Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Heirloom Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cactus1, Jul 6, 2015.

1. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

Much better :)

cactus1 likes this.
  2. Whoa! Looks great! I need to get crack-a-lackin'. Thanks for the photoshop drop!!!

3. cmarcus

cmarcus

You bet man!! We all need that a visual inspiration to keep us motivated :) Keep up the killer work brother.

cactus1 likes this.
  4. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

those caps gave it the zazz. really cool story and car!

cactus1 likes this.
  5. Ghost28

Ghost28

Nice car Mike. I hadn't seen this thread before today.
    John

cactus1 likes this.
  6. Thanks John! And nice seeing you last weekend at the Hill climb!

7. I haven't had a lot of time with the Merc with other obligations taking precedence. I did manage to gum up the carb again so it came back apart for a cleaning. I think I finally have the fuel issues sorted though I still may drop the tank over the winter and have it boiled out.

[​IMG]

Also, had a visitor this weekend who brought some parts for another project I'm working on. Thanks again Kevin. The truck looks great!

[​IMG]

Okie Pete and flatout51 like this.
  8. flatout51

flatout51

You plan on driving the Merc to the Hot Rod Hill Climb next year?

9. Maybe? At this point I'd be happy to drive it further than around the block, ha!

10. flatout51

flatout51

Coffee run on the 8th. Blip Roasters in the west bottoms.

11. Cool. I'm going to try to get it tagged this week so maybe I can roll out. Thanks for the heads up!

12. Here is another small update on the old merc. I was having trouble keeping the Lincoln caps on even just riding around the block. I did a little fussing with them but still not working so I grabbed this set of Packard covers that popped up on the Hamb for sale. [​IMG]
    They have a bit of a nautical theme which reminds me of my wife as she has always fancied herself a bit of a salty sea dog since we met! She digs the caps a lot.

Another milestone is that she is finally transferred over and tagged for the road. Whoop whoop!
    [​IMG]
    Since it's finally leagal I decided to run my Saturday errands in the old girl and well that didn't go so well :oops:. She didn't want to start after getting gas. It's 6v still and turning over slowly when hot. I think I have a combination heat soak/ vapor lock condition as the battery seems to be up to snuff when checked out.

Also, that damn clicky OD cable is annoying. I took a little slack out of the cable but it has not cured the condition. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed!

I did manage to grab this shot down the road though.

[​IMG]

13. JeffCTN

JeffCTN

Man, that's awesome. You have the opportunity most car guys dream of! Keep it up.

cactus1 likes this.
  14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Great car.Great back story.Keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

cactus1 likes this.
  15. NoSurf

NoSurf

Sweet!!!!

cactus1 likes this.
  16. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

That is one fine-ass car. nuff said.

cactus1 likes this.
  17. Thanks Brad!

Not much happening with the ol' girl this winter but we did take her on a short jaunt last weekend.

[​IMG]

18. I'm still chasing problems here and there. I've been trying to at least start her every couple of weeks which seems to be going well. I had to replace a couple of fuel lines as it was sucking air and losing prime.

I was hoping to drive it to the hamb drags last weekend but it kind of snuck up on me so that didn't happen. I didn't want to take the chance on being the one who screwed up the trip, ha! Good thing too because I took it out for a drive tonight and came home on the tow truck :oops:.

I don't think it's charging. I got it jumped but then couldn't get it in reverse to get out of the spot that I was in.

It's still making that clicking noise and frankly I'm at a loss as to what it could be? I did discover tonight that it goes away when I depress the clutch (at speed) and will return when I let it back out. I'm convinced it has something to do with the OD still but I don't know anything about them. If anyone has any insights please speak up! I may start a dedicated thread to that effect. image.jpeg

flatout51 likes this.
  19. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man love that Merc one of these days I finish my chevy coupe I will get me mercury and you know the rest ! good luck

20. Thanks Terry! Get on it!

Here's a bump for the lunch crowd in case anyone has any OD insights?

21. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

"It's still making that clicking noise and frankly I'm at a loss as to what it could be? I did discover tonight that it goes away when I depress the clutch (at speed) and will return when I let it back out."

-Sounds like a T/O bearing to me...

Beautiful car and great story by the way!

22. flatout51

flatout51

Throw out that OD and join the cool kids in the slow lane!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. You know, that never even occurred to me? Shit. And thanks!

Ha! I'm so slow I'm stationary?

flatout51 likes this.
  24. flatout51

flatout51

Show off

Sent from my SM-N900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app