Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. 296ardun

296ardun

and after the street cars got retired, you made rental cottages out of them, ($30/month), Los Angeles, location unknown, 1941
    [​IMG]

2. 296ardun

296ardun

Culver City Speedway, 1927 (according to the caption, this was the second location of the Beverly Hills Speedway, moved a year before)

[​IMG]

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  3. 296ardun

296ardun

Harry Miller's shop, 1929

[​IMG]

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Me too, on Highland Ave. (1973-1992) two street north of this photo location
    Moved down a few streets to Ramona Ave. (1992-now) two streets south
    ===============

5. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Yes, about four minutes of that film was shot here in town.
    We're the only city in Los Angeles County without traffic lights.

6. 296ardun

296ardun

and, speaking of Sierra Madre, this is a 1941 shot of the famous wisteria vine, growing above all those 40's dressed people, according the Guiness Book of Records, it was the largest wisteria vine in the world (lived in Sierra Madre for 4 years, but missed the visteria vine)

[​IMG]

7. 296ardun

296ardun

just captioned "driving, Sierra Madre, 1938" maybe Baldwin Ave (named after Lucky Baldwin!!) not much of a stop sign, but, in 1938, probably not much traffic

[​IMG]

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

What's the deal with the split of the partners??? It's not ever mentioned or even in the In-N-Out book???? Not even in the Huel Howser coverage of the company.

I was always wondering why San Gabriel didn't have an In-N-Out, and why the closest one was in Rosemead. In 1997 the openned an indoor one in Alhambra @ the Former 2EE's Drive-In parking lot, Two Heys has been a walk-in since 1978. They dozed it the drive-in spring of 77.

I was always wondering why Bob's Beef Burger was so much like In-N-Out... Because it was!!!! Now In-N-Out is duplicating their original location on the northside of the 10 fwy on Francisquito Bl. It looks just like Bob's Beef Burger!;)

Time to set history straight, lets get the info down. :D:D:D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  9. OLLIN

OLLIN

Wow! thats cool. I know a guy who grew up in a Red car that his grandpa converted to a house.

Its been crazy here around west LA. They are blocking/tearing up the streets and spending millions of taxpayers $$$ to put back in the tracks that we used to already have!!!!

10. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Contact the Orange Empire Railway Museum over in Perris; somebody there will know for sure. Several of their vintage trolley cars were used as houses here and there in the Southland.

11. OLLIN

OLLIN

Very cool thanks, Ill definitely have to go check that place out!

12. thebookmaker61

thebookmaker61

<TABLE id=post8815080 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175></TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" id=td_post_8815080 class=alt1><!-- icon and title -->[​IMG] Re: The History Of Los Angeles
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Saxman [​IMG]
    The Encell's Garage that my family knew must have been the predecessor of this business. My Dad (who would be 105 years old if he were still alive) and my older brother (81 y.o. - 30 years my senior) only referred to it as Encell's Garage with never a mention of an Auto Parts business. They would have known Encell's Garage in the 1920's, 30's, and 40's. I believe that my dad worked there some time in the late 20's and he spoke of it often. I also believe that the garage was on Central ave so if I were to guess, I would say that it's possible that it is the same location as the later Encell's Auto Parts. I'll ask my brother about it when I talk to him.

A little research online shows me that there was a Chester "Chet" Encell in the 1920 census in Los Angeles. His occupation is listed as a machinist and garage owner. He died in 1947 in a car accident in Orange County. This must have been the Encell that my dad and brother knew. I suspect that the Encell's Auto Parts is a later incarnation of the same business. Maybe a son of Chet?

I would love to see a pic of Encell's Garage on the 20's or 30's if anyone ever runs across one.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Chet Encell was my great great grandfather...It started as a garage and parts house at 729 Central around 1919...In about 1938 the drive thru 24 hour parts warehouse was opened at newly built building at 733 S Central where WE NEVER CLOSE was true till mid 80s and we finally closed for good when my one uncle John Encell died in 1990s forcing a 10 year litigation of the buildings owned between 7th and 8th on Central...At one time we had traffic backed up 3 blocks waiting to drive thru at all hours of day and night. My great grandfather held alot of Japanese friends homes, business', and valuables for them when they were interned during WWII...We had a great life thanks to all the wonderful people in Los Angeles...I have lots of photos via my mom Mary Encell Brown...Chan Brown
    <!-- / message --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

We still have a huge festival every March and people come from hundreds of miles to see the vine. It is (or was) the world's largest blooming plant. It was first planted in the 1890's and got so big it collapsed the house it was climbing on.

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The trolley track is Central Ave., later changed it's name to Sierra Madre Ave.
    That street with the car is Sunnyside Ave, just a few blocks from my house today. I've been here 40 years this June.

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

where exactly is it anyways. SoCal, born and raised, and never knew of the vine until now. As far as the trolleys go, my Mom always talks about riding them in the 30s and 40s. She said on the small ones, you could flip the seat.

16. 296ardun

296ardun

Thanks, I knew that if anyone would recognize it, you would...was in Sierra Madre a couple of years ago -- has not changed that much at least since the '70s, still miss living there...

17. 296ardun

296ardun

More Culver City speedway, 1927 (this and the others I cribbed from the LA Public Library collection)

[​IMG]

Nobey likes this.
  18. 296ardun

296ardun

More Culver City speedway, 1927:

[​IMG]

Nobey likes this.
  19. 296ardun

296ardun

...and even more Culver City, 1927 (had no idea it was this big!)

[​IMG]

Nobey likes this.
  20. 296ardun

296ardun

Captioned "Beverly Speedway, 1921"...some pretty crude airbrushing, but still a great photo:

[​IMG]

Nobey likes this.
  21. 296ardun

296ardun

last one: Culver Speedway...someone might know how many tons of lumber it took to build one of these board tracks...I seem to remember that when one caught fire after it had been abandoned, it burned for days...

[​IMG]

Nobey likes this.
  22. flyin-t

flyin-t

[​IMG]

Can you go to the same location and take a pic so we can compare the 2?

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I'll get a better shot than this, but the camera is looking up Sunnyside. That building in the background of my fire engine would be on the left of the old car in the black &white photo. This is the staging area for our annual 4th of July Parade.

[​IMG]

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

here ya go

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  25. flyin-t

flyin-t

Thanks!

Looks like only the mountains and the fire hydrant remain.

26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

seems like that one tree is still there on the right side just in front of the white car. Looks like the one in the old photo.

27. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

Same here. I moved to Orange County in the late 70s and then Napa five years ago.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Nice reference shots, Sir. :cool:

Our Fourth of July parade'll be coming up again before you know it. :D

29. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Doug

Like you i lived east of L.A. but in El Sereno from 41' to 56' then Dad moved us out here to the S.F.V. in Granada Hills and been here ever since.

Growing up in El Sereno was a great time as the schools were all right next to each other and going to Wilson High , we had a park next to the school with a big pool - movie theater on Hungington Drive.

Too bad we had to move as it was just a great place to grow up with the city just 5 miles away, like you said for Christmas time etc.

Also i do remember the beer stink from the Brew 102 plant next to the fwy

This is such a great thread for us grey hairs that have seen it change, sure does bring back great memories

I'am at page 86' right now and what neat stuff to see , just read about Gas Ronda and have a story about him for a later post

Thanks to the posters, Don

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  30. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Where is El Sereno?