Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Good Old Days

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by denis4x4, Dec 30, 2020.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Pulled this quote from a WSJ essay on nostalgia and it seems to fit HAMB members perfectly:

This kind of nostalgia has neurological roots. Researchers have found that we encode more memories during adolescence and early adulthood than any other period of our lives, and when we think about the past, this is the period we most often return to. What’s more, as we grow more distant from past events, we tend to remember them more positively.

Happy New Year

LOU WELLS, Baumi, KKrod and 8 others like this.
  2. We are actually living the good ol days, most just don't know it yet.

3. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

I'm old and the days are good so I guess I'm living in the good old days.

4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

When you get to a certain age, everyday you wake up is a good day, old or otherwise.
    It’s all good.

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Amen to that!!

hemihotrod66 and Deuces like this.
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

MMMnnn :rolleyes:

Let's see...
    The smell of Mama's cooking.
    The first big fish you caught.
    The smell of your grandmother's perfume when she hugged you.
    Making that walk down the isle one Sunday
    Shooting your Dads pistol with him for the first time.
    That special Christmas when you got what you wanted
    That first car
    The sound of that V8
    The eyes of that girl you ask out and she says yes
    First Kiss
    First other things
    Seeing your child come into the world
    Yep....These are things to remember
    or...
    Last month when you had an emergency on the toilet because you ate too much cheese.o_O

7. catdad49

catdad49

I still get flashbacks, do they count?!

8. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Nothing about 2020 will ever be considered the good old days.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Getting your first one of these at 12 years old, the iconic 76 Union antenna ball.
    Then it turned ìnto an addiction, those things got stuck on EVERYTHING all over this little kids hometown.
    upload_2020-12-30_10-34-33.png

Got my minibike at 13, started a path of financial destruction that lasts to this day.
    Made by Ben Hunt Mfg. in Walla Walla (yes) Washington, had a Mac-10 go kart engine.
    It was the fastest mini in my group of young hellraisers.

41 GMC K-18, USMercUte and Deuces like this.
  10. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

These are the good old days....wait....wasn't that in a Carly Simon song??

hemihotrod66 and Deuces like this.
  11. Romanceofcrime

Romanceofcrime

Let’s get out of 2020 and get back into the good ol days!

Deuces likes this.
  12. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I'd be content with go ol' 2019....

Deuces and Budget36 like this.
  13. I consider my youth in San Francisco, 1956-1958 to be my best memories.

Deuces likes this.
  14. I personally don't think these are the good ole days of the future. My opinion is everything seems to be going downhill fast.
    But ....we will see. Only I probably won't be around then to judge it.

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are right now! I have more spending $$ than I ever had when I worked. I have more time to spend in my garage working on what I enjoy; and I get to watch my garage/cable TV every afternoon on the western channel when The Big Valley comes on and I get to see Linda Evans when she was 19.....;)
    I also have a garage light my son bought me with blue tooth speakers to listen to Sirius 50-60’s radio any time I want using my I-Phone.... New s**t ain’t half bad.

16. My Dad used to say: " They weren't the good old days, just the old days, there wasn't much good about them." Being born in 1906 and living through the dust bowl/depression (which lasted for years in the Plains states), WW II and all the trials and tribulations that accompanied all that, I sure understand what he meant. As the pictures posted on this thread indicate, there was terrible economic disparity in the earlier years, just like today.... the "haves" don't realize (or care) how much the "have nots" don't have.....sad.

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

2020 got old real fast..

18. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

^^^ good link

Deuces likes this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I was born nostalgic.

Deuces, mad mikey and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Denis,

Nice find on the article. It was not necessarily the early adult hood that made life grand, but meeting someone you were going to share the rest of your life with through thick and thin. The idea of being able to do just about anything you wish to do, travel with a fabulous companion, seeing eye to eye on most things, and being alone with her, made it possible. The So Cal coastal location was also a big part of just being. It took you away from all of the hustle and bustle of the big cities and metropolitan areas. Trying to create a niche for our young lives was worth it.

Those were the eye opening, brain remembering things that will continue to pop up in our conversations and memory banks. Any photos of that time period accentuate the idea that we had a heck of a ride along the way. Maybe it was the repression from our parents that made us go out into the big world with eyes wide open and absorb what we enjoyed. For us, it was a new world order and our lives were just scratching the surface to try and get where we thought it should take us.

