Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kustomriv

kustomriv

Hi

Why don't we build two frames for the coupe.. Maybe one for bville and maxton. nad then maybe one for just for drag racing. so that way we can have two different motors and have too frames with more tech info.

Tim

2. robleticia

robleticia

That's pretty cool of you Bill! I think its a great idea and can't wait to see what happens next. I also agree that the car should never be sold, it should represent the HAMB and all the great people and knowledge that make this site what it is.

3. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Sounds good to me. I know I have to move it soon though. So many great offers coming in already. Body, bodywork, paint, signwriting, design, floor, frame, blower, front wheels, Quickchange...

I can wait to get the voting threads going.

The name of the car will be a discussed issue but I thought it would be cool if somewhere on the car (preferably at the rear?) it said..."ReMember This!" I can think of at least 3 interpretations of the phrase.

I'm going to fly over to get my hands dirty on this car. I'm keen to watch and help, especially want to be a part of making this body live again with respect.

4. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I'm only reading the first page on this thread, but 1) count me in for help building, financing, parts; 2) I have shop space/storage space; 3) I can/will help arrange transportation it it comes this direction; 4) do what I can to make this work.

edit1** As I read up to page 4 now, I wanted to add this...

I run a 501 (c)3 charity of which part is a transportation ministry to help those in need get transportation so they might get back and forth to work/home and pull themselves up (with help). I mention this because donations of parts/pieces/money could then be tax deductible for the donors. (NOTE this is just an added piece to the puzzle and a SUGGESTION as I brainstorn through this thread)

edit 2** Up to page 8 and Ryan's response

As to the legal ownership, the charity could own the car. The charity is a corporation, run by a board of directors. I would be willing (with other director approval) to add a special committee of HAMB members, chose by the HAMB to serve as directors with overall control of the disposition and progress of the car. This would be a legal means of ownership with the HAMB (via the board members) having all control over the progress/disposition/usage of the vehicle.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  5. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

So many generous offers. Amazing.

6. nofin

nofin
    from australia

How about HAMB IT UP! too?

Or maybe a name suggestion:

HAMB IT coUPe

I love the idea of this because at the moment my good metal working tools are all in a box in a garage on the other side of the world from where I live so this is the closest I can come to having a custom ride that's not made by Hot Wheels.

7. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

I am not an alliance member yet, but will try to get my Membership real soon. I would be interested in helping design a chassis out of tube for this car. I could draw this up in 3D Autocad and provide dimensional drawings for whomever ends up with the car for the build.

This is a long shot, but I'd also be interested in helping build the chassis and will have a free shop around the end of May. I am acquiring a Chassis Jig table and could get started fairly quickly. One stipulation, I would like to see what Ryan thinks of this HAMB Build as well as local Missouri Participation. I am located in Central Missouri - that is the middle of America basically. :cool:

Sounds like a killer idea, but I would like to see this all hashed out and not hastily planned. I'd like to see the work I do go to a good cause as well as - I'd love to see the car when completed and be able to watch it go down the MoKAN raceway at the HAMB Drags! Obviously I am all for the drag coupe build. Also, I have a DESOTO 291 Hemi that would be perfect for this car!

8. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Cool! I think a forum like this is the perfect way to make sure everything is dicussed thoroughly and approved by vote.

Agreed and I'd like to see it visit all the old race tracks as well. The obvious theme would be "We've got to save this cool old stuff!".

9. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

Well, it seems that there's enough interest and offers to get this off the ground, and as far as legalities, all Ryan need to do is verify that this car is put in a trust completely separate from OP and HAMB. No ties to either. That way we can all rest assured that no one is scamming anyone (which I think is already obvious) and that no liability is given to Ryan or the HAMB.

choose a project leader (not Ryan) and it's a go. I nominate OP.

10. I think many of the nay-sayers are missing the great PR (not PBR) opportunity in this. I don't think Ryan is really looking to grow the HAMB, but this project is a chance to show the country what the traditional hot rod movement is really all about. Kinda like a picture is worth a thousand words...this project could help to clear up the whole traditional vs "rat rod" misunderstanding. I'd bet there are plenty of members capable and willing (me included) to relay the car to races, shows and events all around the country. Guess what...if every individual involved just shows respect for the project and what it represents, there won't be ANY problems.

