Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Hitchhikers Guide:The Hot Rod Ford Model A or AV8 Coupe. Post war 40's build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Sep 4, 2010.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

yeah, i haven't got that body anymore, so you can't trace mine.

this whole conversation lights off a pang of regret in the pit of my stomach for selling that body.

2. Maybe I just need to have my coffee....but i'm not sure how I would use the second piece of plywood. Do i just use it to establish the door size?
    Sorry to cause you any pain....if it makes you feel any better, you can come help me put this thing back together.:D

3. thanks Michelle!

4. NoSurf

NoSurf

you use a piece of plywood from A pillar across to other A pillar, trace the outside edge and inside edge of each pillar on one piece. That way your width is close at the top for attaching the roof. Same at the B pillar.

5. I got it. For some reason I was thinking a pillar to b pillar......see that coffee really helps.:D thanks again dude!

6. Keep up the good work and take it one day at a time. You'll get there.

7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Don't forget your towel, and DON'T PANIC!

8. the only thing I got done today is removing the upper passenger door frame from the windshield frame. PITA.:mad:

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good stuff Matt! Subscribed.

10. Thanks Rick! You need to post pictures of your project too.

11. Hey Hitchhiker,

In post #7, there's a rear spring assembly. Do you know what model Ford it came from?

Thanks.

12. It's model A or that's what it was sold to me as. It has nine leaves and the center bolt is bent. that makes it look funny.. Probably for a Tudor sedan. I'm going to loose some leaves...

13. RGG

RGG

Looking forward to additional posts. I am also about to start making some major changes to my Model A as well.

RGG

14. I was patient and able to piece together two 16x4 1/2 rear wheels and two 16x4 fronts for a decent deal...I got the last piece to the puzzle in the mail today.

[​IMG]

Also what does everyone think about Torque arm rear suspensions.?

15. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Subscribed. Look forward to future posts. Getting ready to build a '28 Roadster, and have to make some changes on my '30 Coupe. All good info.

16. I did the Torque arm thing on my T and am doing one on my A. ElPolackos stuff is the best, many ways to mimic his but none as strong or smooth, his "dogbone" makes it move freely, no bind.

17. Do you think a torque arm is mandatory with open drive and triangulated 36 rear bones? The guy I've been talking with to do the finish welding on my frame doesn't think so.He doesn't even want to help me build one. He says I won't make enough power to need it. But I'd rather be safe then sorry. I'm no engineer, but It really makes sense to me how it would be necessary. perhaps I should be looking for someone who is more receptive to how I want to build things?

18. Torque arm anyone?

19. You WILL need it at some time. The Torque tube you are replacing is a beefy member heheheeh! Plus, whats to say you don't end up dropping something bigger in it engine wise?

20. hotrodnewby

hotrodnewby

Subscribed. Post as many pics as possible. It helps us newbs out!

21. Thanks. I was pretty sure about that, but having another agree with me is good! Now I just need to convert engineering speak to welder speak so this old guy knows and understands why I want to do this....Or I should just by a bigger welder and do it myself.:D

22. So I got a decent set of front perches and some front and rear shackles today. I have a couple stupid questions.

1) should I go ahead and get new kingpins and bushings installed now? basically rebuild the front end? I wasn't planning on painting anything yet as I want to get it mocked then blow it back apart. But I guess I should also just make everything work properly so I am prepared for that first ride.:cool:

2) Is there anything specific I need to know about front or rear suspension assembly?

3) How many leaves and which ones do you think I should remove from my spring packs?

4) How do I take apart the springs? I'm kinda scared to hurt myself.:eek:

thanks for any help.
    I should be able to get this thing to roller status in the next couple days.:cool::D Yeah!

23. NoSurf

NoSurf

Keep at it.

24. NoSurf, Thanks dude!

25. RGG

RGG

Please take many pictures and post as you go.

Thanks.

RGG

26. anything specific that you want? I've already got a ton more pictures, They just aren't relevant....yet.

I'll be sure to share all the specifics and gory details as they pop up. If I can get the stuck perch out of the bones I have today, I'll be getting the front end in it tonight.

27. I signed up for the Gene Winfield class @ Gambino Customs on Dec. 18-19....Hopefully it helps me get a grip on things.

I was thinking If I had extra leaves I could cut them and shape and stack them to use as a spacer underneath the spring. I think Chris gave me that idea.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  28. Building hot rods is painful....:( My thumb hurts. luckily the insides stayed inside when I hit my thump with a hammer today.

29. NoSurf

NoSurf

That's what I did.

Haha- "Thump" !!! Is that what it's called after you hit it?

Be safe!