Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bored&Stroked, I'm with ya''. Just like Trulyvintage is saying, "if we build it, it will run". So, I guess we need to find someone who has the free time to manage the project, who's smart enough to get it done, and dumb enough to step up.

Luckily, I'm disqualified on all three counts...

BTW Trulyvintage, I absolutely love your avatar pic; saw it somewhere a year or so back.

Could you tell me where you found her photo? If she was my UPS driver, I'd be placing orders from all over daily!

-Bill

2. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Gold!

Dumb enough? An odd choice of phrase. I'm guessing you meant honourable enough, trust worthy enough, community minded enough, adventurous enough...etc...right?

3. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

We should probably start another thread with a new name. Take the H.A.M.B. part off so no one thinks this or anything to do with this has anything to do with the H.A.M.B. so they are not responsible enough at all. It will need a new name.

4. nofin

nofin
    from australia

New circumstances, new name:

Coupe d'etat!

BTW, PM me an address to send the camera to start recording this thing.

5. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Wow! Ok. Metalman? Can you PM Nofin your address so we can send the official camera to "The Coupe With No Name"? Can you set it up to record at max resolution? Anyone care to donate a really big memory card?

6. I'm still on board - 32ford5 please post the name of the new thread when it come to be!

7. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Yep, won't leave any of you behind.

8. Is this the first host shop?

I am starting out my day in Rawkins, WY heading west to
    drop off a race car in Reno, NV - then I go up to Redding, CA
    to pick up a trailer for a HAMBer - then back to Reno, NV
    to pick up a truck for transport to Nebraska ......

So, if Albuquerque, NM is the first stop ........

Potentially I have room to start a parts donation relay
    from Redding, CA thru Sacramento, CA to Reno, NV
    thru Salt Lake City, UT to Denver, CO (to pick up the body)
    and then to Albuquerque, NM ......

Donations have been made on this Thread ;)

It is important that this Thread remain open so HAMBers
    can track the progress of the project build :D

I will check this Thread later today when I am in
    Salt Lake City, UT .....

Transparency is key to Trust ;)

We need to keep HAMBers updated here on this Thread

If you build it .......
    It will run ......

Jim

9. Now we're crackin boys! 32Ford5 - keep me in the loop --- keep ALL of us in the loop and lets get the car party started! We still need to formulate a plan and put the ground rules and core 'steering group' in place. Publish the plans, the rules, regs, assumptions and expectations and rock n' roll!

I like the:

"Coupe With No Name"

10. At least one HAMBer offered to donate shirts :)

Why not acknowledge donors in three categories ?

Parts

Service

Cash

I suggest printing simple t - shirts for the first leg
    of this project :)

Have the title of this Thread with the original body
    image accompanied by the appropriate category
    of donation ...

As the project build progresses, additional t-shirt
    series will evolve .....

If you build it ......
    It will run ......

Jim

11. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

great effort you u.s guys, now bill,what can be done this end, re; parts collection/shipping etc. feeling a long way from where the action is, kind of weird as i'll probably never touch the car, but really want to be a part of it.cheers,thommo.

12. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Yes Jim. Metalman is going to receive TCWNN and put his hands on his hips and see what we have here. Once the coupe is picked up from it's current location it officially belongs to no one and we must all take care of it and make sure it lives.

It would be great if a H.A.M.B. (Alliance?) member wants to work on it they can come and help with any chores (such as photographing and filming and doing write ups, sanding, getting donuts, burgers, parts or even changing the music to something heavier.

T-Shirts are a good idea but I think we should use the T-Shirts not to finance the coupe but to help someone less fortunate or down on their luck or cold or hungry. Let us (the members) take care of the car and the money raised can go to charity. If it's a legal problem we'll just get charities to place a money bucket near the coupe so we can chuck our change in as we walk past.

All most of us want is to hang out with cool people and cool cars. If you haven't got a car of your own, (join the Alliance?) and come and work on (y)our car. It could become a whole social thing but it's a one way valve, we give without wanting anything in return...ever. It's our release and permission to do something just because it's fun.

I want lots of crazy and cool pics to keep the threads alive and lots of good write ups under the pics. This is a chance and opportunity to be as excellent as we can be and we don't have to be...we get to be.

So...The Coupe With No Name eh? Is there another way we can say the same thing but catchier? Perhaps it needs a thread? I've got a few good ideas already and love brainstorming it.

The category ideas above are good and we should develop that until we know what the categories are going to be. There would be build threads in all the categories such as body/paint, motor, chassis, electrical, interior...etc

Then we could have threads to raise money (who can collect the money for us - I think I know. Ryan for helping H.A.M.B. Causes but we can also help people outside the H.A.M.B. as well and I think we should. JD?)

So many ideas. And we still haven't figured out how to get it out of my hands. An idea I had was to sell it to to the next shop for a dollar (they have to charge something...lol) and the car is owned or "caretakered" by each shop. I think we should have an Alliance shop member as the garage at all times. How do we chose?

We have to be flexible, go with the flow, laugh often and loud and always want what's best for the coupe with no name.

We could organise trips to America so we can go and work on it and hang out with some of the coolest people on the planet. I can think of worse weeks. Let's hold the donations for now until we fix the body. If Metalman needs stuff we'll make a list and I'll ask shops to be forthright in asking for stuff - no harm in asking.

I could go on but who wants the talking stick?

