Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Heirloom Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cactus1, Jul 6, 2015.

1. flatout51

flatout51

Damn dude!! This car rules! I've always wanted a 55-56 merc 4 door!

2. Thanks! I thought it classed it up a bit :).

Get one man!

3. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Then you would fit into the club!

cactus1 likes this.
  4. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

If you take the speedo cable out of the housing, clean the housing and lube the cable, the clicking might go away

5. It's amazing. How could you possibly leave that car sit all those years??

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool car and story, Mike --- great to see you have it running and (kind of) driving again!!

7. That's what I'm hoping!

Short answer? Life! Went to college, got married, bought a house, etc. I had no place to keep it inside at our old house. Next thing you know it's 20 years later! Oh and this...

image.jpg
    Now, with the purchase of the farm and trying to move my mother out of the house and downsize, it is the perfect time.

Thanks Nick! I may try to bring it to the drags if I can get it sorted in time???

8. ^^^ OH, that's just sad

9. Dad was a bit of a "collector" in his later years??? :rolleyes:

10. Cactus, I understand life happening, believe me. As "car guys" you never intend to let something like that Merc "sit". A week becomes a month and on she rolls....
    I guess I over simplified your life and past. Congratulations on getting your car rolling. Drive the wheels off of it!

Model T1 and Texas57 like this.
  11. Thanks man. That's the plan!!:)

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That car looks so nice I have a hard time believing it's really the same car under that pile of stuff! Keep cutting laps around the house and get that shitty has gone and I bet it gets better every lap

cactus1 likes this.
  13. Awesome car and awesome story!

cactus1 likes this.
  14. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Nice car love your story and your just drive the wheels of it you will have fun LOVE THAT CAR Rog

cactus1 likes this.
  15. Well, I managed to get the carb adjusted so now it doesn't die off idle so that's a plus, ha! I took her around the block and onto the highway near the ranch and got her up to about 70mph. The OD seems to work and she goes down the road straight so that's good. I dolled up a keychain for her. I try to keep them color coded for easy identification...:)
    image.jpg
    Needs a little touch up work :oops: but you get the idea!

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Figure out your mystery noise?

17. Not entirely? I think it's partly the Overdrive as I can mess with the cable and change the sound a bit. Although, I still think the speedo is involved somewhat as well.

18. NoSurf

NoSurf

Looks great Mike!

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I thought it may be the od solenoid, more fun to sort it out driving it than in the yard either way :)

20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

does the O/D work?

21. Thanks Jay!

Much more fun. It almost has a "baseball card in the spokes" sound which pointed me toward the OD and the speedo. The speedo doesn't bounce or anything though so???

It seems to for the brief time I had it up to speed? I'm not completely clear on how it is suppose to work though? It was always "on" in my '54 and I just let off the gas and back on when I got up to speed on the highway.

22. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

once you push in the cable (pulled out is off) it's up to the gov, relay and solenoid.
    you bring it up to anything over 30mph and the relay closes the circut via the relay... that engages the solenoid and will shift.

So bring it up to speed... let off on the gas and it should shift.

You can run a jumper wire from the relay... essentially all you do is ground it out and it will engage the solenoid this will tell you if the gov is malfunctioning.... and might help if the solenoid is sticky.

I did that with mine and I had to manually jump it about ten times before the solenoid would do it on its own.... just needed some use.

remember if the cable is pushed in it'll free-wheel and roll down a hill... so pull the cable every time you park to take it out of O/D. :)

Model T1 likes this.
  23. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

I have the same sound in my shoebox but only when i have my od cable out so not in od when i push in the cable for activate the sound stop but it will never freewheel or engage od so i think something is wrong with my freewheel? Maybe same for you. Have tried everything with my od all electrics work and i have flusched the od unit with ATF oil if the freewheeling is stock but nothing helped and have driven a long time with this so i guess s teardown is nessesary. Love your merc and story about it!!

24. Ah! Ok, thanks for the lesson and the heads up about the parking!

Thanks man! I hope we both get our overdrives sorted out!

25. posdriftin

posdriftin

thats coming along great. makes me want to go work on my mine.

cactus1 likes this.
  26. Beautiful merc, excellent colour choice for the wheels

Any updates?

27. Thanks man! Not really? I'm experimenting with hubcaps and I need to order some springs and blocks to lower it but I've been busy trying to get my truck ready for the Hot Rod Hill Climb in a couple of weeks. I would like to take the Merc but I don't know enough about her yet to take on the 1200 miles to/from Colorado. Maybe next year? :)

Anyway, here is a '49-'50 Lincoln cap I'm trying. I bought a set of later Lincoln caps that should arrive next week.

[​IMG]

Model T1 and soddruntlestuntle like this.
  28. The Lincoln hubcaps are very stylish and unusual. They fit your car very well.
    I wonder why people so often use 57 Cadillac hubcaps on Mercs/customs when there are so many rare hupcaps that look much better and classier.

Model T1 likes this.
  29. I'm not sure? I have a nice set of Caddy Sombreros I had planned on adapting but the merc wheels are too shallow and they wouldn't let the caps sit flush. Plus, they are so big that they covered the gold on the rim. image.jpg

Model T1 likes this.
  30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Don't dig the Lincoln's, they make the tires look like balloons :/