Lets prove it CAN still be done...and done right. Personally, I think the car should be built using strictly donated parts and labor, and that no high-volume "catalog" pieces be allowed. Hotrodding used to be all about buddies getting together and building cars with SIHALA (Shit I Had Laying Around) Cash donations could be used to offset transportation and other necessary expenses. I like the idea of polling the membership regarding theme, parts,etc. That way a "wish list" can be started and everyone knows exactly what is going on with it. Let's show what we've got, people. My hat's off to the OP for giving all of us this opportunity...from half a world away.

11. DE79

DE79
    from Austin,Tx

I completely agree with you. I'm only 30, but I would imagine things would have been different back in the day.
    It is a pretty cool chance for the community to grow closer, but so far there have been quite a few naysayers. Theres still much for me to learn when it comes to rods, but I know I would be up for doing what I could to help.

12. Stickin' my nose in...

Everyone donates, and then raffle the car and donate the money to cancer research. Cancer touches us all.

13. thesupersized

thesupersized

this reminds me of the rod and custom dream truck, i think it would be cool if all the decisions were made through hamb polls, however doing so may result in tyranny of the majority!! maybe not.

14. raven

raven

Crazy idead, but could work if all the naysayers would go away.
    We did something similar for a very dear member of our community a couple of years ago. Hamb Andy.
    This could be used in a similar fashion.
    We should call it 'Mr. Bones'.
    r

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be against that. Why cure cancer when the research is worth billions? I know that's a negative and synical comment but...

And before you go to bustin my ass over it my dear departed Mother died of cancer and my Mother-in-Law is kickin breast cancer. I get it.

The car and idea. A great big "FUCKIN EH, MAN!!"" for the whole gig. How many fuelers were built by "clubs"? Lots of em. Does it always work? No but there's more on here that will make it work than won't. Not surprised to see who was a yea and who was a neh. I don't have an over-abundance of money or time but I'd be in. There's pockets of active members here that form some pretty spectacular groups. It doesn't have to be EVERY MEMBER participating. But every member can support it some how. Some of you have stunning ideas and talent. This is too good to pass up in so many ways. I'd worry less about logistics and legalities right now. Insurance is not such a worry if it's a racer. The tracks carry insurance as do most major car shows. Insure it for the loss. Ownership? Who cares? Really, what's the problem? Somebody has to have a fiduciary responsibility for the car at some point. That's really easy too. You sign for the responsibility and carry on. In the end if it ever wears off and a vote doesn't allow for a charitable donation to a cause after a sale without dissent, donate it to a museum. Done.

Get the idea of money and value of the completed project outta yer head and run with it. I'm in if it happens. It's not it will consume all we have to get involved in some way. I'm sure it's been said it will have to tour the country for the work to be done to give it the "soul" you and the rest of us would be looking for. Control is a big problem. Everybody's a control freak at some level. That goes back to the fiduciary position. Also a commitee of some kind needs to make decisions as they come up and in today's electronic age folks can meet from the comfort of their laptop.

How hard can it be? I say do it. When do we start?

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I didn't read every post in this thread, takes too long.
    Get it delivered to my place, and if someone kicks in a wiring kit, I'll wire it up. I can't add anything more than some good hard work.

17. Russian

Russian

i did a rough photoshop on paint... if anyone have some very good ideas on paint pm me and i do my best to show how it will look... if this project gonna start at all

Attached Files:

18. impalabuilder

impalabuilder
    from NJ

If it comes relatively close to NJ, I'll donate time, money, workspace (small) or parts

19. draggler

draggler

My aplogies up front ,for some considering me a naysayer as well !
    I have as many do as well the warm good feeling for this project as well as the chaneling of it to help those in need of something that as of yet to be released marketed or flat out dont know how to cure cacer,,,having it in my family as well . But My bigger picture mind has my gut feeling that although great iintentions and large bump on the post's alive factor .that in the end the owner from the start would also be the owner in the end ??? Please correct me if i have lost the big picture that im seeing or going off in the wrong direction ?

20. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

well it better be the baddest of the bad when its done

21. I think this would be a fun one to watch if not try to get involved. I think leaving it in the states during the build is probably the most economical route, just gotta find someone in the Colorado area who has a shop area, or open garage space, to conduct the build in. That for sure is your foundation and then start getting people to donate parts and work. Maybe someone could contact Fortier and the gang over at Rod & Custom and see if they would be interested in getting involved and covering the build up. God knows they probably get a ton of parts and services offered up for little to no $$$, and some of the companies could use it as a tax write off. You would also need to get a US non-prfit tax ID for a non-profit entity so these generous companies could have something on paper to use as proof that they have donated these parts and services or whatever. You can also use the non-profit entity as the "parent/owner" company of the car to avoid any discrepancies regarding ownership that may arise. Just some thoughts, if you like 'em use 'em, if not shitcan 'em.

22. hell if no one else decides they want to be involved ship it to me in Michigan and me and the Michigan HAMBers will build it up at my shop and take it to shows all over, I already travel to shows in the mid-west and will be moving to Cali in December..I think it's a cool idea and I'm defiantly in

23. If this does get built and then auctioned maybe we could donate the proceeds to a charity that has something to do with HAMBANDY.

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Between you, Mark, and I, and our crews, we could gang this thing in one wknd. I think it definitely needs to see one of our shops and we can all get in on it. I can also go get it from wherever it is or may be.

With the amount of support this car is getting already, we made need to get 2 more and make an East vs. Central vs. West Battle!!!!!!!!

25. adam401

adam401

I think with a clear goal in mind (ie. a charity designated in advance) this could and will work. The skeptics can't be spoken of too harshly because unfortunately the way the world is going right now its not too far fetched to suspect someone is scamming in the name of a charitable donation. The origional poster however seems to not have anything to gain personally and I applaud him and think his intentions are nothing but pure.

As far as putting the burden on Ryan to deal with the legalities, I think thats kinda putting a guy on the spot who already has his hands full (though using the HAMB name may be sticky for him without such control)
    There's a great bunch of men and women on here who could pull something off like this. If everyone donated 2 bucks we could build a straight up gold chainer.

26. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Thanks to all who are showing support for this. I understand that this thread is getting a bit long for people to read so let me summarise where we are.

I should make it clear that I am donating this body (and parts) to the project and wish to make no financial gain (unless you call for non-automotive corporate sponsors because I would definitely become one) and from my desire to see us all donating our time and parts to build a cool (and hopefully killer triple tough) coupe to race, modify and invite participation in by all members.

Members can participate either through offering an opinion on the build in one of the build threads or donating parts (that builds soul into the car) or time (which also builds soul into the car). I believe the internet is an amazing medium and this is going to be one of the most powerful examples I've ever been involved in and I can barely believe I started it. I'm very grateful to my brain for coming up with the idea. I thank nature and the world we've created for that opportunity and feel a certain responsibility to guide this (if asked) to a direction that exactly demonstrates and illustrates what the H.A.M.B. is all about.

If this ends up being threatened by legal issues I am willing to remain the owner of the car and pay for the entire build and all services used in the build but all I need is Ryan's blessing to use the name H.A.M.B. on the doors and it will be built as a tribute to this place...keep in mind though that the project will progress slower because I have to fund the car out of my own hobby budget because I could not accept parts or time in donations - that wouldn't be right and I have no intention of profiting off the generosity of others. That's not my gig, intention or desire.

or...(as I prefer and believe is the best and fastest way to go)

I am willing to donate the body and parts to an organisation that will own the car and we all donate parts and time to get it going.

If it ends up being too hard to organise I will just do it myself as a tribute but I prefer that this car be released out of my hands and into the hands of members so that no one "owns" the car - It just "is" and will always be. I prefer that we assign zero monetary value to the car and we all think of it as worth nothing in money but everything in spirit. This car should mean a lot to us for what it represents.

As far as Naysayers and haters go; I don't believe anyone has expressed any hate for the idea and the Nay sayers have probably seen things like this get out of control and are worried that this might end up being a bad thing. They may come across as negative but I'm sure they have their reasons. At first I was confronted by the accusations that I was doing this for personal gain but like I said - I'm not. I just think this will be a hilarious buzz and a tonne of fun and with so many good feelings in this place and so many extra ordinary offers already put up I believe it will prove to be everything we had hoped and dreamed it could be.

