Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hackman Model-A With BURNOUTS!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hackman, Dec 2, 2012.

1. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I forgot all about that thread.. Thanks. This is coming up soon for me. F1 box, also with an early Chevy engine. Ironic. :rolleyes:

2. Ok guys so its been a while since my last update. I was able to finish up the body repair work as scheduled so I thought I would check on the engine.

So the story with this 283 is kind of neat. It belonged to my good friend Matt's grandfather and was originally in a 61 Biscayne. The engine was rebuilt by a local machine shop about the time I was in high school and was destined to be installed in a way channeled 64 Ford pickup that belonged to Matt at the time. So the engine remained stored for years untouched. So this is the cool part. No one including me, ever really payed much attention to what this little engine really was. The pistons are .040 over flat tops and upon my casting number search I found out that it has quote "dual quad, fuel injection, or 4 barrel Vette" heads. Also ended up having a forged crank. I pulled it down just to make sure that everything is ok inside and I am pretty pleased with how clean it still is.

Pics to fallow.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  3. Also i forgot to add pics of the roof repair piece. Chassis and suspension up next.

Attached Files:

4. kingpins

kingpins

cant wait to see your A coupe. ive been a fan of your T coupe for a while also. good luck and congrats on the wedding

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool build , i like the cat save , and the history off the engine , neat lil 283

6. Update

Fist off, thanks for the kind words guys. I have really been trying to work on the project every day to keep the pace rolling along. I was able to sell off the original chassis and running gear to a local restorer and it just so happened that he had a really nice 28/29 frame he would offer in trade. So my good buddy Connor (the guy who did the awesome wood roof on my T coupe) and myself left with a nice replacement frame and a wad of hundred dollar bills.

Today was spent stripping the frame of anything I wont be using and setting up for the rear notch tomorrow night.

Here are some pics of the new frame and how it looks as of tonight. I will post the frame modification pics tomorrow evening.

Attached Files:

7. Well I got started on the kick up today. I went with a 3 inch total drop. I will cut my boxing plates and install them tomorrow. The full inner boxing plates are next on the agenda.

Here are the pics of tonight's progress.
    Thanks
    Hack

Attached Files:

8. Update. . well kind of.

I managed to get the rear frame step finished up. Not too much this week due to family stuff. My sister is in the Marines and is stationed in Hawaii so we dont get to see her very often. Anyway, here is a pic of the boxing plate. I added the rosette welds just for added strength.

Thanks for watching
    Hack

Attached Files:

9. ty johnson

ty johnson

10. Update,

So today was pretty productive. I started by adding a brace and removing the middle cross member. I had help from my future father and law, a great dude, and my buddy Ben so we knocked some good work out. I was able to clean up the inner channel and weld in the body mounting nuts. I shot some rust inhibiting primer inside the frame and the inside of the boxing plate. I sheared up the boxing plates at work from 1/8 inch material and after some trimming, we had them fitting nicely. A full outside corner front to back to ensure proper penetration. Next I will mount the engine and trans. Thanks for checkin it out.

Hack

Attached Files:

11. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I'm sure it will be awesome.
    Sorry about the drool marks I left on your T at Bonneville. I must have checked that car out 5 different times.

12. Hey thanks man! i sure am appreciative of all the positive feedback on the T in B-ville. Things like that keep my ass in gear.

Hack

13. Drivinford

Drivinford

Makin some good ground now man. Keep it up

14. Drivinford. Thanks man. I think were both doin damn good. See you out there.

Hack

15. Update,
    Well guys I have pretty much finished up the frame boxing. I fully tigged up the boxing plates and the cross members. I machined the steering box as well and I am ready to install the engine and trans. The problem I have now is that the guy that I made the deal on the trans with is kind of giving me the run around. It is an early 60's T-10 and he keeps telling me that he wants to sell it and we have even agreed on the price. But every time I call him he is busy or something. I mean I have been chasing him around with 100 dollar bills! So I have given him the benefit of the doubt up to now. If he cant come up with it by tomorrow, I'm going elsewhere.

