Register now to get rid of these ads!

History THE GREATEST DRAG RACE August 7th 1965

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Aug 6, 2012.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

I am in the final stages of writing a book about the first Super Stock Nationals at York US 30 Dragway on August 7th 1965. Some of you were there! Most of us drag racing fans who were NOT there know the legendary status of this race that almost 50 years later is still considered the greatest one day drag race ever. Super Stock Magazine had been in business less than a year when they teamed up with track promoter Bill Holtz to put on the race that all other like races in the future would be judged by. Many of the racers who competed in it were at one or more of the 15 Super Stock Reunions I organized in the '80s and '90s and I did interviews with many for this book. If you were there and have unpublished pictures you took I am looking for some to finish out what I already have available. I hope to have this book finished by the Spring of '13. If you were a racer or spectator at York US 30 on August 7th, 1965 please post your memories of this incredible event.

2. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Frank, your S/S reunions were some of the best shows I have been to. We miss going to them.

3. Muttley

Muttley

Must acquire this book.

4. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I would also be interested in the book.

What a wonderful era to be growing up in.

Sometimes I live more in the past then the present who at least that is what my wife's says.

Jimbo

5. oj

oj

Great project Frank, you'll do it justice. I know a guy or two that would have been there but, as you've figured out, the racers back then could care less about cameras and pictures. I'll ask around in the odd chance that there is somebody around here taht you haven't already talked to.

6. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks for all the kind comments guys. I will do my best to capture the full story with pictures of the race, a race no one expected to have lasting memories...much less be considered the best ever. I know some of you don't understand all the hoopla. Just wait until some of the guys who were there recall their memories.

7. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Was it just uper Stock cars ? Any b or a/fx or any other classes ?

8. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Sounds like a great book, I'm definitely in for a copy

9. pastlane

pastlane

One of the many posters I offered through Past Lane Auto.

B&W lifted from one of my old catalogs. Actual poster had spot color (red, yellow IIRC).

I always had a good time at your events Frank.

Attached Files:

• york.jpg
      york.jpg
      File size:
      26.8 KB
      Views:
  10. Boss 302 Mustang

Boss 302 Mustang
    from Duxbury MA

6t5frlane, every big name funny car , A/FX and legal s/s and s/sa car was there!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  11. frank spittle

frank spittle

You have to be at least 60 years of age to appreciate the incredible joy that the year 1965 brought to us diehard drag racing fans. Jack Chrisman had stunned the hugh crowd at the NHRA U.S. Nationals at Indy on Labor Day weekend 1964 with his supercharged nitro burning '64 Comet, probably the most awesome race car ever built, but it didn't get much magazine coverage until the winter of '64-'65. We wanted to see more and by the time the Super Stock Nationals came along in August there were many racers experimenting with nitro that didn't know shit about it. Bob Harrop, who won the unlimited class with his Altered Wheelbase '65 Dodge, told me in an interview that he had just started using nitro but was running about 90% that night. He told me he lost a cylinder in the semis and didn't think he had a chance. But the car ran almost the same ET and speed in the final as the previous rounds. The 90% is what made the difference he believes. He has the honor of winning what today is considered the first major Funny Car race.

12. Frank, if the book is as good as your fuel bike stories on The Jockey Journal, it will be great!

13. KremerOtha

KremerOtha
    from london

I would also be interested in the book[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Race Artist

Race Artist

Hello Frank,
    I'm looking forward to the book.
    I was at the first S/S Nationals and it was all that people have said and more. We weren't there for the entire day but arrived late afternoon as the sun was getting low in the sky. We attended the warm-up meet in May 1965 at York where the rules and classes were first tried out and made sure that we were at York on 8-7-1965 for the big one.
    There was a story on the S/S Nationals in SS&DI back around the time you were doing the reunions ... we are in one of the crowd pictures. I don't have that issue anymore or I'd scan and post the picture.
    Joel

15. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

I can appreciate what your saying. No matter how many reunions you go to, it only happened once. I was 10 years to late but thanks to memories as a little kid and the efforts from guys like you to record these events its the next best thing. Look forward to the book! Thanks!

