Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Great Fifty Seven Chevy post

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Hey John.... You got anymore pics of that bright orange one with the 306???.... I can't seem to take my eyes off of it... :):eek:
    It sure is pretty!! It's got the right stance in my book... :D:):D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. Roscoe7

Roscoe7

3. Rusty

Rusty

Great pics!!!!!!

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Crap! I could see myself with a dilemma if I did find a decent '57... I'm supposed to want a straight axle gasser type car, and I probably would. But damn, scrape posted that picture of the black '57 with 210 trim and black steel wheels... All except the painted front bumper.

5. ehrawn

ehrawn
    from Oahu

Judging by the examples posted, I’m probably going to take some heat for this but, I don’t get gassers. I get why gassers existed… weight transfer and all that… but I don’t get why anyone would choose to make their car look like that when we have the tools to make a car go faster and get better traction all within that beautiful body. I’m all for preserving drag cars with a little bit a history. I like seeing them in museums and on the track, but if you’re going to cut up a car, it should be done to make it look lower, smoother, faster and cleaner. Here’s a couple examples I found on the H.A.MB.

[​IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  6. I agree. My '55 was an original gas class drag car in the 60's... and they put the original front suspension under it, after having a solid axle front end.

So... it would run faster.

And with my '57... I am really striving for the perfect 60's traditional street car... and it will probably be stock height.

No fuss, no muss... and very streetable.

That said, I like the looks of straight axle cars done right.

Not too many of them "nail" the look.

The wheels and tires are either all wrong... or the front tires stick out too wide... or, a zillion other "violations" are commited.

But they ARE fun to look at... just not my thing.

What I DO like to see is a solid axle car that runs hard.

That, I can respect.

Or, one that is very well detailed.

That red hardtop with the wheel missing... looks like a show car... was probably not that fast, but man, is it purdy... and with the wheels turned sideways and all that caster... it just ooozes cool!

I guess it boils down to... straight axle or not... it takes a mixture of the right elements, colors and splash of chrome to get it "right".

Just my two-cents.

Carry on, I really dig ALL these cars... even if they aren't the way I would build them.

Sam

7. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Well said Sam! I agree as well, although the same can be said for every niche of car culture (the missing or wrong ingredients) from customs to hot rods. I think when a 57 can look as bitchin as that light blue custom , how could anything else cross your mind??? sure seems racing or race inspired cars are gaining popularity. I think trends are actually following the original progression of things! Uh carry on, glad I opened this thread..

8. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

the one on the bottom left is mine. and its for sale.

9. I am enjoying this thread. I thought I would share pictures of mine. Both are as found survivors. Keep it up!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
    bowie likes this.
  10. Sam, here is a very wicked looking little '57 for inspiration......:)

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  11. That's WICKED.. John! :D

Sam

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

That was at pigeon forge at the Rod Run a few years ago.

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

reminds me of that old model kit they used to sell. Anyone remembers those old Wen-Mac 57 Chevy gassers? I had a red one with a driver and a gas engine. Red was the most common color but they also came in black, yellow, and blue. Not all had the driver and some were battery powered, some had a wind-up motor, and then ones like mine with a gas engine.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  14. In 1994 at the age of 14 I was hot to buy a car.

I had $500 and it was burning a hole in my pocket... I needed a car!

We had gone to look at a chopped Model A coupe... a nice body, home brewed frame... dropped axle, 9" rear... and the guy worked at a glass shop and said "I like kids, I'll throw in all the glass for free!"

My dad said it was too much work. :(

We then looked at a '55 Chevy that was way out of my price range... $2000.

A Bel Air 2dr hard top... black, T&R, Vette 327 (aren't they all?)... and a 4 speed.

"Dream on..."

I then spotted a '57 in the Modesto Bee classified's... under "Classic Cars".

$300.

I went to look at it... nice straight car, in primer... no motor, Olds rear, aluminum door panels... buckets... Center Lines... McCreary tires out back.

But when my dad saw the radiused fender wells... he said "That thing is ruined... you'll never fix that!"

A few weeks later... I found a nice '55 210 in my price range... $550... and the work began!

