Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The H.A.M.B. Coupe - It's yours!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32ford5, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

That is definitely an idea. Clubs or shops could "bid" for the right to work on it for a month or do a specific job or something like that.

Agreed.

Though even sitting in and starting it would be something I would pay money for! We could even sell "time" as crew. If enough people were supporting this it could even be one guys lucky job to take care of it no matter where it goes. I'd buy a raffle ticket in that lottery for sure!

So, for $X I would get to sit in it, start it, warm it up and give it a few good revs. All caught on video and given to the winner on an SD card memory stick to take away and cherish.

Moving the car would be something only experienced drivers should ever do though and I'm putting money in to buy a neutral safety switch that's been tested and works.

One thing I think we should all make sure we are prepared to do when it's in our charge is to take photos and photo story all the repairs and resurrection. Also, let's dig up the real story on this coupe. Who chopped it? Someone started off with a dream. Who was it?

2. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

This is a really good idea. Parts could be donated to the "project parts bin" so we have spares as well as options.

The idea for a clothes horse car is brilliant on several fronts.

1) It will keep the project interesting and alive "I wonder what the coupe's up to now?"

2) It will be press worthy, especially after a few personality swaps to prove that we as a community are not only capable of pulling off something this logistically complex but that as hot rodders we are probably the ONLY ones who could pull it off because we have all this passion.

3) This kind of car would be not likely be attempted by an individual but because we have this ENORMOUS power we can make it be everything from a race car to a drag car to a street car to a show car...etc

Let's harness this power to do something unusual and exciting. What can't we do when we apply ourselves? If we run out of ideas or can't agree we'll start off with a drag car, adapt it to the salt, adapt it for the street and by then I'm sure we would have come up with fresh ideas for it.

I really love the idea of having all the different power combos. We could use it as a model to model all the different engine combos it "might have had". There is no end to our imaginations anything we want we can do and if we all pitch in it would only cost us a few dollars each - if that. My company would love to sponsor this but I'm not sure that's the spirit we want to foster. This car must live and die by our own personal touch as members. We could consider adopting a "no thanks" approach to corporate sponsorship "we'll do it ourselves the old fashioned way".

Just a thought.

It would be cool if we could just "do it ourselves". Ryan owns it (if that's the best way) and we all just pitch in to fix it up for him...maybe give it a "bit of a tune up" as well... :D Just be careful, the throttle is a bit ummm...sensitive.

3. xadamx

xadamx

I have a full '35 Ford frontend intact...from original, unsplit wishbone to springs/axle/friction shocks/juice brakes. I also have the full steering setup from the same car. It's your's if you can use it. Cool idea, should be fun to see it evolve!

4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

It would be really bitchin' to see this thing at the HAMB drags and Bonneville in the same year- under the HAMB banner. I think the HAMB needs something like this. It's a challenge that we- as problem solvers- should sure as shit be able to figure out. When the problem is solved, we ask- "How do we make this car cooler?" "How do we make it faster?" I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of talent surfacing in this build.

5. MissPrint

MissPrint

Count us in. . .We love it when a plan comes together!

Kustom7777 has offered to weld. . .lend a hand. . .whatever!

MissPrint. . .um, hmm, erm. . .well, I ain't all that talented, but I know a bunch of people who are! ;):D

Put me down for general help, interior, block sanding (gawd knows I've got that skill down pat), and kickin' in a few bucks when needed!

6. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

i'll donate original hood sides,they do need a little work,but that's what this is all about,learning,teaching and achieving.
    i'll look in the shed and see what else is about,cheers,thommo.

7. "It will buff out" well if that fails ,
    I can join somethng to help out or buy some t shirts to help out:D

sure am too tired to push a sanding block very far !!!

8. Diesel627

Diesel627

holy crap this is awsome! if this thing ends up in Minnesota at all, count me in. Id love to get my hands dirty helpin out with it!!

9. racer756

racer756

Back to the top. This is very interesting. Please count me in for donating a full compliment of RED LINE OIL products for this project.

Thanks
    Don Hudson
    www.donhudsonracing.com

10. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

That's great guys, simply awesome! Still waiting on direction from Ryan.

11. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

I have followed this thread from the start and I have come to the conclusion that there are way more believers (including me) of this passion than nasayers. I'm in, and if it doesn't go blown, count me in for a 6 deuce intake for that nailhead. But, if it does we come up with some other induction parts, eh?

12. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

I really like this idea!!! And this is the kind of support the project needs! I would be more than happy to come down to a local shop that has it and give some time and maybe learn a thing or two. THIS CAN WORK!

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I always dug Project X when it was being done and redone in the early stages of Popular Hot Rodding.

