Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Hemi Valve Cover Gallery- Post pics here

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 1, 2006.

1. crider

crider

Thanks desoto. The pair I have a perfectly straight, only needing the wire cover tabs removed. I'll leave the paint on them. Any good suggestions on a plater to send them to?

2. CRIDER - Not in your neighborhood...

3. crider

crider

I know what ya mean. There is nothing in my neghiborhood. I really hat ebeing in the middle of knowhere at times.

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  4. You should leave the wire cover tabs on the covers and run the covers as the covers hold down the washers that squeeze the rubber seals against the spark plug tubes and into the valve covers.

If you don't run the covers, oil seeps out around the spark plug tubes because there's nothing to hold the rubber seals tight against the covers and tubes.

Of course, you could have aluminum washers TIG welded onto the tunes but they sometimes crack the tops of the tubes when you do that.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Skip...how does a stock 426 cover/plug/wire solve this as compared to a early hemi?.....The 63/64 426 hemis(and up) have no wire covers and i wonder how they solved this issue as compared to the early hemis?

6. The later, 426 Hemis, have Factory designed plug tube covers that eliminate the need for plug wire covers. HH sells them that are designed to fit the early Hemis and eliminate the wire covers...

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

345/...I have those and they still weep...:confused:

8. A small amount of judiciously placed black silicone sealant should do the trick...

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks 345..I will give it a whirl!

10. Kool30Hudson

Kool30Hudson

I hope these are acceptable ???

Attached Files:

slayer likes this.
  11. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid">[​IMG] [​IMG] </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] <!-- / controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- post 3505280 popup menu -->
    <TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>Ok, so 1958 Imperialwith solid cam and adjustable rockers are not rare? thats the 300D right?
    618 hard tops & 191 conv. =809 pairs 1618 covers.
    Is this info correct? sounds rare to me

I want to see some more pics of them puppies

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option></TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option></TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option></TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option></TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option></TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- / post 3505280 popup menu -->[/QUOTE]

No, the '58 Imperial was not a 300-D. the 300D body used the Imperial sheet metal but the engine was 300-D-specific and had the solid lifter camshaft with the required, dimpled, valve covers. All '57 and '58 Imperial engines had a single 4bbl carb and hydraulic lifter camshafts. Only the '58 engines bore the "Imperial" covers. '57 engines had "FirePower covers. The only similarity between the 300-D engine and the Imperial engine is that they were both 392 cubic inch engines.

As far as I know, all '58 blocks were left-over '57 (seasoned) blocks. No blocks were cast for the '58 carlines.

12. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Here's my Candy Orange "prisma metalflake" '58 392 HEMI with polished Moon valve covers... Damn, are they pretty or what!!

Attached Files:

slayer likes this.
  13. The plug tube seals, themselves, are a totally different design and are held in place by the spark plug tubes. In addition, the plug wire boots have a large umbrella shaped end that snaps over the end of the tube to keep foreign material out of the spark plug tubes. This umbrella cover, while not snapping over the smaller '51-'58 tubes, still does a good job of keeping water, stones and other road grime out of the tubes on the earlier engines providing the umbrellas fit tightly against the valve cover.

14. burt21

burt21

these are my flyrights not too bad a lookin

15. jrstockwagon

jrstockwagon

here are mine. i got them signed by don garlits and don prudhomme. i gave one to my dad and hung the other one on the wall in our spare bedroom.

Attached Files:

slayer likes this.
  16. krooser

krooser

The one's on my 354...

[​IMG]

17. titus

titus

fresh from the platers

jeff

Attached Files:

slayer likes this.
  18. 392sniffin6

392sniffin6

Here is pair that have not yet seen posted.. Full Fin Magnesium MT's w/o name bosses. Shown with an NOS Weiand WC3D another rarity.

[​IMG]

19. Now those are some rare covers . . . really like them. I have a mint set of aluminum ones with breathers . . . gotta love early M/T stuff!

20. PAW finned numbers crinkled powder coated and then sanded the paint off of the fins...
    [​IMG]

21. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I have a set of 1952 "chrysler fire power" valve covers. Right now they're in a silver patina state. I'm trying to find out if the script portion of the valve cover was a different color. I have heard that the "chrysler " was in black and the " fire power" was in red. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks.

22. aircoup

aircoup

show me some POWERGIANT354 covers

23. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

1954 241 Dodge Red Ram Hemi 426 Spark Plug Boots
    [​IMG]

slayer likes this.
  24. Heres a set I recently picked up off CL They a magnesium but I need the small breathers for them because somebody had drilled them already.
    Joe
    [​IMG]

25. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Indy Hemi

Attached Files:

slayer likes this.
  26. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

very nice stuff, I like the moon breathers just the right size & angle

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any chance anyone has more pictures of engine #1 in this picture:

[​IMG]

28. @scootermcrad ... found a little higher rez version of the same pic:

[​IMG]
    An early A311-3 engine with four single-throat carburetors on a log-type manifold such as used in the 1952
    Cunningham C2R road racing car. The engine produced over 300 hp. Chrysler Engineering VP James Zeder
    described this engine in an October 1952 Society of Automotive Engineers paper.

... I'll keep looking (online & in my library of HEMI books)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
  29. Looks like the engine in pic #4 is running a set of Milodon "mousetrap" rev kit springs, judging by the dimples out over the valve stems.

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Scoot...I have the full article on that engine in a 1952 r/t magazine.....its very old and butcherd..but i may be able to scan if needed