Fast forward to 2009... I was at the Kingdon Drags racing my '55 when I struck up a conversation with my buddy Jeff (who I've only known for five years) from Modesto when I relayed the above story to him.

He comes back with "Really? That was ME who was selling that car! I have pictures I'll send you!"

He sent the pics via e-mail when he got home... and I was blown away!

The exact same car, in the exact same condition, as I remembered it.

This is what $300 would have bought you in 1984... less motor and trans, of course!

Sam

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff out on Finch Road... He yanked the motor out and sold the car shortly after these pics were taken. A local guy bought it, and "fixed" the radiused fender wells! DOH!! :D
    [​IMG]

Gasser 57 likes this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

[
    QUOTE=bscottstudio;7081088]This one is pure 1974, cause its what I had then.[/QUOTE]
    My hair was that long once also....... :rolleyes:

16. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

What I don't get is why anyone in their minds would french in quad lights on a 57 Chevy? I like 'em high, I like 'em low, but those Kustom Things with quads look like really strange. Cruiserskirts are a no go on any car for me.... And I think Tri Chevys are more suited to Hot Rods than Kustoms, but there is alway exeptions. And different tastes make different cars, and so there's different ideas that come up. And that's good

My not so special original 1970's Texas built 302 4Speed 57 that I have for years. It is simple and I just like it, and won't change exept for different tires, and maybe slot wheels. It's worn a bit but that's cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bowie and Deuces like this.
  17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

What I don't get is why anyone would want a near stock-bodied '57 Chevy...

That interior is so...uh...1970's...!!!

R-

18. slammed

slammed

Gator, I agree. The '57 you have is not pastel, thank God. And without tweed.

19. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

Me! Why should I change sth. that's really good? And I have other Tri Chevys that are a bit wilder... so this one can be more like it is...

70's? Yes It is all original 70's built. And so am I! Born in 74, played with Matchbox and Hot Wheels, listened to Waylon Jennings and Jerry Reed. Now I have big sideburns, long hair, drive a 79 red Trans Am with the screamin' Chicken and a 74 Ford F 250 Truck as daily drivers. I like it that way! 70's rule! ;) So do 60's and 50's etc. etc. ;)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  20. Sam, I always liked the "GREEN ONION" tunnel rammed 427CI. powered Big Block '57 Chevy..........:)

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  21. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

22. gator , i like your 57 its refreshing to see a 70's street machine now and again

23. Edelbroke

Edelbroke
    BANNED

Here's one I had a few years ago. It was rough when I got it and rough when I sold it. The flamed paint job was old. It had a tilt front end that fell off the first time I opened it. That was a sign of more bad things to come...

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  24. slammed

slammed

^^^These are the cars you can go out a whip on 'em hard. No prima-donna.^^

25. scrape

scrape

hate to highjack but id like to see more pics of gator mc kluskys 59 el camino..

26. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

It's been seen here, but here u go, a few won't hurt I guess ;)

No 70's Style here ;) Will change the wheels for old TT's with the sharp edge or Keystone Rouges next spring... car comes from California. Anyone knows who had it before? I bought it in Sweden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the off topic. Here for the 57en guys: ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Heo2

Heo2

Love your 57 gator thats the way cars loked when i was young....
    goodamed i want to be young again I almost got tears in my eyes when i saw it

28. airmentbob

airmentbob
    from san diego

you did good, any two door car from the chevy is allright, if it's a classic

but yeah, as you originally posted that 55's are hot rods and 57's are cars to get chicks. the 57's got bullets for a reason. you get one bird on a 55. cool car none the less

29. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

Thanks Heo. Makes me proud. I want to keep her in that style!

Actually it isn't really so typical 70's. There are no real 70's parts on. Could be a late sixties built also. The steering wheel is 65 Chevy and all the other stuff like the crazy seats covers were done in the 60's too. These buckets came out in 69 I think.

I like the color a lot. In real it is just perfect I think. I might remove the bumper for kicks for a while, and put Ansens back on. When I first saw the car they were on. When I bought the car about 18 years later there were 80's mags on. I put on old five spokes I had layin' around. Like em, but I like to try those Ansens....
    Shame I lost an old picture I had...

Here on from above a bit lighter...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  30. Damn Gator... I like your... car.

Sam