Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs the hardest part is finding the parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59 brook, Jun 30, 2014.

1. 59 brook

59 brook

ok so the insurance company cut a check and now we just have to find the parts.1959 4 door chevy wagon needs driver's side rear door and 1/4 panel . as always your help is appreciated

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Is a regular 4dr sedan rear door the same?? Also could you cut out the part of the rear quarter from same 4dr sedan?? 4dr sedan has got to be easier to find than a wagon...

3. alchemy

alchemy

You took a check BEFORE you found the parts? What if the check doesn't cover the costs?

4. 59 brook

59 brook

as a last resort yes but the wagon seems to be exclusive to the wagon

5. 59 brook

59 brook

no the adjuster said this is just to get the ball rolling ,once the parts are located he will work with the repair shop . he acknowledged at this point his estimate is low but there is no book or parts easily available . for instance he called me saturday after looking at the car and said he found a 1/4 on rock auto. once we started talking and i explained that every other patch panel says it fits everything including the el camino but not the wagon he readily acknowledged that there would be some custom work invovlved at an additional cost

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Can that quarter not be repaired?
    [​IMG]

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

must be worse than the photo shows if you will be changing out the quarter panel.

8. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I would rather fix it then replace it. I have seen some pretty wrecked stuff get fixed. Look at some of the talent on the HAMB, maybe contact one of them to fix it.

9. I'm going to the swap meet in Fletcher,North Carolina this weekend,I'll ask around and if I find anything I'll get a number for you.

Could you take a photo of what it looks like now without the other car in the way? HRP

10. Buddy up here will sell you a whole parts car for $1000 or so. I don't know how rotty it's going to be underneath. But it's a wagon.

11. King Karl

King Karl
    from N.C.

How the hell did that jerk off manage that one? Looks as if they tried to broad slide it in the spot beside you and over shot.
    Good luck with the repairs.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Happened last week,check out the thread below. HRP

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/oh-the-agony.928667/

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'd get that Jeep's license number...

14. Mike,as the story goes the jeep owner was also a victim,,someone hit him and pushed him into the wagon. HRP

15. Muttley

Muttley

I'd PM Jim Sibley and see if he's interested in a working vacation in Hollywood Florida.

16. 59 brook

59 brook

adjuster had suggested to pull as much as possible to straighten the 1/4 and then he suggested a lower repair panel but i'm not having much luck nor did the adjuster in finding a wagon 1/4 panel patch panel
    The picture isnt the best but i think the lucky thing was there is a tank between the inner 1/4 and frame which may have kept the 1/4 from totally crushing inwards . there is a small tear in the sheetmetal under behind the side of the rear bumper which cant be seen in the pic. the inner 1/4 panel is within 3/8" from the tire now ,it was about 1-1/2" - 2" prior to this

Attached Files:

17. hfracing53

hfracing53

A GOOD frame machine operator , could side pull that quarter back in its right place . Even if you put a quarter on it , you still have to side pull the inner wheel well out anyway . Side pull on the inner and hammer on the outer pressure points , and you would be surprised how well it comes back . Accidents happen . Good luck with the repairs .

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Im thinkin a decent bodyman could fix that easier than changing it but Im also thinkin that "maybe" a section out of any 59 quarter may be the same with exception of the gas lid/door.[​IMG]

19. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Believe it or not, a wagon quarter is shorter than a two door or a four door sedan quarter...I found that out on my wagon...it's about 4 inches shorter...!!!

I think I'd have a skilled bodyman fix that quarter instead of cutting it up...especially if it's all good metal and there's no rust or body putty in it already...the door will need replacing.

R-

20. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I found that out doing my 60 el camino, however I was able to cut the lower repair patch down to fit.
    on the door: I used a 2 door sedan door on my smashed elcamino door, however the top of the sedan window frame slopes down, and the elcamino goes straight back (basically horizontal like the window frames on your wagon) It was some work, but the window frame is just spot welded to the inner structure of the door, after some drilling and prying I was able to get both the frames out and swap them.
    in doing that , you might be able to find and source a 4 door sedan door to fix yours.

21. 59 brook

59 brook

well i appreciate all the advice , i think i have located a good wagon door ,i will know wednesday for sure . then when the door arrives, the fun can begin. the 1/4 was original 59 metal and had no rust or rot in it

22. And on a 1962 Bel air wagon it's the other way around. the wagon is 4 inches longer than the sedan.

23. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

if there's no rot in that qtr. a couple of welded plate pulls in the right spots and a uni-spotter would get that qtr right back into shape. hang that new door and check the gap on the dog leg, grab a hammer and dolly and get at it. no reason to change that qtr. panel, it's not Honda sheet metal your working with here. good luck and post progress pics.

Hnstray and jadegrenade 51 like this.
  24. fingers crossed,,good luck. HRP

25. pressuredrop

pressuredrop
    from mesa AZ

Check out Desert Valley Auto Parts in Arizona. They have q huge inventory of classic cars, and ship body panels all over the world.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Desert Valley Auto Parts in Casa Grande Arizona should have what you're looking for...

27. 59 brook

59 brook

checked with d.v.a.p last week and they said they had nothing usable. thanks anyway

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like an easy fix to me. much easier than a full quarter replacement

29. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree with 'autobodyed' .........this is good advice on the quarter panel.

30. 59 brook

59 brook

i am happy to hear that you guys think it can be pulled out . i just dont have the skill ,patience or time so i will let a professional do the work and hopefully i can get lots of pics as i would definately love to watch it straighten out