Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The greatest time to have lived in America?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BAILEIGH INC, Mar 17, 2010.

1. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

i'll have to ask my grandfather.
    he'll be 97 next month.
    sharp as a tack too.

he's seen quite a bit over the decades.

2. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

born '64,30 years too late in the wrong country but ;

'Don't long for something you can't have, like being in another era. Just take the wonders of that era and incorporate those things into your lives today. The cars, the music, the ethics and morals of the 1950's are not unattainable. They just need to be part of your daily choices.'

Thanks Doug.This is how I've tried to live almost my entire life!
    Paul

3. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I think the greatest time to live in America is now.
    Got 2 lil ones to prove it too :)

4. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

:cool:

5. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Born in 1945 in L.A. County hospital and grew up during the 50's and 60's in So. Cal. I wouldn't change it for anything!

6. chevy3755

chevy3755

63 hear...............and glad for today.......i go by the grace of god..........

7. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Perfect time...perfect place :cool:

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

June 3rd, 1837 at 3:44pm. I'm not sure why, I just have a feeling about it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  9. As I watch the country slowly morph into some crazy combination of "Brave New World", "Animal Farm", and "1984" I can't help but think the 50s or 60s would be much nicer and simpler to live in.

10. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Every day I make a conscious effort to recognize that this could be the last day. Not a Gloom and Doom kind of thing, just an awareness that life is short and each day is a gift that, I will, hopefully, not waste.

Whether these are the "Good 'ol Days" is not really all that relevant for me, They are what they are and I just want do everything I can to make sure I'm not pissing them away.

As far as a time in history that is my favorite...I'd have to say late '30s through late '60s. For a lot of reasons, but also because it's the "golden age" of hot rodding, at least as far as I'm concerned.

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Nice. :D Hahaha!

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Definately Atomic era or Mid Century....hell we are still living it.

13. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

My grandfather's lifetime (1882 - 1978). Sort of "the best of times, the worst of times" ... He lived in an era that spanned horses as basic transportation to witnessing man landing on the Moon on live TV and all of the technical and scientific advances that entails. He also lived through America's involvement in four major wars, the Great Depression, the loss of a young wife and child to disease that could have been controlled or prevented 50 years later, the Cold War, the civil rights struggle and way too much history to recount here.

You could debate the point of the greatest time to have lived in America, especially if you are someone other than a middle-class white male, but his time was certainly one of the most interesting!

Having said all that, I'm happy with the time and places that I have lived (born in '45) ... lots of priceless experiences and a lot more positives than negatives.

14. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

I believe that it was when the country was populated by Americans. Not Democrats, Republicans, illegal immigrants (uh, I mean undocumented aliens), not so many radical radicals.

I know that my age is a factor is the following, but I think that computers, the internet, doesn't help. The internet provides instant news to everyone about everything immediately. More than a normal human can absorb without sensory overload leading to some sort of nuttiness. Everybody has a voice, most are full of crap.

Schools taught necessary basics, English, math, history and so on. Teachers had no social or political agenda.

Memories are a fickle thing. We all think the time of our youth was the best. And, it likely was for whoever thinks it is...was...whatever. But, here we are...now. So, we suck it up and move on.

Okay, got to stop now and take my medications!!

(jeesh, I thought he'd never stop!!)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  15. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

I haven't read the thread, but I damn sure hope that I'm not the only one to be here now... the good ol days weren't that great, they were just different. I didn't have to hide under my desk to 'save' me from nuclear mayhem...:eek:

16. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

^^^ I agree!

Get busy living

or

Get busy dying

I choose living!

:)

17. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Just whatever you do, don't make a pact with the devil to send you back to the 20's-60's... he might send you back into the depression days of the 20's as a poor half paralyzed immigrant, or the 30's with polio, or the 40's shipped off to war and killed, or the 50's.... well never mind, nothing crappy happened in the 50's.

Sign me up.

;)

18. Life is good now! For me I've always had a good time, at least it seems that way when I look back on it, I grew up in the '70s and '80s and we seemed to yern for the '50s it's funny to see younger guys say the '80s were cool. Although we did have Ronny in the White House. :D

19. frank spittle

frank spittle

I with you ('44 too). Superman on something new called TV in the early 50s followed by the birth of Rock n Roll, then the automotive manufacturers performance wars, Motorcycle Drag Racing, Street Rodding and Marriage in the sixties, starting a family and a business in the 70s, building a new waterfront house in the 80s, organizing drag racing reunions in the 90s, and giving it back to the government in property and income taxes now and certainly a lot more in the future. There is no period of time I would trade places with. I hope I am wrong but I feel like I have lived the best times America will ever see.

20. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

As long as they have hot showers, I'm in.
    1956 to present. So Cal 1963-1976. Tucson 1996- present.
    Thank you Lord I'm alive and doin fine!

21. awoo23

awoo23

Being under 30 y/o, I can't imagine life without high-speed internet. So I'd say now is the greatest time to live in America.

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Somebody said hot showers.
    Second requirement would have to be after birth control was invented. Women get a lot more horney when they can quit worrying.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  23. I thought you would have picked the "days of the $40 paint job"?

24. wvenfield

wvenfield

25. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

Well...today is good because I HAVE a hot rod...tomorrow...April fools day I have a job interview....at 60 I'm not too thrilled......born in '49 that was a phenominal era of growth and prosperity through the 50's "maturing" in the 60's was beyond belief with the cars, the culture, the technology, the music....zoomed right through the 70's....got to experience California maybe at it's best ....mid 70's...Patty Hearst through the '89 quake.....had 2 great kids....now in Oregon....mostly tough but beautiful place to raise kids....Like Mazooma and others said ....the rest will be the best....just wish my house was paid off...!!!

26. choncho

choncho
    from temecula

I was just daydreamin about this at work the other day. Wish I was 20 in 1960.

27. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Sounds like you did it all........:cool:

28. ive allways thought i was born 20 years too late i was born in 70 (im 40 now how the hell did that happen) ive allways liked stuff older then me from cars ,music, and even people especailly people

the more i sit here reading these posts the more i believe it would have been cool to have been 20 in 70 and then get to really experience what i have lived through alot of stuff has happened in the last 40 years and most of it im oblivious to because of my age at the time it happened

and im sorry but i wholeheartly believe that computers are the downfall of the western civilization they have taken away soo much (that the younger people who never had a day with out the internet will never understand)

as someone else posted if i could be sent back where i think i should have been in 66 i would of been 16 and by 68 i would prolly had gotten a tour through the bad part of southeast asia and maybe not been arouind to see the 70's

GOD is great and he is incontrol and he does know EXACTLY what he's doing so who am i to second guess

29. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

THESE are the Good Old Days.

30. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

anywhere between 1946 and 1974. despite the viet-war the late sixties was the freest america has ever been. it lasted a little bit through the 70's until 1980, then america turned ugly with BIG-GOV telling adults how to live their personal lives. my father, circa 1983, an electrical engineer and rocket scientist was FORCED to take a lie-detector/piss-test just to keep his job. since then things have only gotten worse. now there are over 40,000 SWAT raids per year by gov thugs with flashbangs. it's depressing as hell....

you were making sense up until this statement. people believing in nonsense is what will eventually destroy humanity.