Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Green Ghost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dusty, Dec 14, 2009.

1. dusty

dusty

I seem to remember one of those high school books called "The Green Ghost". Thought it might be a Felsen book but dont find it in his credits. If I recall, the book had a green Willys coupe on the cover. Does anyone here remember it and if so who wrote it.
    Thanks,
    dusty

2. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe this is "The Green Ghost" by Patrick J. Williams. It was first printed in 1969 and is about a couple of guys dragging a green Willys. Patrick Williams is a pseudonym for W.E.Butterworth and he also wrote some car books under the name James McM. Douglas. He is most famous writing non car fiction under the name W.E.B. Griffith.

3. dusty

dusty

Thanks for the speedy reply. Its kind of funny how I can remember the cover of a book I read in school but cant remember what I had for dinner yesterday. Already found it used and ordered it thanks to your description.
    dusty

4. raven

raven

Hey, Dusty!
    You're Alive!
    r

5. I Drag

I Drag

Hey Dusty I see you have already ordered a copy, but FWIW, it is probably easier found as "The Fastest Funny Car". Say hi to Larry Cooke for me.

I only mention this since it's my favorite 'young adult' novel, and I have a mint copy.

36cab has the right info.

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey man, really good to see you here.

7. Ya mean this book,,,I have a bunch of them from the 50s-70s

Attached Files:

8. copyright 1967 mines a 1st printing 1968

9. dusty

dusty

Thats it Meatball. Its been a long time since I have seen that cover. I hated reading in school but I bought every hot rod book that scholastic put out and read them cover to cover again and again until the next time we could order books.
    Thanks for the memory.
    Hey Raven and Kev lets get together and do a little cruise sometime.
    dusty

10. Glad I could help,good to see you on here,I even decided to read it again tonite,,,,,,,,,,

11. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is definitely easier to find the reprint retitled as The Fastest Funny Car. Finding the Green Ghost copy is a good score. I went through my box of old car books and found the following teen books about drag racing.
    Drag Strip (1959) William Campbell Gault
    Hot Rod Road (1968) Carl Henry Rathjen
    Drag Race Driver (1971) James McM. Douglas
    Drag Strip Danger (1972) Ross R. Olney

12. I scored it from the Scolastic book service when I was in school..........just never get rid of car books........Im reading it now,its still a good read

13. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Haha, I was just about to do a post about this old book I have"The Early Days of Automobiles" when I saw it on your picture meatball! I just picked it up and looked in it yesterday after having it for nearly 20 years at least in our house! Lots of info!

14. Rockys Rod Shop

Rockys Rod Shop
    from nj

I have the book under my desk if you read it the camp he takes the car to in the book '' It's up Highway 22 to Clinton and then over to Califon . '' That were my shop is and i even got a 41 Willy's Gasser in the shop. The only camp around here in the 60's or 70's was a nudist camp lol

15. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Yep, Meatball, I`m the same way when it comes to books. Also have Racing Mechanic, By Patrick Williems, Hot Rod Road, (just count, one car stripper, two car strippers....) and The Red Car by Don Sanford, a Sports Car saga set in Colorado. Any More out there?

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

On my shelf, easily reachable:
    "Building and Racing The HOT ROD", Signet 1966, first printing
    "Thunder Road", William Campbell Gault, 1952, Scholastic, 7th printing 1964
    "Hot Rod Rodeo", Robert Sidney Bowen, 1964, Scholastic, 3rd printing 1969
    "High Gear", anthology edited by Evan Jones, 1955, Bantam, 3rd printing 1963
    "The Hot Rod Handbook", Fred Horsley, 1965 American Sports Library, Prentice-Hall 1957
    "Hot Rod", Henry Gregor Felsen, 1950, Bantam 27th printing
    "Speedway Challenge", William Campbell Gault, 1956, Berkley, 8th printing, 1965
    "Drag Strip", William Campbell Gault, 1959, Berkley, 16th printing 1963
    "Thunder Road", William Campbell Gault, 1952, Berkley, 7th printing 1966
    "The Roaring Road", Gene Olson, 1962, Dell, 2nd printing, 1969
    "Street Rod", Henry Gregor Felsen, 1953, Bantam, 23rd printing

and Hot Rod Magazine, 1948-1959 complete. First 6 issues are early Reprints and I have one of them the real McCoy.

17. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I'm too dumb to read and write, only pictures for me. Looks like a cool book though and "The Green Ghost" title beats "The Fastest Funny Car" by a mile. Love the cover graphic too. :)

18. Just as a side note, Larry Cooke & Finnegan return in the book "Racing Mechanic", though Barbara is gone IIRC. It's about NASCAR in the late '60s, & involves the struggle to replace the 427 (called the "425" ) with the Boss 429. Good book, though somewhat different from the Green Ghost.