Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. I'm still gonna run the valves. My Master doesn't have residual pressure valves as far as I can tell from testing it. I ordered some From ECI. They are brass, and made in the USA.

In the mean time I have been messing with the engine. I've been fighting a few ignition system problems(stock model A) and overcame those today. It's firing and running a bit. But the stock zenith is leaking all over. I'll get a rebuild kit and get it in shape and we should have a runner.

Once I get the brakes to hold fluid and hopefully work, its on to finding out what else doesn't wanna behave. And if it all goes well. Test drive.

I'm so ready for this.

bct and waxhead like this.
  2. Well it ran last night, but stuck a valve. Its unstuck, but now I am waiting on another manifold gasket. I also got the brake residual valves, but need to remake some of the brake lines. Fingers crossed!

waxhead and RainierHooker like this.
  3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I expect to see this thing out in the wild when I get back home next year...

Hitchhiker likes this.
  4. It ran tonight! It needs a little tuning and I need to install the US made Brass residual pressure valves and bleed the brakes. Close.

Hotrodmyk, ClarkH, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  5. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Where did you find the US made brass residual pressure valve?

6. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Would be cool to see a video clip of it running :)

gwhite and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. Waiting with Waxhead for a video.....

8. Glad to see you back on it! I too am looking forward to a video :)

9. HELL YEAH!!!!!!
    Soon you'll be back in the saddle.

10. Go man! The drive is near!

11. www.ecihotrodbrakes.com

12. I'll see if I can figure that out. It's just a stock motor, so don't expect much.

13. I can almost taste it!

14. Is it greasy?:D

tomkelly88 likes this.
  15. greasy with a hint of metal shavings and a petrol finish.

16. So last night, I got it running and starting decently. I put the hood on and I put coolant in it and ran it long enough to get the engine paint to bake on. I double checked that the transmission and rear diff were filled with fluid, so I decided to put it in gear. It started making the most horrible noises. So I shut it down immediately. First thought was transmission... but Figured out pretty quick that it was the loose rear drums. I tightened them down, and that is where the problem arose....the drums contact the backing plates enough that they can't move. I've already taken a bit off of the drum and backing plate lips as described when juicing a model A. so I guess I need some axle shims. Anyways took the drums back off. and started it again and ran it thru the gears. No weird noises! Transmission seems to shift good. I'm amazed at how much better a 39 trans is than a stock model A. You can shift it so much quicker!

anyways, then I installed the brake valves and now I need a buddy to come help me bleed them and to figure out the drum clearance issue.

Flowmeister likes this.
  17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Bratton's # 6120 shims $1.95/pair.

We used to cut them from beer cans back in the day.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  18. Pictures

Attached Files:

Jeff34, Dannerr, redzula and 4 others like this.
  19. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That truck looks so killer!
    So, are these older pics or are these "I got the brake drum clearance sorted out and bleed the brakes and its now on the road" pics?

20. These are the I ordered shims and have done everything I can, so I threw the drums on loose and pushed it outside so I can sweep under it pictures.

21. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL. Well, it looks killer sitting there man. :) You will get there. I had the same issues with my drums. I machined them, took them home and tested, machined some more, and then again and it was finally clear. I wrote down somewhere the total that I machined off, along with a bunch of other specs and part numbers for future reference, but I cant find where I stashed it.

22. still no shims. Brakes are so-so. but getting there. I have to say I wish I had used DOT 5. Oh well lesson learned. Also does anyone have a source for the brake adjustment procedure? Maybe a scan from a factory manual I can print? I have the early fronts with adjustable lower anchorwith the dots and the rears are late with the fixed anchor. Thanks.
    TRUCK.jpg

23. Hmmm, so adjusting the lower anchor is doing nothing...following the directions I can't get the drum to spin after backing off the lower anchor. I'm also still fighting the brake hydraulics a bit. I was fighting leaks last night, I think I got those handled, but was still getting air when I quit bleeding it around midnight last night. I do have a pedal. Just not a good one.

Still waiting on shims, was hoping for today.

24. If it's any consolation, mine didn't adjust as the info said they would either.
    I have new drums and shoes and the arch matches .
    The bottom adjusters wouldn't even go to where they said to start at.
    The frustration factor was high.
    I set them where they would allow the wheel to turn

25. My left front wheel cylinder started leaking tonight while bleeding the brakes. :(:mad:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  26. At the advice of @Chris I took the wheel cylinder apart, cleaned it, cleaned up some very light scuff marks and put it back together. I'll try and bleed it tomorrow. Also got the shims and installed them.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  27. little pick up is looking great !

28. We seem to have brakes. I just double checked everything is right, I've greased all the chassis, I'm about to grease the u joint and throw on the wheels and align it.

Hotrodmyk likes this.