Anyway, here are some pics of recent progress. I may or may not have made a change on the engine of choice. But if I did, you wont be disappointed.

Hack

Attached Files:

16. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

17. Ok fellas,
    I finally got the magic trans! I went over to the guys house and saw the deal through. He was pretty cool about it. So with that said I was able to mount up the engine trans. Here are the pics of my progress. I bent up the trans cross member at work and tacked it all in place this evening. I mounted the rad and shell to ensure enough fan clearance.

Thanks
    Hack

18. Oops,
    here are the pics.

Attached Files:

• a4.jpg
      a4.jpg
      File size:
      392.8 KB
      Views:
    • a1.jpg
      a1.jpg
      File size:
      423 KB
      Views:
    • a2.jpg
      a2.jpg
      File size:
      340.2 KB
      Views:
    • a3.jpg
      a3.jpg
      File size:
      333.7 KB
      Views:
    • a5.jpg
      a5.jpg
      File size:
      404.6 KB
      Views:
  19. I forgot to add that I trimmed and repaired the cross member. I also welded the seams to the frame rail for added strength.

Have a good day

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  20. Update,
    Since my last update I have finished welding all of the mounts and set the engine and trans back in the frame to have a sit back and look session. I also ground the top weld on the rails so that the body will sit flush. I tigged up all of the remaining areas on the chassis where there were temp cross members and finish ground them. I think that its all sitting together nicely. As soon as my front end shows I will post my progress on that as well. I will be using another early Bronco 9 inch for the rear and I am currently cleaning the housing up. I will also be fabricating the ladder bars from 1 inch d.o.m. this week I hope. I will post as I go.

Thanks for checking it out. And thanks for the responses.

Hackman

Attached Files:

21. Update,
    So I have been working on the rear suspension this past week. I fabricated the rear spring perches and zapped them on the rear axle in the stock locations. I also built a rear spring from an old truck spring I had. It now has the same leaf count as a coupe would have stock. I may end up removing whatever I will need to nail "the look".

Anyway, I set the pinion angle at 2 degrees up as per my chassis book but the ladder bars will be adjustable for a couple degrees + or -.

I compressed the spring with a couple of HD Bessey clamps and I think the shackle angle looks about like it should.

I ordered my 1 inch DOM for the ladder bars and it should be in tomorrow. I will update as I go.

My fromt end should be in this week and hopefully will have myself a roller pretty soon!

Thanks for checkin my rookie ass out,
    Hack

Attached Files:

22. Bump for the morning crowd. I must be workin while you you guys are sleeping.

Good day boys

23. wex65

wex65
    from WV

At the risk of being told I don't know what I am talking about, which is entirely possible!, I notice your welding/boxing appears to be done with the frame simply sitting on axle stands. Is this not a concern in terms of heat warping the frame??

I am about to box my frame and put it on hold till I had something to tack the frame down to.

Great car and thread, subscribed.

Paul

24. Actually it sure is a concern. So this is what I did and it seemed to work nicely. I simply leveled the frame up and put a weight lifting bar at each end over the stands. About 300 lbs over each end and the frame did not move at all. I just jumped around when I wan welding and all went well. Thanks for the question as this is a good bit of info!

Hack

25. wex65

wex65
    from WV

OK, I'm off to Dicks Sporting Goods, should be boxing the frame by Monday! :D

26. Stormin' Norman1

Stormin' Norman1

Nice work! Very nice T-coupe.

27. Haha what a guy. But really, the weight thing works.

And thanks for the compliment Norman. Good luck with your project!

My DOM just showed up too. Ladder bars on the way!

28. Update,
    The past few days have been pretty productive. The first pic shows the inserts I machined up for the DOM for the ladder bar ends. I also made up the axle brackets for the rear and tacked them in. ( I know I have to blow that brake line clamp off. ) I am currently making the front bushings and center supports for the ladder bars. I also got the front suspension installed but I failed to take some pics and ill post them next time.

I have a little medical deal going on tomorrow so Ill be down for a couple days. I will post some pics as soon as I get my ass back in gear,

Let me know what you think guys,
    Hack

Attached Files: