure as hell want one. The original car was started at 1:00 am the night before the 59' Nationals in Detroit.
    I'll make sure to keep the photos coming.
    Mike TPG

10. Thanks Mike.

Nice photo's

11. pdc

pdc

HOLY COW!!!! No words to describe.

12. 65 impala

65 impala

cant wait to see some footage

13. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Thanks Mike, I'll keep you posted on the progerss we make after this weekend. Todd.

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Todd, you guys going to be in the garage working on Saturday evening? Megan and a couple of guys from Ohio are coming into town for the weekend and since we are heading to the Sidetrack for dinner Saturday night I thought I'd bring the posse over if in fact you'd be around.

15. matt--8

matt--8

Man that thing is cool!!!

16. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Look for a PM from me. I'll be around but you'll have to call first. My girlfriend's kids 3rd birthday is tomarrow.

17. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy

I dropped by Todd's for a little beer and building session Saturday night on my way home from the Dragstrip. Todd was scraping shit from the underside of the body and planning the the wheel tubs. The elbow bars are an issue and Todd was trying the chassis out for fit. I could tell the stress of the build was getting to Todd. I offered to take him to Aubrey's for a few Large beers, but that ain't going to help get it the dragster done. I packed my Devil horns up and went home. I hope he had a better day Sunday.
    Mike TPG
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. rick finch

rick finch

Do I hear varoom,varoom noises from his mouth?;)

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Todd, thanks so much for the hospitality Saturday night. I really enjoyed meeting you, checking out the car and hearing all the history. The HRR is going to be so special this year seeing your car go down the strip.

Mike, sorry we missed you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy

He might have been saying "what have I got myself into, Varrom Varoom!"
    Mike TPG

21. Mike The Photo Guy

Mike The Photo Guy

22. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Thanks for taking the time to show it to us Todd, I love it! The photos and documentation are amazing. I'm so glad this motor found Todd, he's doing the right thing. And to have the Hollish Bros and Jiggs a part of it makes it even better.

I can't wait to see it done and going down the track! :D

23. Cool old gas drag car! Nice to see it being recreated and as original as possible.

Running a chain drive . . . nuts if you ask me! :D You better build one big-ass chain enclosure - as I imagine they won't let you run it anywhere near the public "as is". (At least I wouldn't). I wouldn't stand anywhere near that car - scares the hell out of me just looking at it!

One thing I noticed, the two custom "pop off" valves look to be original SCOT blower manifold pop-offs . . . just like I have on my SCOT setup for a flathead.

That is one of the things I like about early drag racing - you put things together with your own imagination and whatever parts you could beg, borrow, cobble together, etc . . . whatever it took to go racing!

24. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

That's exactly the type of car that gives me a "woody" when I look at my old car mags, when cars actually had individual personalities that reflected the owner and what they had, not the sponsor and what it costs.....oh for a "way back machine"............CONGRATS to you for getting into this....you may hate it now but eventually you will be glad you did and it will be a thing of the past that you'll always be proud of........Best of Luck!........keep us posted.........

25. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

I'm glad I got the chance to meet everybody, thanks for taking the time to stop over. Just give me a call if your in town and want to stop again. Todd

26. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Those blower pop-off valves are actually Chassis Research parts. As far as the blower chain, It's no differant than a motorcycle. Have you ever seen the little plastic chain gaurds on the new bikes? Real flimsy, but they work. I'm pretty sure the galvinized 20 gage should do the job. Thanks for the comment's:) At this point I'll all the positive reinforcment I can get.

27. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

That is exactly the point, I'm glad people see it that way. Thanks, Todd.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  28. One thing to note on the chain drive. The speed of the chain on a motorcycle is nowhere near the speed of the chain on a blower -- let alone how fast the load is applied when you go from a couple thousand RPM to 6,000 plus as you stab the throttle on burnouts or launches. Have you ever seen one come off at high speed . . . hide the women and children please!

Then I think about the fuel lines and the injector pump right up front there . . . and I begin to shudder ;-)

29. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Any chance of a measurement in the front ? and some detailed pix of top and bottom of circled area ?

Attached Files:

30. youngb!tch

youngb!tch
    from Canton MI

i have to say that this is one bad ass car in person, everyone should come and see it at a show. i enjoy working on the car and cant wait to do the body work on it.