Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    Riverside Drive looking east from Glendale Bl.. Nice long straight street, perfect for a drag race. believe me there were many a drag race here. This would be the finish/shut off area. Officers Of The Law would block off the other end at Fletcher Dr. and this end then write everyone in between. No side street to escape on. There is a Stop sign now in the middle if I remember right.

2. big creep

big creep

my buddy bob bistagne and his brother would race here. doesn't happen anymore, but great story. any of you older cats guys race here?

3. 15ASedan

15ASedan

November 1990
    18300 S. Vermont Gardena, CA
    "Where the Harbor, San Diego, & 91 Freeways meet."
    [​IMG]

4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

HA...when the cops were here we'd go to Forest Lawn Drive and visa versa...
    there were times when they would just go away and look the other way, same down on Crenshaw Blvd.

5. big creep

big creep

man how times have changed!

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

A big difference between the 60's and the kids with the imports street racing today is back in the 60's, two guys would challenge eachother, pick a location and most of the time, just those two cars and no more than 2 or 3 of the friends cars would tag along. We'd stop get someone to flag us off and then not return again. We would have a place to meetup after the race and have a "soda" together. That would be it. Go. Race. Vanish.
    The import kids congregate in the middle of the night in the industrial areas and sometimes draw a couple of hundred people and they'll have dozens of races.
    Shit, no wonder they get caught and have their cars impounded and some cars are even sent to the crusher.
    It's not a party. It's a street race. Big difference.
    As dumb as we were, we weren't completely stupid :)rolleyes:)

Another place to race was way out in Cucamunga/Fontana in the grape vineyards along Highland or Baseline. There wasn't squat there back then.

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

There was a aritcle in "Car Kulture Deluxe" magazine a couple of issues back about someones experience on Riverside. It was a interesting read:D:D

8. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

1961, 2, 3, 4, and 5 is my experience. Riverside was convienent to Van de Kamps drive in and Bob's Glendale. If it was watched then the Rt. 2 freeway, which was under construction and little used late at night, was next. Other places were Forrest Lawn Dr., Silver Lake Bl. by the lake and believe it or not the 134 freeway where it begins from the 5. Mid-Night there was little traffic so it was pretty easy to stop and run a 1/4. Today is a different story, even 4 in the morning there are cars now.

9. big creep

big creep

so crazy to hear about what you guys did where i grew up! i didnt race in high school cause we was poor folk! no car till after high school. and even then, my car was too much of a hunk of shit! not cool at all. just a different time then! way cool! thanks for sharing guys!!!

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope this isn't too much of a stretch here, but I found this photo set of an all-day beach outing of a group of Glendale college kids, 1947 style. It's a great snapshot into the culture of 18-22 year-olds in April, 1947.
    No story in words, only in pictures. Left campus as a group, spent all day at the beach, had the use of somebody's beach house, then back to campus or someplace else for a dance.

Balboa Beach Party (Glendale College And Calif. Misc.) 1947

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Balboa Beach Party 1947

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Check out all the cigarettes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Balboa Beach Party 1947

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More than likely, the dance was somewhere there near Balboa Beach, what with the arcade and all.

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No doubt one of MM's divorce proceedings.

Photograph<WBR>ers Awaiting Marilyn Monroe Press Conference

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Forest Lawn Cemetery. 1943

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Spruce Goose 1947

[​IMG]
    Howard R. Hughes 1947

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could be you, Doug.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Barry's Jewelry store was having an anniversary sale. Barry was obviously a good marketer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Barry'S Jewery Store Sale Glendale, California 1947

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does he tote his amps and gear around in that thing? Awful little doors. Maybe he smuggles in Cubans.

20. big creep

big creep

real small amp and speakers! but a lot of them hahahaha! this was at the peterson.

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

22. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

ggg living in Riverside we went to the vinyards many times it was an excellent place to race, could see all around for long distances and was usually no traffic with few side streets. Last street race i witnessed there was in '64 after i got out of the navy. Last race of an era, 57 Tbird against a local bad ass flathead T roadster. the Tbird had a big FE motor and Ray Bocce,s T was a 304" full house flatty. The T was leading but the the bird got him on top end. I was looking around the area after they went by, it was a pitch black nite but i noticed the lite of a cigarette near an old shack nearby. then i saw this flash and then the familiar blast of a 12 ga. shotgun! it was 5 guys trying to get in a 57 chevy 2dr on one side, like trying to get 10 pounds of 'stuff' in a 5 pound bag. It all comes back now after reading this. gggg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  23. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    Christmas Decorations Downtown

24. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    Horses still on the street. Look close and you can see a guy with a broom cleaning up after them

25. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

thats one smelly broom

26. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

Nope. That's a Douglas Skyraider, looks like the EA-1F variant. Also known as Able Dog, Spad, Sandy and Flying Dump Truck among others. A damn fine airplane.

Kurt O.

27. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    The black building was the Atlantic Richfield Building.It was torn down to build the Arco Towers. It was a beautiful Art Deco build. that should have been saved.

28. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG][/
    The third Navy ship to be named USS Los Angeles was a WW2 Heavy Cruiser. Decommissioned and later scraped all that remains is anchor, bow, 1 barrel and other misc. artifacts at the city museum in San Pedro.

29. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    The second ship to bare the USS Los Angeles name was an airship. A Zepplin made in Germany after WW1 as war reparations to the U.S..

30. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

[​IMG]
    The 4th and last USS Los Angeles was recently decommissioned it is a nuclear submarine.
    The 1st USS L.A. was a WW1 tanker but I was unable to locate a photo.