Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Gentleman's Coupe...Bob Hilton is busy again.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Sep 23, 2014.

1. daddio211

daddio211

That's it? That's enough to keep wind and rain out? I would have expected something much more elaborate. Sometimes simple really is best!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. wex65

wex65
    from WV

It is indeed simple, I think the rib in the metalwork is key. The poppers are inside that rib and hold the roof down onto the rib itself, creating the seal. That and the level of stiffness of the roof material...

daddio211 likes this.
  3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

wex65;
    congrats on such a great car. i saw your car in trj before i found it here on the HAMB as i actually just joined a couple weeks ago having surfed it for the last couple years. I was drooling over your car and the other Hilton builds in the publication. Really like all the choices you made and has given me a lot of good ideas on my build which is just about to start. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/30-ford-5-window-coupe-build.995152/#post-11213508
    This will be my first rod build which I will be doing the majority of the work myself. Have a 68 Camaro that I did the build on so no stranger to builds, just not the older stuff. would love to see pics of the trunk finished and under the dash on the wiring if you are cool with that. Always like to see how other guys complete their stuff as inspiration. I am a neat freak so really appreciate the way you have finished everything. Sorry one more question, haven't seen too many pics or suggestions on how guys are running the wiring to the back of the cars so if you have a pic of that too would be awesome. Again, wonderful car, hope you enjoy for many years to come!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Best of luck with the build and thanks for the kind words. Bob does good work and I couldn't be happier with the car.

Here is a shot of the trunk just before the tank went in. Probably the sort of thing you are after.

IMG_3398.JPG

5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

6. brady1929

brady1929

7. alchemy

alchemy

Those carbs will probably breathe better up there in the clean air.

8. swifty straights

swifty straights

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE PICS. SHE'S LOOKING SWEET!

9. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I've read about that type of carb spacer. They're supposed to work pretty good.

10. It just keeps getting better.:D

11. What are you using for intake & other goodies? Saw on IG that some stuff was being cast?

12. dmorago

dmorago

Thanks for this tread. Love how this one is progressing. Dick

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread. This is one of the nicest coupes I have seen built.

14. wex65

wex65
    from WV

It is with a heavy heart that I will be putting the coupe up for sale. :(:(

Got some fairly prolonged medical issues to contend with and associated costs etc. In short, life has gotten in the way.

I will try to prepare something in the coming weeks. It is unique car, if anyone is seriously interested PM me.

15. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

sorry to hear this wex, I really feel for you. Wishing you all the best with your health and hope you get top dollar for your car, it's worth every penny.

16. So sorry to hear of the health issues. Hope everything works out in that regard. I've certainly enjoyed every post regarding your Coupe and loved it every time I had the good fortune of seeing it in person. Keep the faith my man and best of luck going forward........Don Sutherland.

i.rant likes this.
  17. Wishing you the best, Craig.

18. loudbang

loudbang

Man that is some bad news it is a thing of beauty. Hope your issues get resolved successfully.

19. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I can't imagine how you're feeling now,as they say life is what happens in between the plans we make.
    Wishing you a quick resolution to your health issues and a successful recovery.
    I want you to know how much your build thread was enjoyed, it's attention to detail was addicting, thanks again for sharing. Best Wishes in the future.

telekenfun, Dino64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. brady1929

brady1929

I wish you good health and best wishes

Dino64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Paul, so sorry to hear about your situation. You were so generous to me when I met you at Jalporama last October. Showing me the car and all the fantastic craftsmanship. I hope you don't mind if I post a couple more pics for the thread, here's hoping your medical situation improves and you don't have to sell it. Hang in there.
    This is the part that keeps the top stable. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467232304.017516.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467232352.189165.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467232377.035123.jpg

Lil'Alb, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  22. Sorry to hear Paul. All the best for your future. Ralf

23. Man that sucks, I hope everything works out for you. Thanks for bringing us all along for the ride with your build thread - thoroughly enjoyed.

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tough decisions for sure but you are making the right one Wex. Wishing you be back up to speed soon. You are in our thoughts.
    Regards,
    Stogy

25. sololobo

sololobo

artist supremo at work, stunning work bro

26. Did the coupe end up selling?

27. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

28. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

I just found this thread so I apologize for bringing up something from 3 years ago. Dad and I purchased our A coupe around Nov. of 2015. I started rebuilding everything on the car for the next year basically. The Gentleman's Coupe was one of the cars that converted me from liking more of muscle car scene into being head over heels into traditional hot rods. I know I'm unlike many people my age with what I'm into car-wise, as I'm 24 now. I would love to know where the car is now, and who has it. But this was an awesome build thread to read, and I really enjoyed learning how one of my favorite hot rods was made.

29. .............It's for sale again. It's on e-bay.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. Streetside Classics. s-l500.jpg s-l500.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.