Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Great Race

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sic-nic, Jul 1, 2012.

1. sic-nic

sic-nic

Went to the great race that stopped in watertown n.y. on wednesday. corky coker was the mc and drove an old indy's racer. the cars that were in the race ranged from 1905 to 1969. there were speedsters, '32 fords' boattails and many more makes i can't remember. pretty cool to see those cars still make a long journey like that. it started in michigan and went around the great lakes. pretty kool.

2. noboD

noboD

I got to see it when it went through here last summer. Looks like fun, but very expensive entry fee.

3. sic-nic

sic-nic

sure is! $5000.00-$7000.00 to enter. lots of doctors were in it!

4. ezdusit

ezdusit

When this year's event was first announced, the entry fee for individuals was $2,500. After that initial period it went up to $4,000 for individuals and $5,000 for corporate/business entries according to their Website. Much of the entry fee money goes to the pool of prize money. Next year there will be some $150,000 in prize money. I've been blessed to have participated 5 times with a friend who has paid the entry fee. As he says, "It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!"

5. sic-nic

sic-nic

sorry for no pic's larry. i could'nt down load them off of my phone!

6. swi66

swi66

Here's a link to my Photo's of the Great Race 2012 at the Buffalo stop.
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/583037702nnPtOC

It starts with some above shots from the balcony of the Buffalo Transportation Museum, but got into the individual cars later in the album.

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Hey if you're runnin Ford power do you know you can get a Great Race Crate Flathead from Jack Rousch??? Kinda takes the home built reliability question out of the equation.

We say the group in Watertown also, There was some local interest as a team from Baldwinsville NY runsa chevy coupe out of their auto repair business. Like a lot of things, this ha become a big business and no place for ametures.

The North East Rally Club has a couple events, Pumpkin run inthe fall in Deleware will be a similarly caontested event with more room for the ameture in a vintage car.

http://www.northeastrallyclub.com/