16. Peterson32

Peterson32

very cool i have to know more!

17. i attended several of franks reunions and always had a blast. i was born in 66 so i missed it the first time around. but due to frank i met my heroes and heard their stories first hand. i was so blown away with what i saw it was like there was this whole world i was missing. the experience changed my life. i built my own blown nitro altered wheel base car to see for myself what it was like to race these cars. when talking to beswick one day he said you dont know what it was like to race on tracks down south they were terrible. well i started racing on tracks all over down south. he was right they were a challenge to get down. we had fun see avatar taken at george rays hot rod wild cat drag strip paragould ak. thanks frank im in for a book and thanks to all who share their stories and photos for a guy who wasnt there it helps out in understanding the greatest era in drag racing

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

I was pleasantly shocked the first year you showed up with your AWB Dodge. It did bring back memories of the Gary Dyer driven supercharged nitro burning Mr. Norm's '65 Dodge. And you put on a hell of a show with it Brian.

19. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

We would be very interested in selling the book, as it sounds just like something our customers would really want. Jim at Supercar Collectibles 763/425-6020

20. Hi Frank, My father in law is Bill Holz. I have forwarded this page to him. He may or maynot contribute that's up to him, but he and Monk were the guys that created the race that all other's will allways be compared to.

21. storm king

storm king

Frank, My brother Bill was at the first S/S Nationals, and he actually paid for his tickets! How can we get his rememberences to you?
    (Jon Lundberg, who announced at that event, also wants some input from him, since Jon got us a deal, and more importantly, moved up in line for a new Ramchargers S/S hemi engine after we put a rod through the side of the block in our Bill Stiles motor in '68, when Jon was announcing for Frank at Connecticutt Dragway).

22. frank spittle

frank spittle

Can you pm me Bill's phone #. I tried to get in touch with him, Monk and Jim Davis back when I was organizing the S/S Reunions but Davis was the only one out of the three I could reach. Hotz is one I need in the book. I know Reynolds has passed and I interviewed Davis. For you who are wondering, Monk Reynolds and Jim Davis co-founded Super Stock Magazine and Bill Holz was the York US 30 track promoter. Those three are the ones responsible for THE GREATEST DRAG RACE.

By the way, I had dealings with Bill over 40 years ago when he and ex-wife Alice Ann promoted the Charlotte Custom Car Show. It was the first show I entered the car in my avatar.

23. frank spittle

frank spittle

I would love for your brother to post his memories here but if that is not doable pm me his phone #. I would like his recollections in the book.

When I started the Super Stock Reunions I hired Jon Lundberg to announce the events. He knew every drag racing legend on earth and did interviews with over 100 that we have recorded. He was an important part of the original '65 Super Stock Magazine Nationals and also a big part of the S/S Reunions and will be recognized throughout the pages of the book recalling his memories. We have literally spent hours talking about THE original race and how insane it was trying to keep order and as the announcer he felt like it was part of his duties. I am sure we will talk many more times before the book is finished. HEY JON........you are on the HAMB. Tell us some of your memories.

I hope your brother Bill took pictures.

24. Race Artist

Race Artist

Frank,
    You need to get on Facebook, look up Full Size Flyers and/or Match Race Madness to find the contact for some great pit photos of the S/S Nationals.
    Joel

25. Race Artist

Race Artist

26. SuperJim

SuperJim
    from Minnesota

This one?

[​IMG]
    Even the deck lid...
    [​IMG]
    Frank, if you do sell in bulk we are interested.
    Jim - Supercar Collectibles 763/425-6020

27. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

28. biscaynes

biscaynes

please post here when the book is in print :)

29. Race Artist

Race Artist

Frank,
    I thought I had your private email but I don't ... so I'm posting the art of you on your Freight Train here for you ...
    Joel

Attached Files:

30. Race Artist

Race Artist