Register now to get rid of these ads!

History THE GREATEST DRAG RACE August 7th 1965

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Aug 6, 2012.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

I am still working on this book but have decided, since this will definitely be the only book I write, to delay it until next year which will be the 50th anniversary of "The Greatest Drag Race". One reason is because of my desire to use unpublished photos and the lack of finding many. If you know anyone who was there and took pictures I would like to talk to them. My cell phone # is 704 892 8008.

Frank Spittle

dearjose likes this.
  2. frank spittle

frank spittle

I am back to work on this book and will have it finished for next year's 50th anniversary celebration of "The Greatest Drag Race". Joel Naprstek will do the cover artwork.
    This book will be about much more than that one day on August 7th 1965. It will also be about the decade long manufacturers racing war that led up to that day and most important how the racers got to the point in their lives that they were there driving those unbelievable cars. This is a story too great to be lost in history.
    It has been very rewarding gathering information for this book. Some of the stories are beyond belief ....but true. The York US 30 Reunion next year will focus on that race. Darwin Doll's goal is to have as many of the original racers and spectators as possible there. Darwin will be in this book on several occasions. He was NHRA's division director for York US 30 Dragway and was there.
    I am still looking for unpublished pictures taken that day. If you can help put me in touch with someone who was there with a camera I would appreciate it.

3. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

Frank - thanks for putting the effort into saving the memories of this historic event. Who will publish and distribute your book? Also, be sure to tell us when orders will start to be taken.

As a side note, have you considered waiting to publish until after the event and include a chapter on the 50th? It may be a wash as far a book numbers go, as I'm sure they would sell like hotcakes if you had the printed book at the 50th with a few signed copies ready to go!

Just food for thought, and thanks again for taking the time to record this awesome event (from a guy with a '65 Coronet ;) )

4. frank spittle

frank spittle

It would be nice to have the 50th anniversary as a part of the book but this is an expensive endeavor and as you said it should sell well at the reunion.
    I don't have a publishing company involved as far as getting it printed and distributed. I feel like it would be a waste of time pitching this story because of the limited market. Like the Super Stock Reunions I organized that are leading to this book I will do it because of my passion and hope it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg in the long run. But regardless this will be my contribution to the sport I have always loved.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Muttley

Muttley

I cant wait to get a copy of this.

6. frank spittle

frank spittle

An update on the book. I have worked on it almost every day for the last 90 days and am very pleased with the progress. I passed 10,000 words last night. I have done numerous interviews to add to the numerous interviews already done over the last 25 years and researched the books and magazines in my collection. This book will list every factory high performance engine option by every American automobile manufacturer that included fuel injection, supercharging or multiple carbs built up to 1965.
    There are many powerful engine options available today by many different manufacturers, engines as powerful as the ones back in the day. But what is lacking is the culture. Those of us that lived those days lived in a pure car culture that will never be repeated. Not everyone liked hot rods or custom cars. What everyone did like was a car....period. Our 16th birthday was the most important in our lives. A drivers license gave us our independence.

A drivers license is not nearly as important to 16 year olds today because there is very little car culture compared to 50 years ago. There is so much more to do for today's youth.. This book will capture the importance of cars and the culture during those years that lead up to that race and hopefully record it accurately for those who read it 100 years from now.

550Coupe likes this.
  7. Me too. Looking forward to this!

8. biscaynes

biscaynes

BTTT....anyone...pictures?

9. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks biscaynes,
    It's time to update you on the book anyway. When I started writing it I was planning to cover a period of about 10 years of automobile racing. 1965, the year of the race and the 10 years preceding it. 1955 to 1965 were some of the greatest. I personally believe it was the best decade. Then I started doing research of racing in the 1940s, which I knew little about, and was amazed at what I ran across. I thought it should be in the book too. Then the 1940s information included some 1930s stuff.......well I have had a wonderful and learning experience doing research on racing back to the very beginning in 1895 and this book will cover as much as I can get in one book. The first 70 years. I have been interested in racing for over 50 years and thought I knew a lot but I didn't. It will be one of the most informative book of it's kind and written chronologically. If you are only interested in the "The Greatest Drag Race" you can skip through the first part. But you will be missing out on some facts I found intriguing. We know it's a small world when it comes to racing but in the beginning there were less than 100 men responsible for the birth of the automobile industry and they all found out how important racing was to surviving as a manufacturer very quickly.

And yes, I still need pictures.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  10. Can't wait! Please let us know when it is available and thank you for some of the best nostalgia events that I ever went to. Your reunions in Virginia not only got me back into old cars and racing but also lit a fire in my young son's mind.

11. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks for your comments wrayman. I really enjoyed getting to know you guys and am pleased to know it created young new nostalgia fans.

12. I would love to have and read the book. I was born and raised 40 min from york US 30 drag way. I have great memories of being there as a kid. Saw all the greats run there. The track closed the year before I got my drivers license !

13. axe grinder

axe grinder

Really looking forward to the book Frank, I was there ( SS Nationals) in 69. Just 13 years old and a big Sox + Martin fan. I got one of those big STP " Welcome Race Fans" banners off the fence and it hung in my room for years.

14. The Ramcharger

The Ramcharger
    from SC

Mr. Spittle;

I was at that race and am glad you are producing a book on it. I do not have any photos
    but I have some side bits of information. We drove all night from Chicago- well worth it. When will your WEB page be up?

15. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

The Nascar Winter nationals race in Deland during the 1967 Nascar Speedweeks was right up at the top too. being as it was winter, every heavy hitter with factory cars was there and it was cold and humid

16. frank spittle

frank spittle

The Ramcharger, I am still doing research for the book. I did not get it finished for the York Reunion this year which was the 50th anniversary but was there and made contacts with guys who were there and took pictures. I have some good ones to put in the book but still need more. I will get a web page up in hopes of finding more pictures. I am almost finished with the research but it will take time to get it in print. I want to get the book finished ASAP but it will be sometime next year at the earliest.

wraymen likes this.
  17. The Super Stock Nationals, TheGreatest Drag Race August 7, 1965 indeed! I drove there from Ohio to York Pa. with 4 other 19-20 year old friends and actually paid to get in! Wish i had one of those ticket stubs now! I know we had cameras, so photos were taken but were still looking! Thank you Frank for all your Hard work and devoted efforts keep the faith and your reward will be there! (image is myself and Mike Pado) Can hardly wait!

Attached Files:

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks. I am still doing research and need more pics.

19. Frank any updates?

20. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Curious as well, a huge undertaking writing a book. I would order one if they are available.

21. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks for your continued interest. I am still working on the book but it has become much more than I expected trying to go back to cover the beginning of automobile racing. I still feel it is essential to cover the importance of the 70 years of racing leading up to that race. I have enjoyed the research for this book as much as I did organizing the Super Stock, A/FX and Funny Car Reunions for those two decades (which has led to this book) and am not under the pressure from a publishing company to get it done so I will continue on. I am nearly 75 so I realize time is not on my side. It will definitely be the only book I write but hope it will be a small contribution to racing, something I have loved for as long as my memory goes back but more importantly prevents the 1965 Super Stock Magazine Nationals from being lost in history. It is too important for that to happen.

Chucky and Offset like this.
  22. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Thanks for the update.