Guess this one would be Project H!

14. this is a fantastic idea if we get it built for 2013 for bonnyville with a flat head and injected motor to run 2 classes that wood be cool it wood bring together all hamb members from all over the world and we could decide what classes to run and we wood need to have 3 things one to over see the project ,one to do the motor,s and one to do the frame and body so we wood have 3 groups and if we all chipped in 20.00$ each there wood be lots to biuld it right ... iam in .... ranfor from canada

15. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I bet we would be the only team on the salt with 500 crew members buzzing around the car!...lol

16. metalman

metalman

Wow. I'm amazed at the response this has gotten and the amount of folks willing to pony up some serious time and parts. Way cool, this could really work.

17. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

I am in.
    Let me know how I can help, or I will figure something out.

I could help sell it if it was wanted to be put out there for sale, but I really like the idea of keeping it in the Hamb Community.

I like the idea of having a raffle every year. The winner is the caretaker until the next year......

Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com
    www.ridefree.com tours

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  18. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bill Im so glad this is on track. Congrats to everyone for participating. Maybe T-shirts or plaques for donations???

19. why i thought of bonnyville is it could be the largest hot rod reunion and we wood be the biggest club there and we wood have all the greatest mind,s there to make it go fast

20. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

"Everybody smile for the nice press people".

21. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

How about a state by state run. We can go from member to member through all the states raising $$ as we go. We could do this year after year updating and changing styles as we go (keeping it traditional of coarse). Just a thought from the new guy. If it came my way I'd wrench on it.

22. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

I guess you missed my offer early on of a Hot Rod Column , steering wheel & Column drop :)

23. SixFive

SixFive

When i was in trade school the Ford dealer donated some cars for us to build. There was a custodial group of teachers overseeing the project but it was entirely up to us what got built. It worked out good because everyone got a say on a project that they couldn't have built on their own and it also increased our skills in various ares of car building.
    The cars where then used by the school to show of the talents of the pupils building them and to encourage people to enrol if they wanted to be part of such projects.
    A similar thing could happen here, but there is a fair bit to work out first.

I think the first under-taking should be to determine what kind of hot rod is going to be built before you start looking for parts and donations.

i would suggest starting with something fairly basic, no real exotic parts and easily repaired/maintained. This would help get the project off the ground and would give the hamb coupe room to evolve.

If you start with a tube-framed, blown competition car you have no-where to go. Remeber any hot rod can be raced, it doesn't have to be the fastest ever built, but would certainly be the most fun.

this would ensure that the hamb coupe has some longevity if people can watch it progress and transform through the years.. Will it end up a chromed out 60's show car? A full drag coupe? A super streamlined lakes car?

It might take a year, or 5 years but if done right people will be talking about it in 50 years.

24. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Licensed and ready.

25. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Sorry Steve, A few other items and people are missing off that list but I haven't started taking lists yet. Until Ryan gives us the go ahead this is just a preamble. Everyone will have an opportunity to make an official offer though I certainly do appreciate all the offers yet and this does prove that many of us think this is a good idea it won't officially start (I guess) until we can get Ryan to give us the go ahead. Once that starts we'll start the discussions and voting threads.

26. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I think you make a very good point SixFive. Kind of lost focus there for a minute. I agree and will be suggesting that we keep a stock transformable front end so we can bolt up a small front runner but then a salt wheel and then a street wheel if necessary. Tube frames and spindle mounts probably don't allow for a great deal of flexibility. Thanks for your input.

27. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

That sounds great but what/how would we fundraise?

HC.

28. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Bill

It's great to see your passion hasn't abated any since we spoke last year on the phone.

I admire your good intentions man and wish you (and all the Hambers who become involved first-hand) the very best of luck with this cool project.

Dale

29. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Hi ya Dale! (I buy Gibbs off Dale).

Around here how can I be anything but enthusiastic? The H.A.M.B. grabbed me by the hair as a street rodder and slammed be back down to earth and demanded I examine my motives. In the end I felt I agreed there was more soul in "built not bought and old is as cool as cool gets" and so...in a way, I was saved.

I have enjoyed communicating with the members here so much that when I asked my brain to come up with a clever solution to my "dilemma ala coupe" I thought of this gesture of thanks as a perfect solution and the chance to be a founding part of something huge. Plus this coupe is a blessing in that it's poor condition made it cheap enough to consider "writing off" to a good cause.

We have more than enough skill to fix it and so in a way whatever history has lead the poor thing into our lives we should be grateful for because we can make it as good as new and yet I'm pretty sure if it was cherry we wouldn't be having this discussion. Funny how things work sometime.

30. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Hey mate...How's it going down there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.