Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. How do I get the fan and pulley off of the waterpump?

2. Carter

Carter

Do you have the water pump off of the engine?

It is tapered and keyed.

If off of head/engine, I've had good luck setting the fan blades on my legs with the pump hanging down, loosen the nut until flush with the end of the shaft, and giving it a tap with a brass hammer.
    If it is a castellated nut, maybe remove it and spin it around or put a regular nut on there instead.

3. I've been trying that...but no dice.

4. So I got my head back from being machined. It looks great. I was bolting it back on today and the water neck broke...

And I still can't get the fan off the waterpump....

I feel like I never should have taken this thing apart.

Anyone local to Seattle have a good spare neck I could purchase asap?

Thanks for letting me vent.

5. Carter

Carter

Hey, bud, breaking water necks is pretty common. Welcome to the club. I've had good luck torqueing the head nuts in two steps and especially carefully on those two.

Do you have a bearing splitter or something similar to get on the back side of the fan pulley?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. Beware- 28-29 are shorter necks then 30-31. I do have a neat aluminum neck, must be aftermarket.

7. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

when i have things that won't move i take some candle wax or canning wax and heat it up a couple times and cool that pulls the wax in it seems to work for me. I seen where you ask on banger meeting how much you could take off the head and you never got a answer,other than take it to a machine shop, i got my head off also and was wondering how much. good luck with the fan..................Jack

8. Matt, pretty sure I've got some, but won't be back til Monday. Let me know if you don't find something in between.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X100 on the candle wax. Do it a couple times actually. I've even got some gennie A shocks apart this way. I do have 1 that won't budge but the rest gave up after candle wax and heat. Nothing else worked.

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hey Matt, I just found this thread and am now following it. It has been a while since we talked. Glad to see this project coming along so well. I'm sure by now you have the water neck problem solved but an old Model A trick is to put a paper matchstick in between the gasket and neck on the outside edge by the bolt hole. Then torque slowly. It works! Mike

11. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Matt, I went with the '32 lights on my '34 because I like the look and they are all red.

Attached Files:

12. So, I've pretty much just been driving this thing. I can hardly stand to take it apart for upgrades....

Regardless, I have purchased a nice original paint set of guide 682C's for the front and some 1937 ford car taillights for the rear, which I will need to make new stands for. I will probably throw the fronts on for now.

I have also ordered a reverse main leaf for the rear and will be playing with that, juice brakes and a dropped axle soon.

Here is a picture A hamber did in photoshop for me of what I hope to achieve.

[​IMG]

13. Bitchin! My Dad is gonna be selling that B engine soon if your still interested...

14. Yes! I called a while back, phone was off, didn't leave a message. Been so busy lately I haven't been able to get time to call him. though I have enough time for Hamb when doing paperwork or on hold;)

Where do I send the deposit?

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

16. That is THE stance

17. Agreed! Absolutely bitching stance.

Posted via telegraph.

18. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

19. Forddraggin

Forddraggin

Uhhh yea stance is everything! Looks killer

20. Thanks dude! I'm loving it too. Having a pickup has been great for hauling parts.

Thanks! hope I can achieve somewhat close. That big rear tire really helps fill the hole.

recognize those wheels? :cool:

thanks!

I should note that the rear wheels are now black too. I'll get some updated pictures on sunday at the early ford picnic.

21. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Why yes, as a matter of fact, I do recognize the wheels. I am glad to see they got a GOOD home.

22. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Yes more pictures please!!

23. Here you go....a couple from today. I swapped on the guide 682-c's and lost the bumper and tire carrier. Had lots of positive comments at the early ford picnic today. It's cool to have old dudes with really nice cars complement this old thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J.Ukrop likes this.
  24. mherman39

mherman39

Just delved into this thread today, that thing is sweet!

25. mherman39

mherman39

Forgive me for not reading all 8 pages here, maybe you've covered it but are you gonna change the stance?

26. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Looking Good, Matt

27. [​IMG]

it will look like this.

28. thanks Mike

29. I love the new lights!

30. thanks dude!