Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Hitchhikers Guide:The Hot Rod Ford Model A or AV8 Coupe. Post war 40's build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Sep 4, 2010.

1. You guys know more than me.... that's all I'm saying.

2. So I "Borrowed":rolleyes: a complete front spring from my buddy J today. I'll try and get it in tomorrow.

Also does anyone know if the rear spring u bolts are different for 28-29 VS. 30-31.

thanks

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

should be the same as far as i know. but they might be different depending on model. i.e. truck vs. car vs. big truck, etc.

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Same.

5. ravedodger

ravedodger

Lookin' for the update.

6. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

Does it matter? Your building a hotrod.

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hitch, nice looking collection of parts you have to build your 40's era car. Make sure you get some weight on the chassis before you decide on dropping that axle! to me a car built in the 40's is more likely to have a reversed and flattened spring than a dropped axle. try to find someone with one you can borrow. There are threads on the hamb how to do it yourself as well. IMO the raked look was not popular until the 50's, 40's cars ran similar size tires and mostly stock axles! they sat high and proud!

8. Waiting on parts from the hot UPS lady.....

Does what matter? If you mean the parts being 28-29 vs 30-31 than yes on some it does matter.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was planning. Get some weight in it first....
    I do have a extra main leaf that i am going to reverse sometime in the near future.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  9. 510madmav

510madmav

they're the same

10. OK I'll bite!
    What was the mistery part?:confused:

11. I'm starting to re-think the whole pre-1950 time line thing.....I'm getting impatient...... I know I just need to hold out for the right parts.

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

A mirrorless rear view mirror bracketry.

Attached Files:

13. plan9

plan9

what parts are you looking for?

14. Mainly a Hudson steering box.

I should probably start looking at other choices. Maybe a 48 ford truck box....I haven't been looking hard, but I haven't found one of those either. I did find a 54 box, but I don't want the big arm.

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

When you figure out what type of box you'd like... post it up. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

16. Thanks, I will. Did you find your decklid?

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

YES! It should be on it's way. Needs some metalworking, but it's solid. I'm thinking that it needs to be used for duplication purposes. I think Chris, from SFSS may help me take that on... so maybe there'll be a possibility of some quality aftermarket decklid frames to come out of it.

18. TraderJack

TraderJack

Dago axles started in the 1940s, and all hotrods ran big and littles, and all you have to do is look at the pictures. I ran 6.00s and 7.50s front and rear.
    When I could afford it! 7.50 recaps cost a weeks salary for one tire in 1940.

traderjack

19. Awesome! Do it!

20. I'm biting the bullet, I'll take a 48 ford truck box.

21. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

so hows that "ratrod" your building coming along? :D

22. Nah dude. It's going to be a street rod. I've got some sweet Turbine wheels to put on it and I think I've picked out the right pastel pink and blue for the paint. I just need to get my digital dash and tweed interior picked out.

23. plan9

plan9

finding a 32-34 box would be easier.... once moving its not hard to maneuver a lightweight car.

i am using a 33/34 box in my A chassis with the model A sector shaft housing to mount it to the frame..... no machining BS.

same deal in the race car.... it has a 32 ford steering box.

24. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

hell yea man! Gonna wrap them suckers in lo-pro Radial T/As too?

That would be "dope!"

Ok, my brain hurts now :rolleyes:

25. Aren't those a gremmer I box? I'm looking for a gremmer II box....

26. White letter out of course.;)

27. plan9

plan9

no idea if there was a gemmer 1 or 2...
    its your choice, but why the fixation on a 34 hudson box...? its a rare bird, you could be waiting a long time.

some gutts of a 33/34 ford steering box interchange over a couple more years. just seems like a no brainer to me.

28. I guess I'm just weird.

Gemmer II boxes are worm and roller.....my understanding is they are far superior to the gemmer I boxes used by ford from 32-36.....

here is a little info on them

http://www.flatheadv8.org/rumblest/suspens.pdf

and my original post on hudson boxes

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469620

BTW it is 1937 Hudson ONLY. I'm probably going to "settle" for a 1948 ford truck box. which is also a gemmer II

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  29. plan9

plan9

i cant be 100% sure since i wasnt there, but id imagine machining down a hudson or F1 box for an AV8 would have been a stretch for most folks in 1946-49, 50, 51, 52.....

ive known about hudson boxes in relation to hotrods for awhile but they are scarce, not hens teeth but not easily obtained. what im trying to get at is that a 32-34 ford box in good working condition will operate very nicely under any condition... a huge plus is no machining involved, bolt in and go...same applies to model A boxes. add a steering dampener and you're off to the races. you can find them for about the same price as a good F1 box.

btw, im not trying to piss in your cheerios... "just talkin'" ;)

30. Appreciate the input. This is something that has been on my mind....