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  13. metalman

metalman

I'm stroked! Yeah, we gotta keep everyone in the loop.
    The way I see it...
    1: As soon as the car is here I'll take a good look at it, post what we are really up against so we know what we are going to need. I think we all have a good idea from the pics already posted but I'll feel better seeing the car in person (are we rebuilding the bottom 8" or the Bottom 3'!)
    2: In the mean time we need someone to start the social group so we can move all of this over there, anyone wanting to be a part of this can join and keep up to date there on the actual build debate/progress. I assume (hope) we can have polling threads on the social group threads? Like Bored&Stoked just said, let's set up our rules right away. Vote on a build style as soon as we can, get a core group together and get the game plan together.
    3: Pick the shops doing each phase asap so we know where the donated parts need to go to that's required for that phase. Shipping the car around will be a big deal in it's self, no need to make it bigger by having 2 truckloads of parts traveling with it.
    I'm sure we will run into some detours/ minor changes in the game plan as we go but that's normal in a build like this, we'll deal with those issues as they come up.

BTW, I'm honered to be part of this (hope you all can put up with my crappy spelling!) and really looking forward to working with all of you. Like I said before, this is going to be one he-- of a fun ride and we're going to build one bitchen' car!

14. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

<i><b>"The Coupe With No Name"</b></i>

That's perfect......

15. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Not sure about the social group (don't want to hide this away from members). I think we can take it easy and step by step. There's no rush, we should build a steady sustainable momentum and as long as things are happening they can take as long as they take. Let's get some decent pics and an assessment from you. In the meantime I'll start some new threads as we need stuff and once we gather all the suggestions we can vote with polls that run for a short time.

16. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I created a social group, but looks like we may not need it. If it's wanted, cool. If not, cool. I'm sure it's easy to delete. It may be a good idea to have the group to keep pics, parts lists, donor info, etc. more organized.

Anyway, if we want to use a social group, here you go: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=view&groupid=517

17. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Camera has a 1GB card in it already, but a bigger one can go in. Comes with everything in the original box: instructions (in nine languages), driver disc, download cable, tv cable. Will be on it's way to Metalman shortly...

18. metalman

metalman

Some thought on the donated money issues. Hopefully we won't need a tremendous amount of cash for this project but we will I'm sure need to buy some parts that we can't get donated and we do have members wanting to contribute cash donations as their part. Since we don't have a corperation or anything I'm afraid we are going to have to trust someone to handle the money. That person will need to open a checking account solely used for this project (not combined with any other personal or buisness account) and handle deposits and writing checks or parts orders with a check card. We have a large car club here that had a sizable amount of money, I handled it for a couple years, wasn't as bad as I thought. The bank account was an open book, once a month the statment was presented to the club so everyone could see what came in, went out. It was also known that at any time any member could request a current statement. We could do the same thing, post a copy of the statement on here. Yes, it will be possible for someone to run off with the money but that's no more of a risk as someone running off with the car! Personally, I don't think it will be enough money to be worth having hundreds of HAMBers after your a--!
    I guess as project "manager" (is that my title?) I could do it or we can have someone else do it, we'll just have to decide who early on.

19. dart165

dart165

Hey, If you need some design work to build towards, i'd be willing to step up and donate to the cause. My website should be done soon, but in the meantime, here's some random samples of my work.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v466/dart165/Sketchwork/?albumview=slideshow

If you want, we can get a general idea together of the direction you (all) wanna go, and then i can throw some lines down.

-Chris

20. thinkfink

thinkfink

just read all 28 pages and am happy to see this happening.

Please safeguard that the "cash donations" can be done easily from overseas (e.g paypal) I would like to contribute.

Good luck! And I am looking forward to watch the car evolve.

21. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

The Bastard Coupe. I like the name.

22. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Just had an idea, maybe, once style etc has all been decided then to get the parts we could write a master list, then post it so people can choose the part they can give like a wedding gift registry at a store. Obviously if someone has already offered a particular part they are put down for it, but it will let people donate parts to fit their budget, and will stop stockpiles of some parts and none of others. After all, we will only need one engine and trans but lots of nuts, bolts, screws, chewing gum, rubber bands...

23. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I figured it was a pretty accurate description. :D

24. kraka138

kraka138

what about The HAMBastard Coupe?

25. Parts relay route .....

O.K. the host shop has been chosen for the first leg ;)

Starting in Redding, CA and continuing down to Sacramento, CA
    I have a minimum of 5 feet x 8 feet of open trailer space to relay
    parts for this build .....

Continuing east from Sacramento, CA along I-80 east thru
    Reno, NV and Salt Lake City, UT to Cheyenne, WY then south
    on I-25 thru Denver, CO to pick up the body & possibly more
    parts for the delivery to Albuquerque, NM :D

There should be available room inside the body for additional
    parts once it is loaded in Denver .....

I am averaging 300 miles a day driving daylight hours only.

Please coordinate the donation effort here on this Thread
    by looking thru past posts to see if a HAMBer offered parts
    who may be along my route ....

Please post on this Thread ;)

If you build it ......
    It will run .......

Jim

26. 2Hep

2Hep

Hey Chris nice work! You should post one of Matt's '51

27. Area56

Area56
    from Oklahoma

I'm confused now.. is the car being relayed shop to shop so that folks can all work on it, or are parts just being relayed to a specific shop?

28. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

For now no one sends anything anywhere. Let's just get the car to Metalman so we can see what we've got. Then as we go we'll send parts to various shops. Jim, we need to get you some addresses. Can you please PM me when you think you can get to Wheat Ridge, CO 80033 so I can let the guy know when you might be coming?

29. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Hell yes , I cant wait to see how this deal will progress! Sounds like a neat idea.

30. I'm with yah . . . sounds like we just may get to 'lift off' yet! I've PMed you and 32Ford5 - can help get the logistics setup so we can get a straw-man plan put together, define what it is and what is isn't and get HAMBers that want to be involved to help ratify it. We need a clear, clean and simple going in position -- before any $$$, part or expectations are on the table!

This could be one cool ass project - - - never before attempted at such a grand scale, across multiple states, continents and time zones! Right On Hamb Brothers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.