Register now to get rid of these ads!

"The great race" info wanted.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scooter, Jun 26, 2004.

1. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

Just curious if anyone knows what happened to the event "THE GREAT RACE" ?? I used to love that part of goin to the la roadster show and seein these bitchin old racers cross the desert w/ us .Even got chances to speak w/ the racers while they gassed up .I did not see them this year.
    Also are they still doing the pony express flat out wide open race ? Again just curious if these 2 events are still goin on .Thanks .

2. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

3. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

4. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

Thanks old chevy ! [​IMG] wow 218 on the road at the pony express !nice write up .You must have better search luck than i do .I remember one year goin to the roadster show the great race was going on and we were passin these vintage cars .I spy one on the side of the road broke down .All he needed was a hunk of wire and some simple tools , which i was happy to provide .They were on thier way in no time and gave me a patch and a praise and thanks , for stoppin to help .The support rig was still 20 min's behind them when they pulled out .Talk about a reliablity run . [​IMG] [​IMG] glad to see its still goin on .

5. Funny you posted this question. The Pikes Peak Hill Climb was this weekend and they had a little event downtown for it. The cars that are participating in The Great Race were involved in it. It was cool seeing all these old cars that started in Jacksonville and were going all the way to Monterey. They had been on the road for 7 days so far. Got to talk to some of the car owners and it was pretty interesting. Asked some of the guys what their top speeds were and was suprised at some of their answers.

sled

6. ray

ray
    from colorado

yeah sled, i checked out the cars downtown friday after seeing a flick, also went to the hill climb yesterday, worst weather for the hill climb if decades! just my luck! they ended up finishing with only half a course. bummer.

i also got a chance to show "no love" to my favorite "bike builder" who for some gawd awful reason they let be the first one to race up pikes peak.

back to the great race, i really wish i had brought my camera with me, MANY of the cars were basically good old fashoned hot rods. sure they had speedster bodies, bud old ford parts is old ford parts! its great to see some really valuable(i ain't talkin about the fords now!)old cars flogged like they were meant to be!

7. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

well searching is a simple task if you dont ask to much in the search engine box. i use google the i go the home page above the search box ,i click on more and the all kinds of sections come up click on directory,then sports, then motorsports,the nyou choose waht else on the next page , i have yet to not find a link or asnswer to an event or picture of something or a car mag article,,works for me http://directory.google.com/Top/Sports/Motorsports/