Register now to get rid of these ads!

The greatest kustom kar show in Japan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MAL, Oct 16, 2003.

1. japchris

japchris
    from England

Going back to that piece of mine about the scene here
    - Yes I agree most people buy complete cars that have come from USA, but then they gradually modify them putting their own mark on them.
    I would say alot of the major work like chop tops is done in Pro shops. There are far more pro shops here than in the UK for example, because there is more of a need for them here. Most folk I know with old cars don't have a garage.
    I wouldn't say there are a lot of rich kids, no more than anywhere else in the world. In a lot of cases guys here take out bank loans to own their "dream ride".
    People like Nori and a handful of others are the true home builders in Japan - ground up, body off stuff, done at home. That REALLY is not easy here when everone lives so close together.
    One guy I know of had a fibreglass '32 Ford Coupe body on his rod - took that off and built a roadster body using an A cowl brought back from USA in his luggage and has hand formed the whole of the rear body by hammering sheet steel over a piece of armaco crash barrier and a lot of pie cutting and welding. - He could have made life easier for himself by making it a pick-up or cutting the roof off his Coupe. But thats not what he wanted.
    One thing I'll say for folk here -they know what they want.
    I think the rod scene here is more healthy than its ever been. Yesterday I visited a new shop just opened called "Dynamite Automobile" for my two yearly Tech Inspection of the T.
    The Co-owner recently got hold of an original steel '34 Ford Coupe. Been off the road for a good few years and covered in rat sh*t. It supposedly once belonged to Steve McQueen. Some might say keep it as how Stevey-boy owned it. But this guys a hot rodder, and he's going to do it to his taste 'cos his the one who's going to drive it ! Like I say, they know what they want.

2. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps

somebody has to ask.... WTF is this funky wagon?!? General shape looks like a bug, and are those vented rear quarters for the aircoola? These guys definitely dare to be different...

Attached Files:

3. japchris

japchris
    from England

Sorry MAL, meant to complement you on your excellent photos - much better than my foggy efforts !
    I'll leave my camera at home next timeand just steal your photos off the net instead !

4. I admire the Japanese efforts but many builders make their bikes, kustoms and rods look like caricatures. To much of everything.
    I guess that is a Japanese thing as the same goes with the youth culture, I´ve seen some Japanese rockers that have the same approach too. Be into a "culture" 101%...

5. nori

nori

that's right chris saying. thanks ! [​IMG]

6. Germ

Germ

BIKES and JAPAN
    are LIKE..
    BILLETPROOF and OXY-MORON

they SEEM to go HAND and HAND...

FROM THE BIG "FAG" you were talking about earlier...

7. james

james

Nads-- my old 67' toyota corona. Finally sold it due to parts availability. Probably would be easier now with the internet--this was about 10 years ago.

Attached Files:

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey LDC427 - I'm calm now. You are just wrong - and insulting. Get a clue and start thinking before you spout off these FACTS you seem to know so much about.

[ QUOTE ]
    I never said that they didn't have any talent or anything like that, I like what I see there. So calm down!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
    So in actuallity its not that they are so creative but its just that they have money to burn and most of the owners don't do a damn thing other than write the checks!

[/ QUOTE ]

So which is it? Feel free to spend all the time in the world checking my grammar. I'm on to other things.

And I still say that red Deuce roadster is it. I'm in love with the way that car looks.

9. MAL

MAL

Thanks hamber!
    I read enjoying your precious comment.
    Thanks a lot thanks,thanks... [​IMG]

FrameDragger,I think that there is no event.because...in this time, many kids are working towards the event of Yokohama at the garage. [​IMG]
    http://www.mooneyes.co.jp/photo/hcs03/poster.jpg

Japcriss,I'm sorry to have taken your work. [​IMG]Do you go to Yokohama next month?
    I'm looking forward to being able to meet you,and nori. [​IMG]

RustNeverSleeps,This car received the award from Billy Gibbons(ZZ TOP) in H.C.S last year,is a very famous customized car.
    http://www.toyota.co.jp/Museum/Tam/Car/Subaru/ (stock)

As for me, it's weak to write English.
    but I swear to supply a Japanese kid's pics to HAMB from now on.

10. plan9

plan9

there is a 56 4 dr olds custom pictured, beige.... beautiful car.... small details make it. Domo arigato, MAL-san

ignorant ROUND EYES can eat shit... heard this from a friend of a friend who has a cousin that knows a guy which told him so

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey MAL Great post!!! Do you know what is the deal with the headlite lens?

Happy Trails,

Mick

Attached Files:

12. MAL

MAL

straykatkustoms,I don't know details of this chevy's,sorry... [​IMG]
    May be...it's the product of PARADISE ROAD.
    They introduced it into the DESPERADO('35 Plymouth) first.

Attached Files:

13. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

I'm always way too happy when I get a package from BoneBad(DragTrain) containing several issues of BurnOut and Cruisin'....not only am I treated to flawless photography and pictorial layout, I get to see what you guys are actually referring to on this post....all the event coverage, detailed news, and heavy coverage of the American builders and companies.....Eye-Kandy from Wataru Nakata,who I wish was on this board! And in BurnOut, I get a photo of Von Franco in each issue,ha ha!
    I've been supplying prototypes to Japanese collectors and companies since the late '80s,and yes,when a Japanese collector/customer is ready to do something,it's SERIOUS business....
    Enjoying this post....
    Johnny Ace

14. ray

ray
    from colorado

those light covers look like ordinary prismatic flourescent light covers, look up at the ceiling... build an airtight box with an opening that you can clamp the plastic in, heat in oven, apply a few pounds of air pressure to the box...simple.

15. Donzie

Donzie

Mal, could I have your permission to use some of your photos on my web site? I have a page devoted to just '49-'52 Chevys. It helps people get ideas for their own rides.
    There is some awesome cars here and I'd like to share them.

16. gowjobs

gowjobs

That funky little air-cooled car is a Subaru 360... 2 cylinder twostroke in the hiney. 19hp... I had a van version on it back in the eighties, and I think we hopped mine up to near forty horses.

Those funky headlight covers? I'm betting they're standard street lamp issue... you know like every twenty yards down your block? S'what they look like to me.

GJ

17. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

This truck used to be my buddy John's...
    they lowered the crap out it now though...
    the Japs really do Rule the hotrod, kustom, chopper scene..!!
    'bought' or not...still Ruling..!!

Attached Files:

18. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

I have personally seen some really nice stuff in Japan (Borders in particular)... I do however, have some questions about another "trend" which I find a bit disturbing there... The Cartoon Character Stickers are "unique".

Attached Files:

19. repoguy

repoguy

20. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Damn! I never thought to look at bike shops there!!! I know what I am doing next trip!

21. MAL, great post. Feel free to post pictures anytime. True passion and dedication show no bounderies.