Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hitchhikers Guide Episode VI: Return of the Hitchhiker.... Hot Rod Model A banger

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2013.

1. What hand made thing are you talking about?

2. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yeah, what did he make???

3. Well, after hours of messing with the passenger perch bushing it finally unglued its self. After that the drivers side took an additional 10 minutes to pop off the drum and backing plate and drive out the bushing. Unfortunatly the ebrake was rubbing on the inside of the brake drum. So I have some more fixing to do.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Roller again. Reverse eye main leaf. From 10 to 6 leaves...we'll try this out.

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  5. Better side profile. Now I need to do something with the front. I'm considering a 32-36 axle and 17 inch front tires and wheels with mechanicals. Or maybe a dropped 36 axle with the same size tire, but solid steel wheels and juice brakes. Thoughts?

Damn it the app wont upload my photo!

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Looking good, now get that thing back on the road...

Keep the wires!

7. Carter

Carter

I vote for 32-6 axle and 17" wires with mechanicals. You could upgrade to 32-4 12" front brakes.

8. Here is that picture.

Attached Files:

9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yeah, the back looks good, fills up the fender perfectly. I'd say drop the front and keep the wires and tires in the pic. Cool truck!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  10. Wires are a possibility.

This is the way I am leaning, But I already have a dropped 33-36 axle and all the brake stuff, which would make that route financially more attractive at this moment, but I can also use those on the next project.

thanks!

11. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

You could always do the juice brakes with wires. Just need to have some adapters made to mount the wires to the newer hubs. Should be no problem, and it'll still look as good as it does now.

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

12. I think the bigger question is whether to use a dropped axle or not.

13. The answer is Yes!

14. You could throw a cougar through that gap between the top of the tire and the fender..............drop it!

15. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

yeah man throw a dropped 32-36 axle under there the front has to go down a ways I would keep those wires on there they look too cool

16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Now that I have got to see....

17. I'm really just struggling with "how much?"

Do I slam it with the drop axle I have..

Or

Do I do a stock 32-36 which I believe is 1 1/2 inches lower VS a stock A axle and the a 5.50x17

I think I am going with option #1 and will do option #2 with a different car.

18. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Maybe a three inch dropped 32-36 would work well then overall you would get 4 1/2 inches dropped

19. Carter

Carter

I'm sure it's in the thread somewhere, but what is your front spring? Already reverse eye? Leaves out?

Keep in mind that the dropped axle means a lot more work in other places. Steering arms will need modified, mechanical brakes will be more difficult to make work, then if you do go juice, then there is adapting that stuff to your spindles or going to later spindles which changes the steering arm situation. Then there is mounting a master cylinder and making it work properly.

I still say 32-6 axle, 32-4 spindles, brakes, and perch bolts with A kingpins and actuators. Simple spacers at the perch boss and that's it.

It just depends on how deep you want to dive into it.

EDIT: I remember you asking about what you should or shouldn't do to the truck because you didn't want to do anything that couldn't be undone. Not sure if you still feel the same, but I'd say going to juice brakes is likely going to require modifications that will be harder to undo.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  20. You want a similar look in front to what you've achieved in the rear, fender to tire wise. Fit the 17s and see how much space you have to deal with. If it's the 1.5" you expect from the later axle then it's good to go, otherwise plan an appropriate drop to an axle/spring.

21. this is seriously a bolt in deal and aside from the spacer is all ford parts.
    i have done it three time now and its super simple
    it lowered my car 4-5 inches
    tk

22. The front spring is already reversed. I was thinking of pulling a couple front leaves as well.. I have this axle along with spindles and everything else needed. I even have another A wishbone and perches. So theoretically I could swap fronts easily. I know that clings makes an adapter for a master Cylinder and battery box that doesn't alter the car, so it is possible.

Attached Files:

23. I guess my whole concern is that super slammed, I feel makes the bed look odd and to long.

But I also have all the parts I need for the drop axle. Nothing for the other stuff. I'll make a decision soon. Whatever I do, I want to fin8sh it now, so I dont have to take it apart again.

24. So I am guesstimating that a 5.50x17 is around 29 inches tall. Which is close to the size of a 6.50x16 I have here. So I tried that on. Even with a 32-36 axle. It still doesn't get it anywhere close to the fender. I'm just going to drop it with what I have.

Photoshop end goal. I actually don't think it will be that low in front and the rear is a little lower, so hopefully it will have a little less rake.

[​IMG]

25. My 550 17's are closer to 28.5 if that helps

26. Yeah, just reaffirms my decision to drop it.

27. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

On my pickup I started with a 4 inch drop axle reverse eye spring and 26 1/2 dia tyres
    looked really cool but the banger sump pan was so low I eventually ripped out the sump plug on a speed bump
    So now run 27 inch tyres and springs with standard eyes
    so just watch ground to sump clearance
    Colin

28. I be intrested to see what you come up with. Cool truck.

29. Mart

Mart

Ok, here's how I think it works. A 6.00 tyre is 6 inches tall from the rim to the tread. A 7.50 is 7.5 inches and so on. So just double the tyre size, add the rim diameter and that will give you a rough guide to the diameter.

For example a 7.50:16 will be 2 x 7.5, which equals 15, add the 16 (rim diameter) and the overall size is 31" diameter.

A 6.00:16 would be 2 x 6 = 12, plus 16 equals 28" diameter.

Nice build by the way.

Mart.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
    brEad likes this.
  30. Thanks! Will do.

Thanks

Thanks! That really helps. Checking all my different tires I think you are correct.