Register now to get rid of these ads!

The hardest hood to louver yet. F-1

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k-member, Aug 21, 2006.

1. k-member

k-member

Old Beet and I had a real good challeng today, we louvered a F-1/M-1 hood today. DAMN, these are some big O hoods. Sorry no pics of the job being done as there were only two of us, but here are some after shots. We were kind of fighting each other do to the size and shape of it, but I think it turned out OK. We got 88 louvers in this baby. I bet there are some other hoods that are a real bastard as well. Anywho, here's the pics.

Attached Files:

• M13.JPG
      M13.JPG
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
    • M12.JPG
      M12.JPG
      File size:
      58.7 KB
      Views:
    • M1.JPG
      M1.JPG
      File size:
      44.6 KB
      Views:
    • Close1.JPG
      Close1.JPG
      File size:
      48 KB
      Views:
    • F103.JPG
      F103.JPG
      File size:
      42.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very nice it looks as though it kept it's compound curve.

3. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

Nice job!

if I wasn't a broke cheap guy I'd plan on getting mine done cause that looks perfect

4. k-member

k-member

Thank you, it did keep it's shape nicely. You don't really think of them as curvy, but put a few louvers in one and you REALLY notice. Good eye mang.
    And UpChuck,Thanx, but don't worry, I think the kanuck dollor is going to surpass the USofA's soon, so it won't be to bad for ya.

5. Retroline

Retroline

I've seen a good hood go not so good on an F1. That one turned out great,and no bucket of filler needed! awesome!!

6. old beet

old beet

Another good day when I work with my son! Pleased with the outcome! Hope you guys are as lucky as I am.....Kids and cars, dosen't get any better!!!!............OLDBEET

7. that turned out nice, good looking pattern.

The guy that did my 53 Studebaker hood said it was the hardest he has ever
    done because of the compound curves and no inner structure.

8. old beet

old beet

I looked at K-MEMBERS 50-51 Stude hood....NO flat spots in it!!!!.....OLDBEET

9. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

I'm ready to trade in all I own for a louver press.......... Beautiful!

10. CGkidd

CGkidd

Hey Keith, I am still interested in getting the hood for the buick done. What you think you guys up it?

Eric

11. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

Nice job on that F1 hood. Thehardest I have come across lately was a 40 Buick, almost too long for the throat of my press line not parallel to hood centerline, and subtle compound curves. At least it is two piece though.

12. Looks real good Keith.

13. k-member

k-member

Thanks fellas, I don't mind the compound curves as much as the shear size and weight of a hood. Our press has a "Deep Throat" (Woops) so long ones are not so bad, big hoods like CGKids BUICK or Keith's HUDSON are harder to feel and feeling is an important part as we do not lay every louver out. I am thinking about making an out-rigger of sorts for the top of the press to suspend to panels from a bungie set up so that the panels more or less kind of floats to get a better feel for them instead of trying to fight the guy trying to hold said large heavy panel or hood.

14. flatheadmalc

flatheadmalc

Thats a real good idea I had bee thinking of supports underneat with rollers but that would require constant adjustment, the floating bungies should be much better than my idea

15. old beet

old beet

I'm the guy yer trin to fight, I told ya its heavy.......DAD

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Reminds me of the last multi-lovered car I did, bloody finger tip time is next.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

17. k-member

k-member

We started out using under supports and it was tuff to move and readjust all the time, thats what got me thinking of the bungie set-up. If you get to it before us, let us know how it works. Let's hear about some more difficult louver jobs as it would be nice to know prior to doing some stuff.

18. old beet

old beet

Wow!! Inside out!!1............................OLDBEET

19. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

:mad: Truck hoods are a real pain to do for sure, however we hang ours from a set of rollers and adjustable chains then you are not fighting your partner or the hood. You may want to check this out on the post "show some appreciation to your local louver guy" We find by hanging the hood we can also make minor adjustments for "creep". Hope you find this helpful.:D

20. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Good work guys! Goes perfectly together with the tailgate, four rows each. I'm sure it was a heavy, large and thick son of the bitch! Truck looks very good!

21. k-member

k-member

Thanks for the info, I must check it out. The roller chain idea sounds like a good one, probably way better than the bungie bounce. Thanks again.