I imagine this car being ever present at every H.A.M.B. event possible. It will just always be there and will make several runs and be an active race car and will attract new members. We will all love this coupe like a child and like a child, when it's first born and brought home it changes everyone's life and causes untold chaos, confusion and drama and yet it's loved from the first moment and forever by all.

I believe the principle is sound and reasonable. Legal ownership is a matter for what ever's best for the project. The project is the most important thing and all decisions should be made for the good of the project.

Earlier, someone mentioned that the overwhelming majority of parts and time be donated and no parts be bought with cash or extracted new from a catalogue. I like this idea so that way we can point to anything on the car and say "that was donated by member X" and "that weld was pulled by Member Y"...etc and it's all old cool stuff. I think that would be cool. I'm building my 32 using all old parts where possible and I have lots of stories from most parts in my garage and I like it that way.

We are just waiting for Ryan's decision before I start decision threads because that will give us a direction and we can start making decisions.

Again, thank you all for your support for this idea. I think it's a goer because it relies on all the best human traits and motivations (giving freely of one's time and possessions for the greater good) and that's got to be a good thing.

27. RodLand

RodLand

I'm in, just to see how it develops. I know it will never get anywhere close to where I am but maybe I will have a part or two that can be used.

28. thebugbox

thebugbox

My 2 cents. First, you're freaking crazy. Second, this is a great idea.
    I recommend look at the Star Wars project that people did. Everyone offered to make 15 seconds of the movie, then pieced it all together. I forget the link.

Here’s how I would proceed to check for feasibility.
    1. Vote on style of car. Limit it to 3-5 styles with an option for ‘none of the above’
    2. Vote on route of the car should take
    3. Create a ‘to-do’ list in a logical order.
    4. Create a sign-up for the first item on the to-do list (i.e. get car to florida!).
    5. As each item gets assigned, then work on the next item, and work on the transportation.
    6. Once a full schedule is blocked, then we worry about ownership and the legal stuff prior to starting on the first task.
    7. Create a ‘need list’. Do not send parts until the step that they are needed is in progress and the vehicle is at the designated place. This will probably have its own ‘to do’ list to get the big parts there.
    If this part gets enough traction, then I would say we are very close to a plan.

1. I say donate the car to the HAMB, which means donating it to Ryan (hear me out first).
    2. Stipulate that the ownership of the vehicle can only change if 100% of the funds are used to support the HAMB operating costs, or donated to a charity to be determined by vote on the HAMB.
    3. All members that work on the coupe should be given a perk from the HAMB (i.e. 10 hours of volunteer time = Membership, or parts valued in excess of $500 = Membership, or maybe even unique plaques to members that help, which will be a badge of honor).
    4. Everything must be documented. Ideally we’d like to get a TV show involved to make this happened (hey I can dream!).
    5. The car should stay in one place no more than 1 month at a time, and ideally should work its way across the U.S. A list of what needs to be done in a somewhat specific order (frame, rolling chassis, to make it towable, engine, wiring, etc…) should be chartered, with volunteers signing up to do what. Only the final teardown and paint allowed for any longer time.
    6. I would push for ‘Host Clubs’ along its route. Maybe we even plan on the vehicle only travelling I-10 from Florida to the West Coast? Keeps it out of the rust belt, and can be shown by the host clubs during its trip?
    7. If the project stalls for any more than 3 months, then we revert back to an auction, and follow rule 2. So as this thing doesn’t draw on for years with no progress
    8. Everything should be decided by democracy and see what happens. Individual host clubs / builders can add flavor to keep it interesting, but any ‘flavor’ must be able to be unbolted if it is added and ultimately voted down.

29. camel = committee building a horse

30. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Bill...I think you've got a great idea here, and like everyone else I have my opinions on how it should be built and the end results. Keep in mind that this is above all a "Traditional Hot Rod" board.
    I think that all the major decisions should be by Hamb polls, and once the type of project is decided then hand it over to the FAS and let our artist come up with a finished design then vote again. Find a project manager and make him or her responsible for the logistics of the build. When it's done, sell tickets on the Hamb for a $1 each (after all theres 100,000 of us) and give the money to Ryan. Now that's supporting the Hamb....

Now that I've spouted off, count me in for the wiring harness if this comes to fruition.
    Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.