Jnaki

So, for us, being college students, able to travel all over So Cal, then expanding our horizons to include Baja, Mexico and Northern California made the chase all more rewarding. Then as a newly married couple, independence and freedom was the utmost enjoyable items that we had together. New friends, new places to go, and new horizons were all in front of us back then.
    upload_2021-1-10_5-17-27.png Vnak photo
    Those last years of college, the chase, the newly together stage, and the adventures we created together were the ones that we remember the most. If someone was able to turn the clock back, it was that time period between 1966 to 1975 living the ultimate So Cal coastal life that would be in the forefront. There were hot rods, surfing and motorcycling along with rock music and great traveling destinations. It was a lifestyle all set in place for us twenty somethings with the whole world (and life) ahead of us.
    upload_2021-1-10_5-14-17.png
    125k miles worth of excitement and tons of fun, caps that time period.

Don’t get the wrong idea and hopefully any psychologists reading the information will have their own opinions as to what, where and why. But for us, that time period was the peak of our long standing relationship and it made us stronger to go against just about any form that lay ahead for us.
    upload_2021-1-10_5-15-8.png
    Now, that we are in the future and against some powerful world wide pandemic viruses, the bond is what makes us stronger.

Happy New Year... Stay safe

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bingo Trent! So much of our lifestyles, college football, daily life tools, entertainment options, college football, the homes we live in, world travel options, college football, ease of finding & purchasing the stuff we want, advanced medical knowledge, college football, paying bills online and online banking, the ability to work from home (non-covid related), I mean this is a really long list! (Please refrain from the urge to get political)

23. thomas.parker197

thomas.parker197

We aren't far enough in to 2021 to say that. Remember when we still had food and electricity?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Deuces and moparboy440 like this.
  24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"If you want to bring back the good old days, just turn off the air conditioning."

(Or the heat, depending.)

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The good old days for me is when I was 13 to 18 and going with my dad and uncle to all the old junkyards getting parts for my 37 Chevy p/u,my dads 39 Plymouth and 55 Ford and my uncles 40 Ford 2 door sedan. Every time I hear music from that era my mind goes back to those day and I had the best time of my life then,nothing in the last 15 years will be considered the good old days.

Deuces, 41 GMC K-18 and Truck64 like this.
  27. Norris McCarty

Norris McCarty
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree with those that say “today” is the good old days, however, growing up in the shop of my dad’s Ford dealership in the 50s and 60s is priceless. I’ve so many images of those days etched in my brain.....wouldn’t trade it for anything.

28. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I consider every "yesterday" the good ole days...and today is the good "new" day.

The secret to happiness (for me) is to be grateful for what you have. I've had a great life, with very few regrets...and certainly have a hell of a lot "more" than I deserve:D

29. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-9-8_3-49-4.png
    Hello,

Where can anyone go to see and buy old hot rods on display? Over the years, there have been memorable hot rod lots in So Cal. The one that stands out and is mentioned in Kustomrama, is Custom City in old southern, Los Angeles. They are gone now as time have changed. But, the idea of a place to go to actually see something that was affordable and possible purchase as the next thing sure seemed like fun.

Recently, I was looking at an old Drag News from 1958 and found this ad for Custom City on 1414 Manchester Blvd in Los Angeles. Perhaps, one of you photo program experts can clear up the image. I even tried a colorization program to no success.

The current corner is a McDonald’s fast food outlet listed at 1406.W. Manchester Blvd. The corner complex lot is large and adjoining the lot that could have been the original Custom City Offices and Showroom.

upload_2022-9-8_3-51-36.png
    Currently, the next building is listed as 1426 W. Manchester Blvd. So, the Custom City Lot was on the corner and adjoining lot on Manchester. There are also homes adjoining the back of the McDonalds lot, like in all of the Custom City lot photos.
    upload_2022-9-8_3-54-14.png

Jnaki

Sorry, the ad was in a 1958 Drag News and I cannot find a clearer copy of it anywhere on the internet. The whole location in the early 50s was a nice neighborhood. There were a lot of old hot rod shops, Berardini Bros., Harrell Brothers, and Joe Itow’s shop in the same area of South Los Angeles. The whole area now has the moniker of “South Central.”

As rare as the Custom City photo and ad is, there is another photo floating around that has a Custom City building in the background. It is in black and white, but for the life of my continual search, I cannot find it. It may have been on one of the massive photo threads with no identification or background story. Old photos are nice, but facts give it some life we can all relate to from back in those historic times.

If anyone finds the specific photo of the Custom City building photo, it is not the one on Manchester, but somewhere in a different area of Los Angeles. Please post it or send it to me via PM. Thanks…

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  30. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, and today is the present. That's why its called a gift.